They are the 3rd ecosystem

Posted via CB10
    10-09-13 01:57 PM
    Good for them! Some exciting hardware Nokia is putting out.
    10-09-13 02:17 PM
    All is not lost, Blackberry has a clear shot at being number three four

10-09-13 02:22 PM
    Congrats to them! Doesn't necessarily mean Blackberry is dead or that they can't get back in the game. Let's hope BB gets there stuff together in the upcoming months - before and after whatever sale may come and regain some love.

#IChooseBlackberry10
    Last edited by BigBadWulf; 10-09-13 at 02:56 PM. Reason: language
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    10-09-13 02:48 PM
    Yes, who says there isn't room for a fourth? Especially when BB10's Android Runtime has already meant getting some apps even before Windows Phone?
    10-09-13 02:55 PM
    Yes, who says there isn't room for a fourth? Especially when BB10's Android Runtime has already meant getting some apps even before Windows Phone?
    But has that stopped WP from gaining third place though?. a Android runtime isn't going to cut it.
    10-09-13 03:03 PM
    I like the Windows platform, but I dislike when people say bb10 has more of a learning curve than WP. That's false, metro UI isn't the most user friendly.

BBM channels: c00121c99 for some knowledge and c00123fca for some real hip hop
    10-09-13 03:06 PM
    But has that stopped WP from gaining third place though?. a Android runtime isn't going to cut it.
    Microsoft has more money, and more market muscle, and they frankly had an easier time convincing some large app publishers to code for Windows Phone. But it IS a distinct architecture to code for, and they don't present the same easy prospect of porting existing code that BB10 does.

Part of what has hampered some developers from launching Android ports on BB10 is that the current runtime on 10.1 is only Gingerbread. There was some suggestion, for instance, that neither Netflix nor Instagram were happy with how well their apps ran on the old runtime, and that's why they never released ports.

As of 10.2, though, we have the Jelly Bean (Android 4.2) runtime, which should improve performance and compatibility considerably. We've already seen one major app (Flipboard), and once 10.2 begins to update for current BB10 users we will see an updated Skype client.

I'd like to think this new runtime will lead to more relatively big apps getting ported over, though BlackBerry's current business uncertainty may cast a shadow over that. I'm pretty confident we'll see a few, though.
    kbz1960, BigBadWulf and bunky1971 like this.
    10-09-13 03:18 PM
    Microsoft has more money, and more market muscle, and they frankly had an easier time convincing some large app publishers to code for Windows Phone. But it IS a distinct architecture to code for, and they don't present the same easy prospect of porting existing code that BB10 does.

Part of what has hampered some developers from launching Android ports on BB10 is that the current runtime on 10.1 is only Gingerbread. There was some suggestion, for instance, that neither Netflix nor Instagram were happy with how well their apps ran on the old runtime, and that's why they never released ports.

As of 10.2, though, we have the Jelly Bean (Android 4.2) runtime, which should improve performance and compatibility considerably. We've already seen one major app (Flipboard), and once 10.2 begins to update for current BB10 users we will see an updated Skype client.

I'd like to think this new runtime will lead to more relatively big apps getting ported over, though BlackBerry's current business uncertainty may cast a shadow over that. I'm pretty confident we'll see a few, though.
    good points. But I doubt it'll help Blackberry or BB10 overall. A few big player apps is probably the best Blackberry can do to be honest. with that sale thing making devices fall of a cliff. Flipboard etc may be on BB10 first but it doesn't really mean the OS is gaining traction. it most likely means they are simple ports of the android version. while flipboard for WP is a much complicated thing. They have to make the app from the ground up. I mean start costumed made app. So Flipboard etc may be on BB but it wouldn't help much. and also it's a simple port. if the OSes was really gaining traction it should be native. like the ones on WP/Android/IOS

Posted via CB10
    10-09-13 05:26 PM
    good points. But I doubt it'll help Blackberry or BB10 overall. A few big player apps is probably the best Blackberry can do to be honest. with that sale thing making devices fall of a cliff. Flipboard etc may be on BB10 first but it doesn't really mean the OS is gaining traction. it most likely means they are simple ports of the android version. while flipboard for WP is a much complicated thing. They have to make the app from the ground up. I mean start costumed made app. So Flipboard etc may be on BB but it wouldn't help much. and also it's a simple port. if the OSes was really gaining traction it should be native. like the ones on WP/Android/IOS

Posted via CB10
    You largely make my point for me; it's more work to build a ground-up Windows Phone app than it is to port an Android one to BB10.

What you miss is that Flipboard's app is ported from its latest Android version, so BB10 will be getting pretty much the same experience as, say SGS4 users. WP users don't get the app at all. The new Jelly Bean run in 10.2 enables this, and my hope is that the whole platform will begin to gain a little traction.

From the awesome PHYSICAL keyboard of my Q10
    10-09-13 05:34 PM
    I like the Windows platform, but I dislike when people say bb10 has more of a learning curve than WP. That's false, metro UI isn't the most user friendly.

BBM channels: c00121c99 for some knowledge and c00123fca for some real hip hop
    IMHO, windows offering of Metro (I'm not sure the naming nomenclature on the Nokia Lumia 920) is a unique system for a windows phone. Windows phones to me were the HP6315/6325 and the Pharos 3470. The live tiles adjustability is a pretty neat feature, however, not having a native or accessible file system AND the inability to play mp4s is pretty horrendous.
    The camera, however rocks and the heft and solid feel of the 920 is pretty sweet also.
    The first thing I texted to apeterson93 (he's who I swapped with) was in wish I could put BB10 on the Lumia. It just feels right.
    Idk how deep M$ will dig into their pockets to keep hold of the position, and if the Z30 feels half as good as the 920, BlackBerry will have a winner.

Posted from my Kickass PlayBook pin:500F7B4A on the Blazing Fast T-Mobile H+ network tethered to a Torch 9810
    10-09-13 05:40 PM