Why would someone want to use this feature? What is wrong with Microsoft? This has hijack, privacy and security problems written all over it.

Wi-Fi Sense? - F-Secure Weblog : News from the Lab
    09-05-14 02:31 PM
    That does seem a bit risky. I get the convenience side of it, but probably pushing it a bit too much.

I don't get what's the benefit of sharing wifi credentials on Facebook... perhaps I'm missing the point.

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    09-05-14 02:40 PM
    How about the "automatically accept terms for me" part. What in the.....
    Here we go again with the "convenience" bologna. A person is going to take that kind of risk for "convenience"?
    09-05-14 02:53 PM
    Hi, I use Windows 8.1 and would like to clarify how WiFi sense works. Firstly, it only connects to publicly vetted WiFi points like Starbucks, MacDonald or O2. Secondly, the details it sends up are not your actual details. They are literally [email protected] and a random name. I get amused when O2 refers to me as "Bobby" . Finally , sharing details is an optional thing that you have to tick to enable, and they don not get your password ever, only access to the WiFi.
    09-05-14 03:19 PM
    Hi, I use Windows 8.1 and would like to clarify how WiFi sense works. Firstly, it only connects to publicly vetted WiFi points like Starbucks, MacDonald or O2. Secondly, the details it sends up are not your actual details. They are literally [email protected] and a random name. I get amused when O2 refers to me as "Bobby" . Finally , sharing details is an optional thing that you have to tick to enable, and they don not get your password ever, only access to the WiFi.
    I'm still unclear as to what is the point of it? What does it help a user with? How is it different than just checking for available wifi networks and selecting one? Why is it sending anything "up" to start with? If they don't get the credentials, what do you mean by "only access to the wifi"?

Thanks for the info!

Posted via CB10
    09-05-14 03:35 PM
    I'm still unclear as to what is the point of it? What does it help a user with? How is it different than just checking for available wifi networks and selecting one? Why is it sending anything "up" to start with? If they don't get the credentials, what do you mean by "only access to the wifi"?

Thanks for the info!

Posted via CB10
    I'm with you. I don't get the supposed benefit of this. If a WiFi network is discovered by the phone, it will connect to it automatically? I would rather search for available networks and select one I feel somewhat safe connecting to. If it needs more info from me, then forget it.
    Again, I posted this thread to get opinions because I don't see why this could be construed as any kind of benefit.
    09-05-14 05:01 PM
    The McDonald's hotspot is garbage where I go to. The page to load to accept the terms often takes 30 or 60+ seconds to load, and I often get re-prompted to be taken to the hotspot page before the initial page even finished loading. I really have not experienced any worse hot spot login, ever, and I include being on Mexican resort with a -90dBm signal.

So on the best of times, its 30+ seconds to get onto McDonalds wifi. If it was whitelisted and immediately got an IP when I walked in there, that is not only 30+ seconds saved, but I'll actually use the wifi instead of my cell data (got tons, didn't care).

Shaw and Telus hot spots are just seamless since I have Koodo.

Since we're talking about McDonald's, I'll use this space to ***** about retired people who go and get a coffee and a muffin and park there for hours, hogging up the newspapers and tables. Yesterday, this particular couple were walking in with previous day's $1 pop cups. God damn that pisses me off.
    09-05-14 07:35 PM
    I'd also like to know how its legal to accept the terms without actually reading them. If if you have to read them the first time, and then it detects the next terms are exactly the same and auto-accepts, I can understand.

But if I was providing the service, and the intended users were not agreeing to the terms, I'd be pissed.
    lift likes this.
    09-05-14 07:41 PM
    Haha wow there is a lot of paranoia in this forum. It's always funny coming back to Crackberry and seeing people with tinfoil hats turning positive things negative. It kind of reminds me of the people who were going on an on about how automatic updates from the Windows Phone Store are useless and shouldn't be made because who needs options? The part of WiFi sense that you guys are talking about is an optional, opt-in feature that you have to specifically go to the app and check a few boxes before it'll work. It is just a more convenient way to connect to places like McDonald's and Starbucks that saves you the time from accepting terms and conditions if you so choose to. Not everyone cares if their phone connects to something. They just care that they have WiFi and accept the convenience. For those who don't like it, they don't ever have to turn it on.

The other part of WiFi sense is that if someone with a Windows Phone that you are friends with wants your password to your personal WiFi, the two of you can both turn that part of it on and they can connect to your WiFi network without you having to give out your password. It's really convince and I actually used it last weekend.
    09-05-14 11:23 PM
    Haha wow there is a lot of paranoia in this forum. It's always funny coming back to Crackberry and seeing people with tinfoil hats turning positive things negative. It kind of reminds me of the people who were going on an on about how automatic updates from the Windows Phone Store are useless and shouldn't be made because who needs options? The part of WiFi sense that you guys are talking about is an optional, opt-in feature that you have to specifically go to the app and check a few boxes before it'll work. It is just a more convenient way to connect to places like McDonald's and Starbucks that saves you the time from accepting terms and conditions if you so choose to. Not everyone cares if their phone connects to something. They just care that they have WiFi and accept the convenience. For those who don't like it, they don't ever have to turn it on.

The other part of WiFi sense is that if someone with a Windows Phone that you are friends with wants your password to your personal WiFi, the two of you can both turn that part of it on and they can connect to your WiFi network without you having to give out your password. It's really convince and I actually used it last weekend.
    I get the first part,.. that sounds fine, although the TOS are not there just to give a lawyer something to do. I'm sure someone down the line will regret having had this enabled. But as you say, convenience trumps considering risks.

The second part is different. I get what you mean when you say "without you having to give out your password," but what are passwords for if not to determine who gets to open the door? In any case, unless your phone is creating a new "sub-wifi" network, it's clear that the password has to have been given to your friend's phone. You don't have any control over your friends phone, and whether they install risky apps, don't have a strong pass code, lend it to other people, etc. I guess it's the same as giving them (in person) your wifi password. Hopefully there are restrictions for sharing passwords that the user actually doesn't know themselves (pusehed by IT), or are meant to be restricted to only certain devices,.. like at workplaces/controlled environments.

Anyway, thanks for the explanation... sounds like a convenient feature that only makes people less aware of what's going on.

Posted via CB10
    09-05-14 11:55 PM

Thanks for the info!

Posted via CB10
    Firstly, its massively convenient. Saves time and it is a choice you need to make.
    As for the last bit it means exactly what it says.
    09-06-14 03:59 AM
    I get the first part,.. that sounds fine, although the TOS are not there just to give a lawyer something to do. I'm sure someone down the line will regret having had this enabled. But as you say, convenience trumps considering risks.

The second part is different. I get what you mean when you say "without you having to give out your password," but what are passwords for if not to determine who gets to open the door? In any case, unless your phone is creating a new "sub-wifi" network, it's clear that the password has to have been given to your friend's phone. You don't have any control over your friends phone, and whether they install risky apps, don't have a strong pass code, lend it to other people, etc. I guess it's the same as giving them (in person) your wifi password. Hopefully there are restrictions for sharing passwords that the user actually doesn't know themselves (pusehed by IT), or are meant to be restricted to only certain devices,.. like at workplaces/controlled environments.

Anyway, thanks for the explanation... sounds like a convenient feature that only makes people less aware of what's going on.

Posted via CB10
    Btw, it can only be done with Windows Phones and there are no risky apps because of how locked down it is. Also, its like opening a door and letting someone in without giving them the key. Its not the same thing as giving them the key. Check the website
    09-06-14 04:02 AM

I don't care if it is opt in or not. The feature to me seems really stupid and a giant privacy and security risk. So stop with the tin foil hat stuff. I wanted peoples opinions as to why anyone would WANT to use this. I didn't ask for people to come to this thread to start name calling and calling people paranoid. If you think people on CrackBerry are paranoid, then maybe you should consider it is not paranoia but a true sense of what security and privacy is all about. If you like giving away passwords and you like using unsafe platforms like Apple and android. Good for you. Go use them. But I think coming to a BlackBerry forum and making fun of people here that are security and privacy conscience is kind of low.
    09-06-14 10:51 AM
    I don't care if it is opt in or not. The feature to me seems really stupid and a giant privacy and security risk. So stop with the tin foil hat stuff. I wanted peoples opinions as to why anyone would WANT to use this. I didn't ask for people to come to this thread to start name calling and calling people paranoid. If you think people on CrackBerry are paranoid, then maybe you should consider it is not paranoia but a true sense of what security and privacy is all about. If you like giving away passwords and you like using unsafe platforms like Apple and android. Good for you. Go use them. But I think coming to a BlackBerry forum and making fun of people here that are security and privacy conscience is kind of low.
    WiFi Sense FAQ for Windows Phone | Windows Phone How-to (United Kingdom)
    lift likes this.
    09-06-14 03:39 PM
    Thanks for the explanation. I use WP8 and didn't know about it LOL.

Long as it's optional, I'm good.
    lift likes this.
    09-06-14 04:11 PM
    Thanks for the explanation. I use WP8 and didn't know about it LOL.

Long as it's optional, I'm good.
    Its in 8.1, on first install or setup it queries yoi
    09-06-14 06:55 PM