So, HP is launching a Windows 10 mobile device with a dock that offers mainstream mobile computing. They are also offering a "keyboard and screen only "lapdock" that uses the phone's processor to create a laptop-type experience.

Inside HP's plan to turn smartphones into wire-free laptops | InfoWorld
    Meet HP's Elite X3, a Windows Phone with a wireless lapdock
    http://www.windowscentral.com/hp-elite-x3-video

I'm not saying that this is the product that will change the game, but, to me, this is the future of mobile computing. A single platform for all my devices. I don't care if it's MAC, Linux, or Windows, really. I just want to stop carrying a limited function mobile device that runs completely different applications than my other computers.

Thoughts?
    02-22-16 08:26 AM
    It did not get a very good review, nor did any of it 'features'.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-16 08:42 AM
    It's a future thing, just hope it sees the light of day!

Posted via CB10
    sonicpix likes this.
    02-22-16 08:48 AM
    Had high hopes for Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile..... I "taught" having all those Windows PC's lumped together with mobile users would provide the customer base that developers would be attracted too. But I have seen no sign that the Windows Store is being supported by developers. Sadly some of the apps that MS paid to get developers to bring to Windows... haven't been updated in a long, long time.

Simple truth is how many people need more than what iOS or Android offers? I'm sure Enterprise and some individuals do... but I think the vast majority of consumers are fine.... without Windows and the "real" programs or full applications it offers.
    02-22-16 08:58 AM
    they're just making use of the continuum feature of windows 10.
    DarkJoker33 and Laura Knotek like this.
    02-22-16 09:01 AM
    The X3 seems to be geared towards enterprise users, not consumers. However, enterprise won't adopt it as long as it lacks apps. There are very few apps for the medical, legal, and real estate professions in the Windows Store.
    02-22-16 09:30 AM
    I'm not saying that THIS is the device that will change things. We're still a couple of years away from the next phase of mobile technology. But thinking that the current crop of mobile OSes and apps are the future is short-sighted IMO. For one thing, many mobile apps are provided by companies that have yet to turn a profit. At some point, investors will want a return, and you will start to see hundreds of orphaned apps, while at the same time, the mobile web will continue to gain functionality. The trend will be towards convergence of applications and OSes on multiple devices. Like I said, I don't care WHICH solution wins, just so long as I don't need to carry around so-called "smartphones" that are less powerful than my laptop from a decade ago for getting actual work done on the go.

90% of the time if I need to perform analysis, edit important documents, prepare a presentation or do any other significant work, I have to pull out my laptop to get it done. I see that changing in the next 2-3 years. Smartphones profitability has already peaked, and the devices will become more and more commoditized and lose their luster. Apple, Microsoft and Google are all already thinking about combining computing and mobile on a single platform. There will be some degree of backwards compatibility for apps, but it's silly to think that the current mobile OSes, which are really very, very limited in terms of security, networkability, I/O cababilities, etc., are the future of mobile computing.

It took almost 20 years for the convergence of mobile phones and computers to really get started, but it's hard to think that it's not inevitable.

For most enterprise users, having a single device with multiple I/O configurations for different contexts would be a huge boon. You would be able to use any and all combinations of the following:
    -- Phone only for light duty
    -- Phone and "lapdock" for the full keyboard/screen/peripherals experience on the go
    -- Phone and docking station for multiple monitor support and network connectivity in the office or at home.

There are many users who appreciate apps because they are not at a computer. There are fewer people who need to pick up their phone when they have a full size monitor, keyboard and broadband internet connection at hand. I for one would replace my mobile phone/laptop combo with a single device that functions as a laptop, desktop, and mobile device in a heartbeat. And for many businesses it's an even more obvious win because of huge potential cost savings.
    bunky1971 likes this.
    02-22-16 10:02 AM
    Very simply put, No.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-16 10:16 AM
    Windows phone been around every now and then like some transients, but they are, we'll, just like that. Transients, drifters. Now you see me, now you don't. Just don't go there.. I have owned many windows phone from old HTC days till 930, and they all in some stage of beta. Never ending.

