07-18-17 09:41 AM
    When Windows phones dropped to less than 0.7% market share a year ago, I think everyone knew it was over.

They are now under 0.1% market share.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    07-18-17 09:43 AM
    No surprise
    07-18-17 10:00 AM
    BB10 is still okay though, right?

/s
    07-18-17 10:04 AM
    (moved to the WP forum)
    07-18-17 10:05 AM
    Too bad. Tablet is best for extreme mobile. Makes a windows phone a hard sell.

Sent from one of my SE Passports using BB10 superior software.
    07-18-17 10:15 AM
    Go Sailfish!
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    07-18-17 10:27 AM
    BB10 is still okay though, right?

/s
    Lmao! You know it!!!
    07-18-17 11:00 AM
    That's not official it's speculation. All it says is Windows Phone 8.1 and earlier has lost support. Windows 10 mobile is still supported.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    07-18-17 12:34 PM
    I'd say you'll continue to see Microsoft branded win10 devices. but anything on the older 8.1 and earlier makes sense to move on. Surface phone might be a hit ........
    07-18-17 01:21 PM
    if they can offer a full windows os on mobile with support for all windows applications 32-64 bit I would be interested , but eh I'm still waiting on my Ubuntu Edge to show up
    07-18-17 01:23 PM
    I'd say you'll continue to see Microsoft branded win10 devices. but anything on the older 8.1 and earlier makes sense to move on. Surface phone might be a hit ........
    If you are still in the device business (unlike BlackBerry), is it wise to drop 80% of your customer base?

This goose is cooked.
    The_Passporter likes this.
    07-18-17 01:25 PM
    If you are still in the device business (unlike BlackBerry), is it wise to drop 80% of your customer base?

This goose is cooked.
    This is Microsoft who thrives on this model, they released the Xbox 360 and stopped making games for previous gen console ,if you want new and better things, your gonna have to buy a new device. And I own win8.1 devices. I'm just saying .instead of trying to update old hardware ,drop it and leave it as is . Then make it an even playing ground for the future.
    07-18-17 01:30 PM
    This is Microsoft who thrives on this model, they released the Xbox 360 and stopped making games for previous gen console ,if you want new and better things, your gonna have to buy a new device. And I own win8.1 devices. I'm just saying .instead of trying to update old hardware ,drop it and leave it as is . Then make it an even playing ground for the future.
    Although, in this case, there is no future. There is nowhere to go from 0.1% but to zero.
    07-18-17 01:35 PM
    Although, in this case, there is no future. There is nowhere to go from 0.1% but to zero.
    What's next man!? You gonna tell me BB10 has no future either!? What about my tri-boot phone of the future. BlackAndWin10? Its slated to hit the market right after android 10.0 so they all align
    Carl Estes likes this.
    07-18-17 01:42 PM
    What's next man!? You gonna tell me BB10 has no future either!? What about my tri-boot phone of the future. BlackAndWin10? Its slated to hit the market right after android 10.0 so they all align
    Symbian on the verge of a major comeback. Mark my words!
    07-18-17 01:50 PM

This goose is cooked.
    This is exactly why I never bought a windows phone, they drop their hardware faster than a robot (Android) stripper.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by The_Passporter; 07-18-17 at 06:32 PM.
    07-18-17 05:04 PM
    Symbian on the verge of a major comeback. Mark my words!
    I'd buy that for a dollar!

Posted via CB10
    07-18-17 07:23 PM
    While Win10Mo phones may technically still exist, the OP's original statement (that if it isn't iOS or Android, it's dead) is still more-or-less correct. Without an ecosystem, a mobile platform really has no chance to survive, and as I predicted here years ago, Google has worked to slowly close access to Google Play to other platforms, but in a gradual, organic way. By moving to a different, proprietary runtime AND by requiring licensing for GMS, they're slowly squeezing out anyone trying to ride Google's coattails by trying to run Android apps on their alternative platform.

Sure, developers *could* always write a non-Google version of their Android app, such as a relative few do for the Amazon Marketplace, but most devs won't bother to duplicate their work to support such a small number of users. Really, it would be up to the other platform to attract developers to write NATIVE apps for that platform, and neither BB or Microsoft (or Ubuntu or Jolla or Tizen) have been able to do that. Without apps and services, there can be no mainstream success, and without mainstream success, the costs are just too high, making it impossible for the platform to make money.

Which, of course, is why we haven't had viable alternatives for desktop OSs for the last 35 years: without robust developer support, you can't survive, and trying to emulate support for another platform's ecosystem is a guaranteed path to failure - because apps will always run better on the native platform.

Computing platforms are incredibly complex, with an incredible number of disparate needs, and to be successful, you must be able to satisfy almost everyone - or, at least, enough to win a critical mass of people. That's a lot harder than a lot of people realize.
    07-18-17 08:20 PM
    I think somebody around here also predicted that the Z30 would be the last BlackBerry ever made.
    Now who was that again?
    07-18-17 11:51 PM
    I think somebody around here also predicted that the Z30 would be the last BlackBerry ever made.
    Now who was that again?
    Yep, that was me. And that prediction was made at a time where BB was weeks from going bankrupt, as their losses were on pace to burn through their remaining assets had drastic action not been taken - which it was, by putting the company up for sale. Of course, no one wanted to buy, BUT BB was able to survive because Fairfax loaned them 1.25 billion dollars. Without that loan, I'd have been right.

I admit that it obviously didn't go as I thought it might, but it very easily could have.
    07-19-17 12:46 AM
    (moved to the WP forum)
    Well, I'll be!!!! I did not know we had a Word Perfect forum!
    The_Passporter likes this.
    07-19-17 12:53 AM
    Yep, that was me. And that prediction was made at a time where BB was weeks from going bankrupt, as their losses were on pace to burn through their remaining assets had drastic action not been taken - which it was, by putting the company up for sale. Of course, no one wanted to buy, BUT BB was able to survive because Fairfax loaned them 1.25 billion dollars. Without that loan, I'd have been right.

I admit that it obviously didn't go as I thought it might, but it very easily could have.
    I wonder if Watsa wishes it had been.... In retrospect, would he do it again?

He and Chen "saved" BlackBerry, but financially what did that gain Fairfax? Would a firesale and a loss in 2013 have been better for him? Would we be able to buy Samsung or Google BlackBerry today if that had happened?

Microsoft and BlackBerry lost this war back in 2007... not because the iPhone or Android were so great. But because Microsoft and BlackBerry both had long term plans that didn't account for these new player, and they took to long (years) to even acknowledge what they brought to the market. For BlackBerry that isn't a surprise, but for Microsoft it was.
    07-19-17 08:36 AM
    In a way, going through the recent history makes me even more pleasantly surprised that BlackBerry was able to go forward, now with TCL, for Android devices. And we still are getting physical keyboards! We should probably count ourselves lucky and hope there is some continuing niche to make it sustainable.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-17 08:51 AM
    window phone could just license BB10 and get the on 5G wagan... (i know Conite wouldn't like it ;-). few got near death experience, apple is one, redhat is another... as for BB debt, it is only there for take over pay for the exe level (buy out) to fulfill the dream of Chen's boss, have a chnace to become google of north... heard the story he was want to buy some tech company before BB, but refused by the other company board... so BB is his sucessful bet - for take over... as for sucess of the software only BB? the jury is still out...
    07-19-17 02:26 PM
28 12