...but when and what it will look like is still up in the air.

My best guess after everything I've been told is the switch will take place sometime at the end of 2017, beginning of 2018 when LTE has been fully deployed. There will either be an upcharge, previously suggested to be around $5, or grandfathered plans will be throttled somewhere between 10-15Mb/s. AWS1 devices will still be able to used but will run on unthrottled 3G in Vancouver and Toronto, and AWS1 LTE elsewhere.
    11-24-16 12:31 PM
    Yes. People in Toronto and Vancouver will have LTE this weekend, but only if they upgrade their plan by $5 and get one of those 2 new band 66 ready phones. Otherwise, people in Toronto and Vancouver will still have the quality and speeds they are now enjoying (well, I'm not enjoying it too much in Toronto).

My question to you is, is it possible for existing devices to be band 66 compatible? Isn't it as simple as the phone manufacturer or OS company doing some kind of patch?

Posted via CB10
    11-24-16 04:12 PM
    Yes. People in Toronto and Vancouver will have LTE this weekend, but only if they upgrade their plan by $5 and get one of those 2 new band 66 ready phones. Otherwise, people in Toronto and Vancouver will still have the quality and speeds they are now enjoying (well, I'm not enjoying it too much in Toronto).

My question to you is, is it possible for existing devices to be band 66 compatible? Isn't it as simple as the phone manufacturer or OS company doing some kind of patch?

Posted via CB10
    Not really, it's a physical antenna as well. Some phones may have an antenna that supports it.

It also comes down to the processor, the processor also has to support those bands, and only things like the snapdragon 820 and 821 support it.
    Newer devices might start supporting it.

I'm sure Huawei will be the first ones to make their models compatible.
    11-24-16 06:03 PM
    I don't agree with that, please compare 2 phones ZTE Grand X4 vs DTEK50 then you will find out the hardware difference.
    11-26-16 08:23 PM
    DTEK50 is much better than ZTE Grand X4.
    11-26-16 08:24 PM