It's a sad world we now live in.
    I think it's a wonderful world we live in. I love the fact that we live in a time when tech changes so quickly. I love that big companies get small and small companies get big so easily. That means there is an opportunity for everyone, and no one can sit on their laurels. Not BlackBerry. Not Apple. Not Facebook. No one.

And I love that I can follow my family 10,000 miles away just as easily as I can when 50 miles away. I love that I can meet circles of people who have interest in BlackBerry, and a different circle who loves great cars, and another circle who love watches, etc. These are all people I would never have conversations with before because I never, ever would have had any contact with them at all.

You could think of it negatively as these tools replace human interactions. I don't really see it that way. I think they augment them and expand them. OK, maybe it puts your favorite phone company at risk because they failed to keep up with the world, but that shouldn't take away from the bigger picture I hope.
    JeepBB, ubizmo and Elephant_Canyon like this.
    05-27-16 02:54 PM
    And yet Blackberry is still hanging in there....
    But fat lady Is singing .
    Warming up.....
    05-27-16 03:12 PM
    Back then it did seem viable. And it is probable the best OS on the market for a mobile device. But people buy platforms not OS.

Looking back, as things were (can't change the past).... from the PlayBook's release to the Z10, Q10, Q5 on onward. When was there a moment when BlackBerry really had a chance?

If we could time travel and advise Mike and Jim (and they would listen), yes BB10 could have become a viable product. But as is, it never really had a chance. After the launch failures BlackBerry was just going through the motions to sell devcies based off their existing userbase and fans... but that was a short term plan as each year fewer existing users or even fans were willing to settle for what BlackBerry was offering.

This post about the troubles that Microsoft has faced and the money they have sunk into Window 10/Mobile.... just shows that waiting till 2013 to compete with the two dominant OS was just too late.
    So you are admitting it was a viable product but handled badly? You said it was never viable. Having a chance and not a viable product are two different things.
    05-28-16 10:02 PM
    Like BlackBerry, Microsoft is not trying to compete in the consumer phone market. They are betting that business customers will buy a mobile device that runs a full version of Microsoft Office.
    And like BlackBerry that's a bad bet. There is no such thing as a "work phone" any more, just consumer phones that have to be wedged in to a different shaped hole to get them to do what workplaces need.

Even Microsoft themselves develop their mobile office and other MS apps for iOS and Android first now and Windows phone last. Windows phones from Microsoft are just going to be trophy piece curiosities like the overpriced and not really needed Surface Book and Surface Hub.

Meanwhile businesses won't buy devices with a baron app ecosystem. Universal apps that could run and be usable and productive on a Windows 10 desktop, tablet and phone have a long way to go yet, another bet that may not work out due to lack of developer interest and Microsoft not quite delivering what they promised them.

Posted from the CB10 app on my BlackBerry Z30 STA100-2/10.3.2.2789 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.6.28
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-04-16 08:08 AM
54 123