My brother's contract is ending and I suggested Wind Mobile. However, I was wondering to if the Away Zone in Wind Mobile counts as roaming.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10.
    01-05-14 07:34 PM
    It does count as roaming, but they have special rates for roaming on a wind away area, and a different rate for actual roaming in different countries.

You can check those on their website.

As far as I'm aware, Wind Away does not display the roaming symbol. It just says Wind Away

Posted from the Shield Helicarrier - via Z30
    01-05-14 08:08 PM
    So if I set roaming services on the Z10 to off, I won't be charged?

Posted via CB10 on my Z10.
    01-06-14 12:47 AM
    I set roaming data to off to be safe. But with the nature of wind's zones, if you are outside of it, it is quite easy to control your usage since it mostly doesn't work.
    All major cities in canada are in "home zone", if you are outside of home zone, I get more "Emergency" only instead of "Away". Depends on where you live, the zones can make or break it.

Edit: to clarify, I live in GTA. Service with Wind is great from downtown Toronto to about Stouville Rd (North boundary). West end, I can keep going until Niagara falls and not get drop out of home zone (staying fairly close to the southern boarder or near 401). Its the east end that kills me, if you go past UTSC, service is sketchy. Ajax? forget about it. BUT if you keep going until you reach a city, i.e. Ottawa, you are golden again. While in the city, I have tiny pockets of areas that shows Wind Away, but my bill has always came back with $0 charged even if i made a call as "away". I am not sure how that works, maybe they saw that I was within their homezone when I made the call and waived it, who knows.

All in all, I am happy with wind, but you should test out where you need to be frequently!
    GSM-S likes this.
    01-06-14 12:57 AM
    I set roaming data to off to be safe. But with the nature of wind's zones, if you are outside of it, it is quite easy to control your usage since it mostly doesn't work.
    All major cities in canada are in "home zone", if you are outside of home zone, I get more "Emergency" only instead of "Away". Depends on where you live, the zones can make or break it.

Edit: to clarify, I live in GTA. Service with Wind is great from downtown Toronto to about Stouville Rd (North boundary). West end, I can keep going until Niagara falls and not get drop out of home zone (staying fairly close to the southern boarder or near 401). Its the east end that kills me, if you go past UTSC, service is sketchy. Ajax? forget about it. BUT if you keep going until you reach a city, i.e. Ottawa, you are golden again. While in the city, I have tiny pockets of areas that shows Wind Away, but my bill has always came back with $0 charged even if i made a call as "away". I am not sure how that works, maybe they saw that I was within their homezone when I made the call and waived it, who knows.

All in all, I am happy with wind, but you should test out where you need to be frequently!
    +1 This is a good description of how WIND works, I live in Hamilton and find that the same going coverage going to Niagara. Heading west out the 403 or Southwest on Hwy 6, you lose the WIND home pretty quickly. The away phone rates are pretty reasonable and I have the Data turned of when I am away. Away data can really kill you, if you are not careful, e.g. if you are using a map/gps system that continually downloads the maps as you go the meter is really running on your data.
    01-12-14 06:05 AM