Ok I'm up for a new phone and I am undecided. its between 2 phones the G2 and the HTC HD7.

I am currently on a BB 9700 (8800 a few years ago) and I have no real complaints with the BB aside from I would like a bigger screen.

I had a windows phone before (MDA with windows 5.0) and I really liked it. I was traded out because I went through 6 in as many months. I know people didn't like the older versions of windows but I never had os issues just phone issues.

I also had an android (G1) and at the time was a little disappointed with the os. But I know it has come along way since 1.6 and is soon to be upgraded to 2.3 or 3.0

I am really favoring W7 but the lack of a keyboard has me concerned. Now the BB has had the best as nice as the 9700 is I miss my 8800 for actual typing speed. Even though the G2 has a physical keyboard its only a 4 row which is a slight minus.

So the question is it just a matter of getting used to it? I've had a keyboard going way back--- 9700,G1,8800,MDA,Sidekick2, and even a Nokia ? That flipped open with a split keyboard.

So that has me worried. I've tried it at the store but 5 min of playing is not living with it. Even with swype (need practice) so its tough to get a good feel for it.

So there you have it. Anybody go cold turkey on the keyboard and live to tell about. I'm listening.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-12-11 10:20 PM
    If you're wanting a WinMob with a physical keyboard, then this may just do the trick for you

Hope that helps. I considered it, but at the time, decided BlackBerry best suited my needs due to the BBM craze. I've since bought accessories that lock me into BlackBerry so will be sticking with them.
    01-13-11 09:46 PM
    I've been running the Focus on AT&T, smaller screen than the HD7 but its WP7 none the less.

I will say that I don't bang out long emails anymore, I just wait and do them on the computer as one is always around me. Typing is Ok, but I'm much better on a Blackberry keyboard. That being said, I know a few people that have landscape sliders and tend to do most typing with the soft keyboard anyways. With sliders I hear that it's only open for major typing as texting, browsing and search text entry gets done with it closed as it's short and sweet.

Android has come along way since the G1 and both platforms add features that Blackberry does not have currently, since you don't seam to fret the OS too much maybe just go with your hardware of choice? You always have 30 days to return it for the other one after all. I think either would be a good choice but there is an odd design with the G2, the screen hangs on the hinge when upside down. Might wanna google some pics as I have read using it in bed while open is an issue.
    01-14-11 11:51 AM
    I looked at the HTC7 Pro and while it looks like what I want its not a TMO phone so its pretty much a no go.

I guess its hard to say what I would really like. I've had android but it may be a lot better, I had a winmo and it may just suck. It seems like a crap shoot.

I know some are very comfortable with a soft keyboard but I know given a choice ( on the same phone ) I always popped open the hard keyboard. Granted I won't type a term paper on my phone but I have written a 4 page report on a sidekick and an MDA.

TMO doesn't work at the house so any internet is via a desktop so the lying in bed issue is moot. The wif would prop break my phone if I brought it to bed.

I will prob go with the htc and if io can't get used to it in 3 weeks send it back and swap out to a G2

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-14-11 10:14 PM
    i have the HTC HD7 on Tmobile. Coming from a 9700 BB, I would have to say I type just as fast if not faster. Keep in mind there is a learning curve and you have to tweak settings to your liking. I personally like to hear the clicking sound to sure i'm hitting the key and the auto correct/predict text is amazing on wp7.

I've used my friends Android phone (Droid X) and she agreed with me that its complicated and the learning curve is even greater. I'm a programmer and gadget ***** and she was shocked when I was lost when using an android device. It's just not setup up with common sense. Setting and apps are not in places where you would expect it to be or common sense you tell you it would be there. So pretty much you have to forget everything you know and just go with the follow.

for ease of use and to get in and out quickly WP7 all the way and the HD7 gives a bigger screen for faster typing and long emails. Now if you don't mind the greater learning curve of the Android then go for it, they have a lot of devices with keyboards. The fragmenting of the OS can be of some concern but if you don't care about that then go for it. In the end you just want to love the phone you purchase regardless if others don't think so
    01-18-11 01:47 PM
    AS nice as the G2 looks I am going with WP7. I will have to report back as soon as I get it up and running.
    01-20-11 10:19 PM
    I've used my friends Android phone (Droid X) and she agreed with me that its complicated and the learning curve is even greater. I'm a programmer and gadget ***** and she was shocked when I was lost when using an android device. It's just not setup up with common sense. Setting and apps are not in places where you would expect it to be or common sense you tell you it would be there. So pretty much you have to forget everything you know and just go with the follow.
    You honestly couldn't find the app drawer and the settings app within? Or you didn't realize you could just press the menu button and click settings right fromt here? For a programmer and gadget *****, I find that really hard to believe. Common sense would be to check the app drawer for the settings app.

Yes the learning curve is greater than WP7 and iOS, but their is also more customization and features offered by Android devices. I fully learned Android within 2 weeks. I found the settings app within a minute or playing with Android.
    01-21-11 03:54 PM
    Maybe things were getting BLURry?
    01-21-11 07:13 PM
    Maybe things were getting BLURry?
    The settings are still in the same spot. All the BLUR in the world couldn't prevent you from finding it. Especially when BLUR on the DX is not the full version of BLUR.
    01-21-11 09:04 PM
    A good keyboard can speed up your typing considerably and can even help you type without looking. A poor keyboard on the other hand is all about pressing the exact proper keys one at a time. A good keyboard enhances the user experience by giving him more confidence in typing, especially on a QWERTY keyboard.

02-10-11 02:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD