Microsoft just announced a 10 inch tablet to compete with the dozens of tablets already in the market. It looks kinda long for a 10 inch tablet, but it looks like they will have Netflix ready to go out the box.

Even though BB10 is coming to the PlayBook, I feel somehow its going to steal the show. Since it essentially is Windows 8 on a tablet. What are your thoughts?

New 10.6-inch Microsoft Surface tablet announced, powered by Windows 8 | The Verge

After days of speculation and rumors, Microsoft's major announcement has just been unveiled at a press event in Los Angeles: a Surface tablet. We suspected the company might be working on its own tablet, and Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer revealed the device on stage at the Milk Studios in Los Angeles today. Discussing Microsoft's history with Windows, Xbox, and Kinect, Ballmer introduced a video of the company's hardware products over the years before unveiling Windows 8's companion, a Microsoft Surface.

Microsoft's Steven Sinofsky took to the stage to describe the hardware of Microsoft's Surface tablet. It's just 9.3mm thin, weighs 1.5lbs, includes a built-in kickstand and is the first PC with a magnesium case. Microsoft's Surface tablet has a 10.6-inch display, and Microsoft also unveiled a full keyboard as part of a cover accessory.
    06-18-12 06:36 PM
    Looks nice to me...hopefully rimm can get some elite 3rd party developers on board....The play book has a lot of potential.

Sent from my New iPad using Tapatalk
    06-18-12 06:39 PM
    PEN DIGITIZER!?! I'm gonna lose it!
    06-18-12 06:41 PM
    Looks nice to me...hopefully rimm can get some elite 3rd party developers on board....The play book has a lot of potential.

Sent from my New iPad using Tapatalk
    If it can run photoshop and illustrator i'm sold! just waiting for them to announce the price.
    yanicmb likes this.
    06-18-12 06:44 PM
    I love how they revolutionized "Start" buy moving it up and out of the bottom left :P
    06-18-12 06:45 PM
    If it can run photoshop and illustrator i'm sold! just waiting for them to announce the price.
    The pro version can.
    06-18-12 06:47 PM
    To me, I think it is kind of big and long. If I have the money to spend, I will not buy it. I still like RIM Playbook has the right size for me not too big nor too small.
    06-18-12 06:54 PM
    They are about to announce the price...If the price is right...it may very well be the ipad killer...
    06-18-12 06:56 PM
    32 and 64GB flavors... no front facing camera though...at least I didnt see one
    06-18-12 06:57 PM
    32 and 64GB flavors... no front facing camera though...at least I didnt see one
    They showed it early on, on the RT version.
    mikelcal likes this.
    06-18-12 07:00 PM
    HMMM I don't know what to think. Netflix, no Skype... One is going to probably cost around $700, the Intel version probably around $1,200, If the Intel version has a minimum 500GB SSD I'll go for it, otherwise, forget it..
    06-18-12 07:01 PM
    Kind of blah announcement, but if it runs a full Windows OS and is supposed to compete with Ultrabooks, then methinks it will be expensive, and will not necessarily compete with the PB. The keyboard built into the cover is cool, though.

Until BB10 fully launches, not sure if the PB will be in trouble or not, i.e. could this MS tablet be more enterprise-friendly?
    They showed it early on, on the RT version.
    Thanks, I must have missed that part..
    To me, I think it is kind of big and long. If I have the money to spend, I will not buy it. I still like RIM Playbook has the right size for me not too big nor too small.
    IDK it may have 16:9 aspect ratio. I want to like MS but the viruses and security issues keep me away, other options Linux + BB WTF !
    06-18-12 07:02 PM
    All I can say is it is not a worthy Ipad competitor, because?

1) 16:9 format..too long to hold in portrait mode, if Pad has done something right it is the form factor 4:3 ratio (book like ratio).
    2) Not looking good for one handed use for example: to hold and read something using one hand for long hours.
    3) Too heavy
    4) Too wide
    5) Runs Windows PC OS

IMO all it can do is eat into PC buyers market rather than iPAD sales.
    Mr.Willie likes this.
    06-18-12 07:09 PM

1) 16:9 format..too long to hold in portrait mode, if Pad has done something right it is the form factor 4:3 ratio (book like ratio).
    2) Not looking good for one handed use for example: to hold and read something using one hand for long hours.
    3) Too heavy
    4) Too wide
    5) Runs Windows PC OS

I think it'll eat into iPad sales. I know tons of people who bought an iPad becuase they wanted something more portable than a laptop. I'm one of those people who wants a tablet but would love something that integrates with my PC like the iPad does with Apple computers.

MS seems to have nailed it. If the reviews are as good as they look like they'll be then I'll be picking up one of these.
    yanicmb likes this.
    06-18-12 07:20 PM
    Exciting time ahead with THIS and iPad 7.8", Google Nexus 7, Kindle 10", Dell tablet, HP tablet coming.
    Good time to witness how the market unravel.
    06-18-12 07:21 PM
    No mention of price or availability makes me worried
    06-18-12 07:21 PM
    This is Microsoft getting mad and rushing out a device that will leave consumers scratching there heads. Anyone remember micosofts attempt at a apple classic device, they called it ZUNE. IT died a horrible death.
    jon4400 likes this.
    06-18-12 07:28 PM
    Exciting time ahead with THIS and iPad 7.8", Google Nexus 7, Kindle 10", Dell tablet, HP tablet coming.
    Good time to witness how the market unravel.

Do I dare ask what excites about these? LOL?! The tablet space was plenty crowded without these fellers. BTW, what ever happened to that old mantra "too little, too late?"

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk
    06-18-12 07:29 PM
    this could affect rim as some people base their phone purchase off their tablet or vice versa, this tablet may just well encourage win 8 phone purchases and eat into potential bb10 phone sales, for when bb10 comes out people might be like they already have a decent phone paired with a decent tablet that fully integrates with their desktops and has a full office integration and outlook
    06-18-12 07:36 PM

3) Too heavy
    4) Too wide
    5) Runs Windows PC OS

I agree with 1, 2 and 4.

3) Weight is comparable to an iPad's 652 g. The RT version weighs 676 g

5) From what I understood there are going to be 2 versions. One will only run ARM version of windows 8...WindowsRT the Intel version will run full on windows 8 Pro. So it won't necessarily eat PC sales, or ultrabook sales, maybe netbook sales.

Last edited by mikelcal; 06-18-12 at 07:50 PM.
    06-18-12 07:48 PM
    this could affect rim as some people base their phone purchase off their tablet or vice versa, this tablet may just well encourage win 8 phone purchases and eat into potential bb10 phone sales, for when bb10 comes out people might be like they already have a decent phone paired with a decent tablet that fully integrates with their desktops and has a full office integration and outlook
    It will be interesting to see how the integration will be with the Win 8 phones. I guess we'll know more about that in a couple of days.
    06-18-12 07:50 PM
    The death of the clunky playbook.
    anon(3750701) likes this.
    Unless it's a portable size, I'm not interested. I'm not carrying around a bag for any tablet. I'm a Windows user but this just doesn't interest me.
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD