Guess selling 10 Million phones in a quarter isn't enough to support the company. Lol jk

I switched bank when the only BoA in my place closed down in Safeway.
    It depends on who those 10 million users are. BofA would look at how many of their own customers are using WP and of those how relatively interactive those users are. Someone who keeps an emergency card with them and hardly ever logs in is a lower priority than someone who uses her card for business and would benefit from push notifications or fraud alert responses, for example. If they had many WP users who also deposits checks frequently, then that would be another argument in favor of maintaining the WP app.

Every bank is looking at those types of metrics for every platform (including particular versions of each OS)

Clearly the numbers didn't support the cost for them. That's not at all surprising for a bank with a heavy US customer base.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    JeepBB, ADGrant and Laura Knotek like this.
    01-29-15 05:52 AM
    It depends on who those 10 million users are.

Clearly the numbers didn't support the cost for them. That's not at all surprising for a bank with a heavy US customer base.
    While I agree with you, I reckon it also depends on *where* those 10 million users are.

Here in the UK, and in Europe generally if I can believe the surveys, WinPhone sales are quite strong, though still a poor 3rd compared with Apple/Android. Consequently that "worthwhile to build an App?" ROI argument can still be made over here, unlike for the US or for BB generally. Certainly my bank has an App, and I'm pretty sure all of the UK banks follow suit in providing one.

I even saw my very first TV ad a couple of months ago when the ending shot not only had the usual Apple and Google Play store logos... But there was also a WinPhone store logo!

So, here at least, WinPhone seems to have sufficient marketshare to incentivise Devs.

Off topic, but I reckon Windows10 will be a shot in the arm for WinPhone sales. If I've understood the promotional bumpf, it will be possible to run Apps universally on phones and PCs... and the prospect of being able to run my banking App (plus others) on my PC instead of having to run up the browser and log onto the website is quite attractive.
    01-29-15 07:42 AM
    I def use my bookmarks more than the apps! Asking a company to have top notch Websites, mobile websites and a app costs money! I figure as long as a company has a excellent website and even better mobile site, then who needs the app?!?

Posted on my New BlackBerry Classic
    Andy_bb_king likes this.
    01-29-15 11:49 AM
    Bank of America App Dropping Windows Support-image.jpg
    Without apps, this is not possible i think (some correct me if im wrong), there's also check deposit, logging in credit cards app with just a fingerprint or a pin
    01-29-15 11:56 AM
    Banking app's functionalities are limited and its slow. Full browser is best choice and it is even better on Passport due to wide screen.

Presented to you by real phone - Passport
    Actually it's the browser access that is limited. I can deposit checks using the (Android) app for my bank on my BlackBerry Z30, I can not do this at the Web site.
    01-29-15 12:26 PM
    I don't doubt Microsoft will be better off than they are now. But to think they or BlackBerry ever have a chance of catching up to iOS or Android at that point, is not realistic to me. Things have moved on.
    Well just Microsoft (all divisions and not just corporate) finally supporting Windows Phone would give the platform a big boost. Windows Phone may never get latest Instagram or Snapchat features but finally it is promised full featured Microsoft Office and other Windows programs since Microsoft is pushing universal apps internally.

This should give it many features/capabilities that exceed iOS/Android in certain aspects while lagging behind in others much like actual PC Windows, which has absolutely no mobile apps but all the traditional computer programs. Windows 10 will certainly make me give Windows Phone another look if it includes full featured programs like Paint, Notepad, Outlook, File Explorer, etc.

The Microsoft Surface proved that consumers actually are willing to choose Windows "mobile" devices over Android/iOS and not only that but pay a premium for it. This is a huge turning point for the company. If Microsoft can replicate the Surface's success with smartphones, Windows Phone may secure a consumer niche.
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-29-15 12:33 PM
    If Microsoft can replicate the Surface's success with smartphones, Windows Phone may secure a consumer niche.
    I agree they will certainly have a niche. For example I work on point of sale systems that ALL use Windows on the POS client. So when they roll out their mobile options it will be logical to do a lot of that in Windows [phone] and re-use the already written code. But that's a niche, only. Not to mention that the same companies will also have to dev. iOS and Android apps. You can't sell something that requires folks to replace their iPhones with Windows phones.

Microsoft seems to sort of be in the same boat with BlackBerry, albeit with a lot more options and tons of resources to figure a way out.
    01-29-15 03:03 PM
    Yes the two top players, it's good Business.
    To discriminate against other customers, a bank is a service for its customers, not some stupid chat snap or instant gram.

It's a joke and misguided for companies to exclude their own customers just because they aren't part of the big two.

 Z10
    02-01-15 05:10 PM
    You are going to see more and more non Apple/Android apps shutting down.

There's just no money in making apps for Windows or Blackberry.

Posted via my Z30 on the Telus network
    That's just not true. If you fill up a specific void in these platforms and you are a third party developer you will make money.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-15 05:15 PM
    To discriminate against other customers, a bank is a service for its customers, not some stupid chat snap or instant gram.

It's a joke and misguided for companies to exclude their own customers just because they aren't part of the big two.

 Z10
    It's a risk, yes. If that "non-big two" segment is big enough, it can punish the corporation for ignoring them.

Until then, expect companies to try to cater to the most people with the least resources. A lot of companies consider catering to the smaller OSes a bad use of resources.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-01-15 08:06 PM
    Are you insinuating you will make money with an Apple/Android app? I would wager more lose money than make it.

Sent while driving from my Crackberry.
    Possibly, but one way to cut the losses is to support fewer platforms. For some apps, a single platform strategy may make sense.
    02-01-15 11:14 PM
    Sos tinned that Microsoft doenst get respect.

So obviously the app hipsters are only developing for the duopoly. What a wonderful world.

Let me buy a skinny jeans, an Iphone and be political correct. So I have all my apps.

Posted via CB10
    02-02-15 11:45 AM
    So obviously the app hipsters are only developing for the duopoly. What a wonderful world.

Let me buy a skinny jeans, an Iphone and be political correct. So I have all my apps.
    Bank of America is run by hipsters? Are you sure you're not just using a convenient stereotype?
    john_v and ADGrant like this.
    02-02-15 11:53 AM
    It's business. BlackBerry users have to stop acting like we are owed something. Businesses are entitled to make their own evaluation on where to spend their time and money. We have the option to do business with them or not. That's how it works. Does BlackBerry write software for Linux, or only PC and Mac? Why?

If you use BlackBerry, you get a great platform, but with limited third party support. That's the reality of the situation, and it's not likely to change soon. All you can do is let Devs know we are out here and interested in their product. Then it's up to them. Demonizing them for making the practical decision they think is best for their company seems silly to me. Trying to politely convince them otherwise might be worth a try.

One real problem I see is that the Android support in BB10 falsely deflates the appearance of the BB10 user base, because many of the apps we grab appear to be going to Android users, not BlackBerry users.
    john_v and Laura Knotek like this.
    02-02-15 12:07 PM
    I agree they will certainly have a niche. For example I work on point of sale systems that ALL use Windows on the POS client. So when they roll out their mobile options it will be logical to do a lot of that in Windows [phone] and re-use the already written code. But that's a niche, only. Not to mention that the same companies will also have to dev. iOS and Android apps. You can't sell something that requires folks to replace their iPhones with Windows phones.

Microsoft seems to sort of be in the same boat with BlackBerry, albeit with a lot more options and tons of resources to figure a way out.
    Your POS apps may be built with Windows APIs but I doubt they have been built with the WinRT apis that universal apps will require.
    southlander likes this.
    02-02-15 03:25 PM
    Your POS apps may be built with Windows APIs but I doubt they have been built with the WinRT apis that universal apps will require.
    Great point. Our ATM's use Windows also, but most of that isn't even .Net, let alone written to the RT APIs. Those ATMs are effectively unrelated to Win10 or WP, except in name only.

Last edited by app_Developer; 02-02-15 at 05:45 PM.
    02-02-15 05:29 PM
    Great point. Our ATM's use Windows also, but most of that isn't even .Net, let alone written to the RT APIs. Those ATMs are effectively unrelated to Win10 or WP, except in name only.

Interestingly, the RT APIs are actually COM based (but not compatible with traditional COM). .NET requires a form of COM Interop.
    app_Developer likes this.
    02-02-15 05:54 PM
    Download and install 1mobile market. if you google it, you can download it to your desktop. Its a .apk file, place it on your device and install it. The app give you access to more apps, search bofa mobile app in 1mobile market and it downloads and installs with no problem.
    03-02-15 01:45 PM
43 12