http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...ows-Phone.html
    Nokia announces 41 MEGAPIXELS in the Lumia 1020-img_00000325.png

Certainly trying to capture the camera phone market. What are your thoughts?

Posted via BlackBerry Z10
    KillerBx likes this.
    07-11-13 02:46 PM
    07-11-13 02:57 PM
    Cool, it's going to have a superb camera and crappy everything else. Plus it's a WP, and I personally hate WP's.
    zeteo likes this.
    07-11-13 03:04 PM
    yawn ......
    07-11-13 03:16 PM
    In associate news, each hi-def photo takes up 1.1 GB of non-expandable storage.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-13 03:18 PM
    Cool, I know a lot of people have been waiting for an 808 PureView equivalent with Windows Phone, and they managed to get it slimmer than the 920, quite the feat (especially when compared to the 808). This thing is guaranteed to take amazing pictures, who knows how well it will sell though.

For those who don't know, the 41MP sensor is used for oversampling/digital-zoom. You won't be saving images at 41MP resolution.
    07-11-13 03:46 PM
    In associate news, each hi-def photo takes up 1.1 GB of non-expandable storage.

Posted via CB10
    HAH!

Posted via CB10
    07-11-13 03:46 PM
    The lumia 1020 crushed every phone in photography
    07-11-13 03:54 PM
    Maybe they're trying to muscle their way into the DSLR industry? (I kid)

Posted via CB10 on my white Z10 & lovin' it!
    07-11-13 03:59 PM
    Doesn't look to bad
    07-11-13 04:43 PM
    Overkill...
    You really ought to read up on the tech behind it before you say it's 'overkill'. That high megapixel count and massive sensor size pulls off that lossless zooming and oversampling stuff.
    RaedShadi1 likes this.
    07-11-13 04:53 PM
    Lol

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.
    07-11-13 04:53 PM
    The lumia 1020 crushed every phone in photography
    You're lost Danny. You want to be posting here!
    07-11-13 04:56 PM
    You really ought to read up on the tech behind it before you say it's 'overkill'. That high megapixel count and massive sensor size pulls off that lossless zooming and oversampling stuff.
    How many people are going to make use of a camera with specs like that really? I don't doubt it's the greatest camera on the market at the moment, but it's like smashing a tack into a wall with a sledgehammer to me.
    07-11-13 04:57 PM
    Actually I think it might not be that bad. The 41MP is gimmicky, but the purpose is not to capture images at super hi resolution. The purpose is just to make it easier for users to capture great images. The images might not necessarily take up that much space, since you can use oversampling to create a 5MP image instead, and the advantage would be an image that is far superior in detail. Also, having such a high MP count meant that you could theoretically use digital zoom without losing picture quality like typical smartphones. It also gives the user to crop the image in almost anyway they want and still have a sharp image.

The camera in the Lumia 1020 is frankly as good as it gets amongst all current smartphone. Optical Image Stabilisation, Zeiss lens, 6 element lens, and Backside Illuminated sensor. I haven't looked at images taken by it, but i can imagine it will be stupendously good. THe pureview 808 already takes stunning images, and the camera on the Lumia 1020 is better in almost every aspect, BSI, OIS, 6 element lens. Then there is the Nokia camera app, that allows for manual controls over iso, exposure, exposure length, focus, etc.

Even though I am not interested in getting the phone at all, you have to give credits to Nokia for trying to push the boundary at least in some aspect. Whereas BlackBerry seems to not want to do so.

In terms of hardware, there is nothing about the Z10 that is interesting. The specs are all pretty run of the mill, so BlackBerry can only rely on their software to pull in customers. But even their software is still not that significantly better over the competition. They have a few great features, like Hub, Instant Actions, Flow. But in order to get those features, you have to sacrifice something else. Like apps ecosystem, some bugs in the OS, no remote search in emails, etc. These are all hurdles that consumers have to cross in order to get a BB10 device. It is BlackBerry's job to create more incentives, as well as removing as many hurdles as possible. I would really love to see them push the boundaries a little, no matter software or hardware.

I think BB10 has lots of great ideas in it, as well as loads of potential as well. But BlackBerry really has to be full steam ahead at this point in time and push hard. BB10 might have potential, but BB might not have the luxury of time.
    07-11-13 05:09 PM
    HTC had a phone that had what-- 5, 8, 10 megapixels plus stereoscopic cameras to take 3D pictures and a 3D screen on which to look at those pictures as well as on which to watch 3D movies. Wh- where is that phone now? How well did it do in sales exactly? Huh.
    07-11-13 05:14 PM
    The images might not necessarily take up that much space
    That was my first reaction to it actually. "If I had a camera that took 41 MP images, how quickly is my 32 GB device with no micro SD going to fill up with colossal image files?"

I still wonder how many people will appreciate the camera in the way Nokia hopes they will consider it a differentiator? My Uncle (the megapixels rule guy) would love it ... until he ran out of space. Then he'd call me asking why that was. :-) My hardcore DSLR friends will never toss their canons and nikons for this (no lenses and a host of other benefits losts) and I wonder if some consumers might even not believe it's real when most of the other point and shoot cameras they see on store shelves right now are 12-16 MP.
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    07-11-13 05:21 PM
    How many people are going to make use of a camera with specs like that really? I don't doubt it's the greatest camera on the market at the moment, but it's like smashing a tack into a wall with a sledgehammer to me.
    Pure view 808 sold decently even when saddled with little carrier support, the obsolete Symbian OS and outdated specs.
    This one is even better, has a better OS and more carrier support in Europe and will see a fully backed US release.

It'll probably sell several million units. 41MP is a great draw after all.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    07-11-13 05:29 PM
    41MP is a great draw after all.
    I guess will see. I don't personally believe that it is.
    07-11-13 05:34 PM
    HTC had a phone that had what-- 5, 8, 10 megapixels plus stereoscopic cameras to take 3D pictures and a 3D screen on which to look at those pictures as well as on which to watch 3D movies. Wh- where is that phone now? How well did it do in sales exactly? Huh.
    HTC Evo 3d, released with lackluster specs exclusively on Sprint... It didn't sell well.

No lessons to be learned from sales figures of a gimmicky crappy 3d phone

07-11-13 05:36 PM
    I guess will see. I don't personally believe that it is.
    Then you need to spend more time reading other tech blogs. Only obstacles to massive success is its $299 price tag. Apart from that, a whole lot of people take photos with their camera and this device will sound like heaven to them.

Hell, folks here claim Time Shift is a good selling point for BB10 and yet this phone has that and way more.

More hardware innovation needed from blackberry to remain on top of the game.

Alex_Hong likes this.
    07-11-13 05:43 PM
    That was my first reaction to it actually. "If I had a camera that took 41 MP images, how quickly is my 32 GB device with no micro SD going to fill up with colossal image files?"

I still wonder how many people will appreciate the camera in the way Nokia hopes they will consider it a differentiator? My Uncle (the megapixels rule guy) would love it ... until he ran out of space. Then he'd call me asking why that was. :-) My hardcore DSLR friends will never toss their canons and nikons for this (no lenses and a host of other benefits losts) and I wonder if some consumers might even not believe it's real when most of the other point and shoot cameras they see on store shelves right now are 12-16 MP.
    Which is why I said might not, because I haven't read enough to know whether that will be the case. From what I understand, the phone stores the images to allow users to 'reframe' the shot as they like, which implies that it save the hi res image on the phone. And they mentioned something about creating a 5MP version alongside the close to 40MP image. Which again is another worry. I'm hoping there's a setting to only save the 5MP version, or one that will automatically delete full res images if it hasn't been edited for a while and just keep the 5MP version. Because the non expandable storage will run out fast. Anyone who has been keeping up with all the news can chime in on this?

Even if you have cloud storage, data charges will be exorbitant, and you end up having to clear your photos on your phone every so often.

How many will see it as a differentiator is one thing, but most importantly is still how many will give up their iOS and Android devices for this camera. Take myself, I can see what's neat about it, and I like (and am impressed) what Nokia has done, but I'm still not getting the device because it's not running the OS that I prefer. And the camera in most modern smartphones are more than sufficient for my needs.

Only the sales result will tell. Lol.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9000 using Tapatalk
    07-11-13 05:58 PM
    I personally own a Nokia 808 and have to say that the camera is downright awesome.
    You don't have to take 41MP photos but the option is always there when you want a photo with absolute maximum detail and know you'll be playing with it in photoshop later.
    Otherwise, lossless zoom to 5x is a very handy feature (up to x11 in videos). Especially lossless zoom in videos! The zoom is instant, noiseless and undistorted, unlike with zoom lens.
    Have a look at 11x zoom on Youtube and you'll be impressed.

Most phones can't even resolve 8MP unless it's bright sunlight. In low light you see noise/unset pixels everywhere in the picture. This happens on the 808 at 41MP in low light too. When you set the camera to 8MP it uses pixel oversampling to remove all of that noise though so that you get a clean image.
    This Lumia is going to be many times better at low-light!
    07-11-13 06:13 PM
    Then you need to spend more time reading other tech blogs.

Come on. .. you know full well that I do. And you are a smart guy who knows full well that nerds like us who read tech blogs are not the mainstream consumer.

More hardware innovation needed from blackberry to remain on top of the game.
    Put your Elop action figure..I like Windows Phone and Nokia devices. Just saying I don't believe this is necessary or will resonate with a lot of consumers the way Nokia thinks. Wasn't doing a BlackBerry vs. Nokia/Windows Phone thing

Posted via CB10
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    07-11-13 06:15 PM
    Come on. .. you know full well that I do. And you are a smart guy who knows full well that nerds like us who read tech blogs are not the mainstream consumer.

Put your Elop action figure..I like Windows Phone and Nokia devices. Just saying I don't believe this is necessary or will resonate with a lot of consumers the way Nokia thinks. Wasn't doing a BlackBerry vs. Nokia/Windows Phone thing

Posted via CB10
    Lol. Sorry if I came across that way. I wasn't really suggesting that. We're on a BB forum after all so I tried to relate some of the discussion to BB.

I think even with 38MP pictures being around 10MB in size (just a rough guess, I really have no idea) it'll take a whole lot of pics to fill up 8gb. Ideally, you'd eventually copy out the large pics when you get home and leave the 5MP over sampled snaps in.

RubberChicken76 likes this.
    07-11-13 06:31 PM
48 12