That is precisely why I'm confused. I love my playbook but I'm not sure I need full fledged windows in a tablet form with a kick stand that has only two positions open and closed. Its not so much the productivity proposition as opposed to the portability one. I guess I'm more of a tactile person and I'd have to touch it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

You don't have to bother. Arstechnica, Engadget, Gizmodo, theVerge et al have touched it and all have EXTREMELY positive impressions.

Windows RT isn't 'full-fledged' windows. You'll spend most of your time in metro mode, which is a fully capable tablet OS on its own. You'll also be able to launch an enterprise grade Microsoft Office installation in a jiffy, plus a desktop class web browser (IE10) if you wish.

At 9.3mm it's thinner than the Playbook and it's pretty light too. Anyone who has no issues carrying around an iPad should have no issues with this one.

if you don't need the kickstand, you can easily leave it closed and use it like any other tablet on the market. Yes, even one handed!
    06-19-12 06:45 AM
    They are about to announce the price...If the price is right...it may very well be the ipad killer...
    How's that ?

My guess is Microsoft will price at around the $499 to $599 range, effectively pricing themselves out of the market.
    I am sure at the end of this quarter, Apple will be releasing iPad sales. 15 million + of a $499 to $829 device, plus a few million of the $399 iPad 2.

i had a few zunes, it could have been the ipod killer but they decided not to market it.
    Zune and its subscription service looked okay on paper, but if you already have a media collection, why pay a subscription ? Besides what if it wants to verify your subscription at the start of a seven hour flight ? You're SOL. All the marketing in the world couldn't have changed that.

I just checked, my PB still works. The 2 dollar hdmi cable still works too when I plug it into my tv. Have you used a PB? its amazing.
    Cables are so 2000. It's amazing compared to what ?
    Last edited by Mr.Willie; 06-19-12 at 08:33 AM.
    06-19-12 07:54 AM
    Lots of delusional fanboys here...for Pete's sake, the Win 8 RT version is thinner than the Playbook, has a superb build quality, a very impressive kickstand and will launch with probably as many big name apps as the PlayBook currently has. In the coming months the Win RT metro platform will easily outstrip the number of apps available to BB10/Playbook (C'mon, this is Windows we're talking about).

Also this will ship with a full fledged copy of Microsoft Office built in!

All you folks babbling about 'getting Sh!t done' on your RIM devices, here's a tablet that's actually going to let you have loads of productivity on it....and yet all some folks can do is to scoff
    I don't know about delusional fanboys, just brand loyalty at play.

Having said that I think you are right on the money with your other points. Business will invest in the Surface Pro model because it makes sense. Surface Pro will be pricey but training costs will be virtually non-existent. Just move all of your stuff from your current Windows computer to this Windows computer and get back to work.

I have no idea if consumers will like this product. I'm in business and we like what we see. We will buy this product as soon as it is available.

Yes, it matters that MS is building THIS 10" tablet.
    Last edited by laterBB; 06-19-12 at 10:21 AM.
    06-19-12 10:16 AM
    I don't see the consumer market for this device at all beside may be design company.
    06-19-12 01:36 PM
    I think it'll eat into iPad sales. I know tons of people who bought an iPad becuase they wanted something more portable than a laptop. I'm one of those people who wants a tablet but would love something that integrates with my PC like the iPad does with Apple computers.
    How does this integrate with your PC? The iPad can be a companion device to a Mac with services like iCloud, which keeps a lot of information in sync, but it does not replace a Mac. It is a different beast. The Surface is not a companion to a PC; it IS the PC. You can buy a PC today, running a fairly complete version of W8. Surface is just a different form-factor with many trade-offs.
    06-19-12 01:44 PM
    I don't see the consumer market for this device at all beside may be design company.
    Funny, The now departed RIM CEOs once made a similar statement like this about the just released iPhone in 2008
    Last edited by texazzpete; 06-19-12 at 03:34 PM.
    06-19-12 03:21 PM
    I am not convinced, there is a huge market for $1000+ tablet for Pro Version. There have been Windows Tablets for years now and have not been huge sellers. Perhaps for specialized needs, executives, sales people and other road warriors. Nevertheless, Asus Eee Windows Tablet (EP121) with 32GB is not flying off the shelves. But iPad is filling this gap now with tablets at $399+ price point. Even older iPad 2 at $399 is a compelling device for enterprise. It comes down to cost, would a CIO choose $399 iPad 2 or the new Surface RT at $499+? The deciding factor will be cost and relevant software. Today, Microsoft does not have the same clout with software developers as it did 5 or 6 years ago. SAP, Oracle, Cisco, IBM, Saleforce.com and Adobe are all developing iPad software for enterprise. Apple has developed a huge lead the last 2.5 years in mobile computing.

Microsoft will have to be very aggressive on price to buy market share. Similar to BYOD in smartphone, employees will choose the tablet he or she is familiar and comfortable with, and today, it's the iPad. It's good enough. I see similarities to Zune mistakes. Zune failed because the buying public did not see it as better than iPod but just another "me-too" product. The Surface reminds me of another "me-too" product. Just my opinion. Time will tell if I'm wrong....

from Sunny Cali.
    Believe that all you want. If this ARM or Pro version is Active Directory capable then the Enterprise will be all over it even at a premium price. Even with third party development no current IOs or Andorid offers full AD integration without bloatware. You obviously don't know the enterprise very well.
    06-19-12 05:51 PM
    Get your head out of the sand. Microsoft software is synonymous with bloatware. Also there's an iOS app for that since 2010--Maas360 with Active directory features.

iPad and iPhone in the Enterprise to be Addressed in MaaS360 Webinar | ReviewsFromTheShed

Google SAP & iPad and you'll realize SAP is "all in" with this tablet.

My point is, Microsoft is late to the game, again. This tablet will have to priced aggressively to buy market share.

I think WP 7.5 is great but from the sales figures, I am in the minority. Not sure if Windows 8 will change MS fortunes in mobile, perhaps, a niche in enterprise.

Believe that all you want. If this ARM or Pro version is Active Directory capable then the Enterprise will be all over it even at a premium price. Even with third party development no current IOs or Andorid offers full AD integration without bloatware. You obviously don't know the enterprise very well.
    06-19-12 06:27 PM
    At least Ballmer put it in the dryer and shrunk it:

Totally Tatified table computing. Nice. I think my future condo will have tables and walls like those!!
    06-19-12 06:29 PM
    I just checked, my PB still works. The 2 dollar hdmi cable still works too when I plug it into my tv. Have you used a PB? its amazing.
    Actually yes I own a 32 GB PB with a micro hdmi cord charging stand and a rapid charger. Thanks for playing
    06-19-12 10:24 PM
    How does this integrate with your PC? The iPad can be a companion device to a Mac with services like iCloud, which keeps a lot of information in sync, but it does not replace a Mac. It is a different beast. The Surface is not a companion to a PC; it IS the PC. You can buy a PC today, running a fairly complete version of W8. Surface is just a different form-factor with many trade-offs.
    Microsoft has sky drive which is their cloud.
    06-19-12 10:28 PM
    Get your head out of the sand. Microsoft software is synonymous with bloatware. Also there's an iOS app for that since 2010--Maas360 with Active directory features.

iPad and iPhone in the Enterprise to be Addressed in MaaS360 Webinar | ReviewsFromTheShed

Google SAP & iPad and you'll realize SAP is "all in" with this tablet.

My point is, Microsoft is late to the game, again. This tablet will have to priced aggressively to buy market share.

I think WP 7.5 is great but from the sales figures, I am in the minority. Not sure if Windows 8 will change MS fortunes in mobile, perhaps, a niche in enterprise.
    Riiiiiight. There's an app for that. I stand by my original assessment. Native AD with no bloated third party apps.
    06-19-12 11:19 PM
    No market? REALLY? LOL. The school system ALONE would be generous sales. I mean seriously...I can't with this forum
    06-19-12 11:43 PM
    This is Microsoft getting mad and rushing out a device that will leave consumers scratching there heads. Anyone remember micosofts attempt at a apple classic device, they called it ZUNE. IT died a horrible death.
    Rushing. Really? This is their first proper tablet - how many years after the original iPad and other tablets and you think they're rushing? I think they've actually taken a step back, seen what's available and entered with what looks like a solid tablet.

Surface looks good and I think they've given good options with the RT and Pro versions each suited to competing with slightly different products.

Whether it's an 'iPad killer' or not remains to be seen. It certainly would be nice to see though. Apple hasn't really had much competition for the tablet crown and competition can only be a good thing for consumers.
    06-20-12 12:21 PM
    They are about to announce the price...If the price is right...it may very well be the ipad killer...
    LOL. The Zune was the iPod killer, but it was about 2 years too late, just like this thing is.
    06-20-12 03:20 PM
    I think the tablet demo might demonstrate a shift in Microsoft's strategy. Less reliance on OEMs for Win 8 tablet. The more interesting question, will Microsoft unveil it's own branded/designed Win 8 smartphone in the fall?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    06-20-12 03:44 PM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD