Most of us are aware of the limitations of the AWS frequency when it comes to building penetration. Some of these issues can be handled by tower placement and aiming but quite frankly there are too many building types where it's a struggle to get a signal while inside.

One of the reasons I started using a BlackBerry device was because of its antenna, my 9000 found and retained a signal better than any other phone on the market at the time. I almost strayed at one point to Nokia, but a friend's device just didn't cut it compared to my 9700. With each generation of phone antenna technology kept/keeps getting better. Until a week or so ago I thought my Z30 was about as good as it gets, that is, until I got the Passport.

Let me explain where I live and work. My home is a 1940's double bricked house with brick interior walls, my home office is in the basement. It's always been a struggle to keep a reliable WIND signal but there have been spots in the house where there's enough of a signal to be able to have a decent phone call on. Trouble is, it was a bit flaky at times, conversations would suddenly get shut down, or people couldn't hear what I was saying. Sometimes voice would break up to such an extreme I would give up on the conversation and try another day. My sister lives in Australia and I have to call her from outside on the deck. Sometimes I would get the voice mail alert without the phone ringing first.

Things drastically improved with the Z30. Conversations lasted longer and the quality was generally OK but it was still problematic.

The Passport though has a constant 5 bars throughout the house, including the basement and people are amazed at the call quality when they speak to me. In the last week or so I've not lost a conversation, nor lost the call quality. I called my sister on Sunday and sat in my office to do it.

Where ever I go I'm getting the best call quality and the fastest data speeds I've ever experienced on WIND and I know a large part of that is the antenna quality. It's really changed my opinion of WIND as purely a second line and I'm starting to use them a lot more as my primary carrier.
    10-22-14 05:18 PM
    I still only have the Z10.. Impatiently waiting for shopblackberry to have the Passport back in stock so I can make the jump ! I have a question tho. Once you recoeved your Passport did you have to change the sim or how did it work !?

Posted via CrackBerry App
    10-27-14 08:41 PM
    I still only have the Z10.. Impatiently waiting for shopblackberry to have the Passport back in stock so I can make the jump ! I have a question tho. Once you recoeved your Passport did you have to change the sim or how did it work !?

The passport uses nano sim vs the Z which has micro, so yes, needs changing

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    10-27-14 08:45 PM
    I got a Z30 with Wind because of the Antenna, and it was great. Same deal now that I upgraded to the Passport.

Personally, I just paid 5 bucks for a guy in the mall to cut my micro sim into a nano.

Wind charging 25 bucks for a SIM is a ripoff.

I guess I could probably have gone to a corporate store, but Wind has literally the worst customer service ever.

Via passport
    10-27-14 09:43 PM

Zocster's correct, you need a nano SIM rather than the micro SIM that you have in your Z10. It's basically the same thing except with less plastic. WIND switched mine for free but I was expecting to pay after everything I read. My wife decided to use my Z30 once my Passport arrived and a different WIND store charged her $10 for the switch from a regular SIM (from a 9790) to a micro SIM. I guess it depends on where you go but try and stay with a corporate store rather than a franchise, you're more likely to get a discount on the SIM of some sort from a corporate store. Or have you current SIM trimmed at one of those accessory kiosks in the mall as John suggests. It can damage the SIM and you might have to get a new one anyway but it's more than likely a quick and cheap solution to getting a SIM that'll work.
    10-28-14 06:41 AM
    Has anyone tried this themselves?
    I have a two-step sim cutter (cuts to micro, then nano), so I have been cutting my own no problem. Doesn't damage the sim at all either, plus you need to file the sharp edges until they're smooth (you know, so it doesn't possibly get stuck). Works like a charm.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    11-04-14 01:50 AM
    Most of us are aware of the limitations of the AWS frequency when it comes to building penetration. Some of these issues can be handled by tower placement and aiming but quite frankly there are too many building types where it's a struggle to get a signal while inside.

One of the reasons I started using a BlackBerry device was because of its antenna, my 9000 found and retained a signal better than any other phone on the market at the time. I almost strayed at one point to Nokia, but a friend's device just didn't cut it compared to my 9700. With each generation of phone antenna technology kept/keeps getting better. Until a week or so ago I thought my Z30 was about as good as it gets, that is, until I got the Passport.

Let me explain where I live and work. My home is a 1940's double bricked house with brick interior walls, my home office is in the basement. It's always been a struggle to keep a reliable WIND signal but there have been spots in the house where there's enough of a signal to be able to have a decent phone call on. Trouble is, it was a bit flaky at times, conversations would suddenly get shut down, or people couldn't hear what I was saying. Sometimes voice would break up to such an extreme I would give up on the conversation and try another day. My sister lives in Australia and I have to call her from outside on the deck. Sometimes I would get the voice mail alert without the phone ringing first.

Things drastically improved with the Z30. Conversations lasted longer and the quality was generally OK but it was still problematic.

The Passport though has a constant 5 bars throughout the house, including the basement and people are amazed at the call quality when they speak to me. In the last week or so I've not lost a conversation, nor lost the call quality. I called my sister on Sunday and sat in my office to do it.

Where ever I go I'm getting the best call quality and the fastest data speeds I've ever experienced on WIND and I know a large part of that is the antenna quality. It's really changed my opinion of WIND as purely a second line and I'm starting to use them a lot more as my primary carrier.
    Can you have a nano Sim with NFC Enable from Wind? I just call Telus to negotiate last night after 10 years with them, asking for 6g of data but they did not want to offer and care so finally I decided to leave for Wind mobile as soon as I can, thanks.

Posted via CB10
    01-01-15 08:49 AM
    Can you have a nano Sim with NFC Enable from Wind? I just call Telus to negotiate last night after 10 years with them, asking for 6g of data but they did not want to offer and care so finally I decided to leave for Wind mobile as soon as I can, thanks. Posted via CB10
    As a windmobile customer, they don't yet have NFC SIM's. So you'll either have to stick it out with telus for the NFC sim OR take it as a bit of a "downgrade" and go with wind to save allot more money. But as I always suggest, test it out before you commit, there is a return policy for a reason. 30 minutes or 15 days, whichever comes first.This way, if it does not work for you, you won't be panicking. Unlock your phone (make sure IT IS NOT a soft unlock) and throw in a wind sim to ensure it works, which could save you from buying a second phone.
    01-01-15 09:11 AM
    As a windmobile customer, they don't yet have NFC SIM's. So you'll either have to stick it out with telus for the NFC sim OR take it as a bit of a "downgrade" and go with wind to save allot more money. But as I always suggest, test it out before you commit, there is a return policy for a reason. 30 minutes or 15 days, whichever comes first.This way, if it does not work for you, you won't be panicking. Unlock your phone (make sure IT IS NOT a soft unlock) and throw in a wind sim to ensure it works, which could save you from buying a second phone.
    Can you clarify 'soft unlock' as opposed to other types of unlocking?

Posted via CB10
    01-01-15 10:11 PM
    Can you clarify 'soft unlock' as opposed to other types of unlocking?

Posted via CB10
    Software/Soft-unlock is basically rooting on android, windows phone and iOS devices. On BlackBerry, i'm not sure how that would work as it confuses me to the max. :\

But one way to defeat a software unlock is to perform a factory reset.

Posted with my BlackBerry Q10 using the CrackBerry 10 application
    01-02-15 11:33 PM