http://bgr.com/2013/07/29/nokia-lumia-1020-sales/

Posted via my white Z10. LG banter- blackberry bold 9900- Z10
    R Field likes this.
    07-29-13 07:35 PM
    Despite critical acclaim, Lumia 1020 said to be off to slow start

By*Brad Reed*on Jul 29, 2013 at 6:35 PM
    Nokia’s*Lumia 1020*has been*the most impressive Windows Phone released yet*with a camera that sets the bar for smartphone picture quality. Just because the device has received critical accolades, however, doesn’t mean that it’s going to be a top seller, especially with its $300 on-contract price tag.*

Barron’s*points us*to a new note from Baird analyst William Power, who says that*Nokia’s*latest flagship phone has gotten off to a slow start despite being*hailed as a potential breakthrough device for Windows Phone 8.“Last week, we visited and contacted AT&T stores to gauge early sales of the Nokia Lumia 1020,” Power writes. “Reps we spoke with were nearly unanimously positive about the device’s hardware, especially with the performance of the 41-megapixel camera. In contrast, those same reps were quick to point out that early sales were modest at best.

”The reason for the middling sales, says Power, were fairly predictable: The high price tag and anxiety about switch from iOS or Android to Windows Phone.“When asked what was limiting consumer adoption of the 1020, reps commonly cited the $300 price target and consumer concern with switching over to a new OS as the biggest hurdles,” he explains. “We only found a handful of stores that sold out of the device on launch day, and in several cases, we were the first people to ask specifically about the 1020.”
    Quote of the story.
    07-29-13 07:41 PM
    Well it is a niche phone so I honestly wouldn't expect mind blowing sales. I would expect consistent, steady sales, but nothing extraordinary.
    bekkay and keypad like this.
    07-29-13 07:45 PM
    It's interesting that they note switching platforms as a big reason for the device not selling because that very same reason is a big part of bad sales in the US. In addition to poor marketing, people just aren't easily swayed to change platforms to something that's unknown to them. I do however hope windows and blackberry can gain traction because the more competition we have the better.
    keypad likes this.
    07-29-13 07:46 PM
    Well it is a niche phone so I honestly wouldn't expect mind blowing sales. I would expect consistent, steady sales, but nothing extraordinary.
    Agreed. But maybe Microsoft doesn't think that. They probably look at it as a flagship and should sell like one. After all they overestimated the surface sales and priced it too high very badly and even admitted it.
    07-29-13 07:48 PM
    Agreed. But maybe Microsoft doesn't think that. They probably look at it as a flagship and should sell like one. After all they overestimated the surface sales and priced it too high very badly and even admitted it.
    I think the pricing of the 1020 is fine right now because of who it is targeted to. It is obviously targeted towards photographers. They will save money in buying just a phone instead of a phone AND a digital camera. But the Surface could have been priced about $100 less or it should have been bundled with a touch or type cover.
    07-29-13 07:54 PM
    WP8 is the problem here, would make me hesitant too.
    07-29-13 07:58 PM
    WP8 is the problem here, would make me hesitant too.
    I don't see how WP8 is the problem.
    LewLew23, Etios, lasm2000 and 2 others like this.
    07-29-13 08:06 PM
    It's interesting that they note switching platforms as a big reason for the device not selling because that very same reason is a big part of bad sales in the US. In addition to poor marketing, people just aren't easily swayed to change platforms to something that's unknown to them. I do however hope windows and blackberry can gain traction because the more competition we have the better.
    I don't even think this is that true. People are willing to try new OSes, but the average person heavily relies on what friends, family and sales people tell them. If those people say to go with the most popular, that is what they tend to do.
    barefootpoet and keypad like this.
    07-29-13 08:13 PM
    I don't even think this is that true. People are willing to try new OSes, but the average person heavily relies on what friends, family and sales people tell them. If those people say to go with the most popular, that is what they tend to do.
    I agree with mace123987 on this one. People buy either based on what appears to have the best specs or what everyone else has. I would also like to point out that Microsoft's and Nokia's marketing has been pretty damn good. Microsoft has pumped out some genius (mainly on Windows 8 but there has been some good Windows Phone 8 marketing as well). And I agree, scorpiodsu, the more competition the better. It forces companies to innovate and create better products.
    keypad likes this.
    07-29-13 08:28 PM
    I don't see how WP8 is the problem.
    I don't see how it's making people buy it.
    keypad likes this.
    07-29-13 08:34 PM
    I think it's perception, like BlackBerry. Let's face it, Windows doesn't have the best reputation when it comes to the core OS...

Anyone other than Android / iOS has an uphill battle to fight.
    keypad likes this.
    07-29-13 08:42 PM
    Smartphone market is in stasis right now. Everyone is moving phones more slowly.
    keypad likes this.
    07-29-13 08:54 PM
    People could say the same thing about BlackBerry, iOS, or Android. It is personal preference. I love BlackBerry and I like Windows Phone. Not a fan of Android and I don't really like iOS. They all have their fans and haters.

I think it's perception, like BlackBerry. Let's face it, Windows doesn't have the best reputation when it comes to the core OS...

That too. But again, the marketing for Windows Phone is much better than that of BlackBerry which is helping Microsoft out with the market share and why Windows Phone seems to be in a solid 3rd for right now while BlackBerry is lagging behind.
    07-29-13 09:00 PM
    Microsoft didn't price the Lumia 1020. *shrug* It's all on Nokia.

I'm not surprised by the lackluster sales. It's priced high and the specs are mediocre. It'll probably still have a cult following (ala 808) assuming Nokia doesn't release another Pureview device for a while.
    07-29-13 09:01 PM
    That too. But again, the marketing for Windows Phone is much better than that of BlackBerry which is helping Microsoft out with the market share and why Windows Phone seems to be in a solid 3rd for right now while BlackBerry is lagging behind.
    No argument here.

Just saying that like BlackBerry, Microsoft has a big hill to climb when it comes to perception. Windows VISTA, and Windows 8 (on the desktop) were not well received in the market... There's no doubt that has an impact on their mobile sales.

Frankly speaking, Microsoft and BlackBerry both suck when it comes to marketing their products, imo.
    ajst222 likes this.
    07-29-13 09:07 PM
    No argument here.

Just saying that like BlackBerry, Microsoft has a big hill to climb when it comes to perception. Windows VISTA, and Windows 8 (on the desktop) were not well received in the market... There's no doubt that has an impact on their mobile sales.

Frankly speaking, Microsoft and BlackBerry both suck when it comes to marketing their products, imo.
    Historically speaking, pretty much lol but have you seen Microsoft's latest stuff? Their iPad spoof commercials? Genius. I can't complain about Microsoft's marketing of Windows 8. Interesting that you bring up Windows 8 giving Microsoft a bad consumer perception. I feel that by now, people have really finally warmed up to it. And with 8.1, people seem to be excited.

Here's the thing: Before, everyone was complaining that Microsoft needed to do something new with Windows (but in reality, I can't see anything more boring than Mac OSX). Then, once they finally created something new, everyone complained. Cmon, guys hahah

I digressed a bit here from the original topic lol
    07-29-13 09:19 PM

The main problem I see with Windows Phone is its UX. Yes, it's fresh, yes it's modern. But I think it's just too special to be mass compelling.

The same goes for the desktop OS. As soon as I laid hands on the updated HP Elitebook of my gf running Windows 8 I was happy that I didn't update from Windows 7 yet. It's just horrible, from an aesthetics standpoint as well as usability.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-13 09:24 PM
    So that means they aren't willing to try something new then.

Posted via Z10
    07-29-13 09:24 PM
    My Lord the phone just launched! Why must media feel the need to create negativity!

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Z10
    LewLew23 and ajst222 like this.
    07-29-13 09:25 PM
    My Lord the phone just launched! Why must media feel the need to create negativity!

Oh I couldn't agree more with you. The phone was released the 26th right? The media doesn't need to jump all over it already.
    07-29-13 09:29 PM
    Historically speaking, pretty much lol but have you seen Microsoft's latest stuff? Their iPad spoof commercials? Genius. I can't complain about Microsoft's marketing of Windows 8. Interesting that you bring up Windows 8 giving Microsoft a bad consumer perception. I feel that by now, people have really finally warmed up to it. And with 8.1, people seem to be excited.

Here's the thing: Before, everyone was complaining that Microsoft needed to do something new with Windows (but in reality, I can't see anything more boring than Mac OSX). Then, once they finally created something new, everyone complained. Cmon, guys hahah

I digressed a bit here from the original topic lol
    I'm running their latest stuff! I have the 8.1 preview build running on my desktop and it's better than the original Windows 8...

I'm not a Microsoft hater, it's more of a love/hate relationship...
    07-29-13 09:30 PM

Because BBRY and NOK stand roughly under public observation, it's like a car accident. And any phone that doesn't sell 5M units on its launch weekend or at least 10M within its first month, is considered a flop nowadays.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-13 09:31 PM
    The main problem I see with Windows Phone is its UX. Yes, it's fresh, yes it's modern. But I think it's just too special to be mass compelling.

The same goes for the desktop OS. As soon as I laid hands on the updated HP Elitebook of my gf running Windows 8 I was happy that I didn't update from Windows 7 yet. It's just horrible, from an aesthetics standpoint as well as usability.

Posted via CB10
    To be fair, I haven't tried WP8, just used the OS on the desktop. I'm not sold on the tiles UX to be honest.
    07-29-13 09:32 PM
    I'm running their latest stuff! I have the 8.1 preview build running on my desktop and it's better than the original Windows 8...

I'm not a Microsoft hater, it's more of a love/hate relationship...
    I haven't installed the 8.1 preview. I am waiting for the official release so I can soak it all in all at once . Right now my phone is the Z10, but my upgrade is August 6th. I was planning on waiting for the A10, but as that appears to be obsolete the very day it is launched, I think I might see what other high end Windows Phones there are at the time.

And I used to have a love/hate relationship with BlackBerry until BB10 haha.

But back to the thread topic and the sales numbers. TommesJay put it pretty well saying that anything that doesn't hit iPhone level sales is considered a flop. Sales aren't what I would use to see how well that WP8 and BB10 are doing. I would look at the growth rate. WP8 has a very high one. BB10...not so much. And also, the media loves to kick Nokia and BlackBerry when they're down which makes it harder for them to get back up.
    07-29-13 09:39 PM
84 123 ...