Passport SE
    02-22-16 10:19 AM
    I would rather use my laptop but looks cool

Blackberry Passport Running 10.3.2.2813
    nmduc073 likes this.
    02-22-16 10:41 AM
    Hmm. Foleo. Redfly. Lapdock. I see a trend here, and it's not a good one.
    02-22-16 09:23 PM
    Yes, and it will be interesting to see if this goes anywhere.
    02-22-16 10:13 PM
    It did not get a very good review, nor did any of it 'features'.

Posted via CB10
    How good of a review could it possibly get from the showroom floor?
    Rello, dolco, Deckard79 and 3 others like this.
    02-22-16 10:41 PM
    Until Windows Mobile is x86, it won't gain much traction. No one was interested in Windows RT and that is basically Windows 10 Mobile's continuum feature, atm.

I can see how HP decided to release this phone in preparation for x86 Windows Mobile, though. HP wants to establish itself as a player in the ecosystem in the event it may take off.
    02-23-16 07:11 AM
    Looks as though it has the potential to be a really good device.

Could be my next purchase.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-16 07:22 AM
    Not a bad thing - it's a great feature. Really it's what BlackBerry were attempting under Heins (but couldn't get anywhere near perfecting).

Posted via CB10
    02-23-16 07:25 AM
    Base with internet wired plug ... I've been waiting for this (with moderate search) sooo long ...
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and Deckard79 like this.
    02-23-16 07:55 AM
    Until Windows Mobile is x86, it won't gain much traction. No one was interested in Windows RT and that is basically Windows 10 Mobile's continuum feature, atm.

I can see how HP decided to release this phone in preparation for x86 Windows Mobile, though. HP wants to establish itself as a player in the ecosystem in the event it may take off.
    When Windows 10 Mobile can run ALL applications that run on Windows 10 Desktop, then we are talking. Now that is truly continuum, otherwise yeah, it is Windows RT all over.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-23-16 09:35 AM
    It does look nice and dual sim is pretty sweet. probably do better in the rest of the world then in the US.
    bunky1971 likes this.
    02-23-16 11:49 AM
    Hmm. Foleo. Redfly. Lapdock. I see a trend here, and it's not a good one.
    All the stuff you mentioned are pretty slapped together. This is at least continuum and MS has a lot of money to throw at this.
    bunky1971 likes this.
    02-23-16 11:52 AM
    When Windows 10 Mobile can run ALL applications that run on Windows 10 Desktop, then we are talking. Now that is truly continuum, otherwise yeah, it is Windows RT all over.
    90 percent of people use browser and microsoft Office only. It's a beautiful device, I dare to say I can probably work off of it most of the time with citrix and remote desktop connection to PC while I'm on the go and need to open something x86.
    Last edited by antonio266; 02-23-16 at 01:32 PM.
    02-23-16 11:54 AM
    This is the most excited I've been about a phone in years. If BlackBerry falls, I know where I'll be going...
    Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    02-23-16 02:57 PM
    90 percent of people use browser and microsoft Office only. It's a beautiful device, I dare to say I can probably work off of it most of the time with citrix and remote desktop connection to PC while I'm on the go and need to open something x86.
    Those 90% are better off using Android and MS apps which are in many cases are better than the Win10 mobile versions. MS is putting alot of resources into Android.

Example an experimental Android keyboard called Microsoft Hub. Win10 fans not happy.
    02-23-16 03:35 PM
    I did not see this thread earlier and posted one in regards to this new device and HP making a play for the business realm. Noted in the HP ad there is even a tile that is BlackBerry news related. I suspect that was not by mistake. In the corp health insurance world I played in for 12 years (prior to buying our company) 5 years ago it was and still is Windows based. Our business is Windows based. My laptops are Windows based. (I own an Xbox One) If this device delivers it may be my next mobile device. If Microsoft can and does speed along Win 10 for personal and Corp the devs will no doubt come. Far too many touch points to ignore. If it's unlocked and reasonable the other mobile OS's best be mindful. Intel is lurking and ready to rise as well in the mobile world as well.

The newest member....Cobalt Classic
    02-23-16 03:47 PM
48 12