05-19-17 11:14 AM
44 12
tools
    Open thread here for any volunteer that wants to reply!

In our never ending quest to get better, wanted to ask some simple questions to the incredible volunteers we have here at CrackBerry...

What can we do better around here? What works/doesn't work? Is there anything that'd make your life easier or more fun when posting in the forums?

Sound off, and don't be shy. Any feedback is good feedback!
    03-28-17 10:20 AM
    You can close threads after 2-3 years of being open with no new posts. Nothing like some smarty resurrecting a thread trying to answer a posters question from 5 years ago.

I'm certain if an issue is important enough that it may remain relevant, someone will start a new thread rather than searching (which by the way is another mess in itself) for for the answer in previously existing thread several years old.
    deremi likes this.
    03-28-17 10:37 AM
    I noticed the Forum Theme selector was gone today. Can we have that back for improved readability and efficiency? The new look just isn't for everyone.
    03-28-17 10:40 AM
    Are the threads in here only visible to volunteers?

Answer: this is visible to everyone.
    Last edited by mrfreeze; 03-28-17 at 12:37 PM.
    03-28-17 10:54 AM
    Are the threads in here only visible to volunteers?
    mrfreeze preparing scorched earth post.
    moody, Carjackd and BigBadWulf like this.
    03-28-17 10:58 AM
    Force new users to provide some basic device info.
    Carjackd likes this.
    03-28-17 11:00 AM
    I think the disused subforums could use a pruning, or at least hide them from the front page. Makes things cleaner that way.
    03-28-17 11:04 AM
    Especially in the Ask a Question forum. Not all of us are psychic.
    03-28-17 11:11 AM
    You can close threads after 2-3 years of being open with no new posts. Nothing like some smarty resurrecting a thread trying to answer a posters question from 5 years ago.

I'm certain if an issue is important enough that it may remain relevant, someone will start a new thread rather than searching (which by the way is another mess in itself) for for the answer in previously existing thread several years old.
    I agree.

Suggest maybe having an "Archive" section for old threads that haven't been active after about a year. Lock/close them out so no one can post in them, but still viewable.

Joel
    03-28-17 11:25 AM
    We need to do a better job of giving substantial feedback to users. If you don't know the answer, you don't need to post. Let someone else help.

We need to do a better job of getting more information from users too, such as device, OS. Carrier, etc.

Archiving old threads is a great idea.

A knowledge base would be great for frequently asked questions and How-to's. Maybe one that only volunteers can manage and move over questions and answers from threads. Then we can link questions in threads to the knowledge base.

A best answer designator would be good. One that works on Tapatalk and the mobile apps.

I think the biggest thing is not making posts to threads just to have more posts. Obviously the exception to that is in the Rehab area.
    03-28-17 12:18 PM
    We need to do a better job of giving substantial feedback to users. If you don't know the answer, you don't need to post. Let someone else help.

We need to do a better job of getting more information from users too, such as device, OS. Carrier, etc.

Archiving old threads is a great idea.

A knowledge base would be great for frequently asked questions and How-to's. Maybe one that only volunteers can manage and move over questions and answers from threads. Then we can link questions in threads to the knowledge base.

A best answer designator would be good.
    One that works on Tapatalk and the mobile apps.

I think the biggest thing is not making posts to threads just to have more posts. Obviously the exception to that is in the Rehab area.
    uh we have an entire database of exactly that...

CrackBerry Questions & Answers

we have whole team mobile nations wide for this in fact that Rich is the Team Leader for
    pkcable likes this.
    03-28-17 12:28 PM
    uh we have an entire database of exactly that...

CrackBerry Questions & Answers

we have whole team mobile nations wide for this in fact that Rich is the Team Leader for
    I think it's the structure at issue; a wiki/knowledge base style rather than forum threads. It should be easier to search/categorize the former.
    mrfreeze likes this.
    03-28-17 12:34 PM
    Sorry, I knew that was there. Duh!

I guess I never looked at it as a knowledge base, but I guess it is.

But as Thur said the structure would be nicer more similar to a wiki.
    03-28-17 12:34 PM
    I dont think we need to close or archive threads. The times we get a bump on old threads really arent that often. Most are reported and we delete and maybe close the thread when it occurs.

The problem I see with closing down old threads is then it forces a new one to be made. Then everyone is just going to post the same answers on the other thread perhaps that didnt work and the OP might have already tried. So now we have 2 threads with almost the same posts and might not even solved the issues yet. At this time i just dont see the need to have an autoclose after 1 month no posting type of thing.

Another topic
    The search right now is a piece of ****. The new forum theme has made it completely useless. We have talked about it in the mod group but was waiting for other bugs to get worked out first. WE NEED THE ADVANCED SEARCH BACK. It still exists but its like 5 clicks to find
    03-28-17 12:42 PM
    I think it's the structure at issue; a wiki/knowledge base style rather than forum threads. It should be easier to search/categorize the former.
    that I agree with. Presentation is not great. You start typing your question in and it populate but yeah better structure would be good as well
    03-28-17 12:44 PM

This 100%.
    03-28-17 03:23 PM
    An idea for this is to sticky basic steps in th OP to finding that basic information. You will see on quite a few occasions that basic users don't have the slightest idea of where to go. I think providing examples of the steps would help out a lot.

Ex:

To find your IMEI:

Swipe down from top bezel/settings/about/hardware.
    03-28-17 03:29 PM
    Its a little offtop but please add the like button into the CB10 app.
    It doesnt work since 2months.
    I'd like to like some answers on the forum but thats only possible via browser.

via Passport OG
    anon(10101748) likes this.
    03-28-17 03:32 PM
    Have basic member info (device and carrier) listed in the side of their posts.
    Heavens1 likes this.
    03-28-17 03:48 PM
    That's easy to add since it's existing info on your profile.
    03-28-17 03:54 PM
    Yes, it used to be like that (as we all would remember), and also country. Gee that info helps when targeting a response.
    03-28-17 04:24 PM
    You have to remember people still have to fill out that info that shows up on the sides of under the avatar. Newbs dont always do this and the CB Question is anonymous anyway so that wouldnt work.
    03-28-17 04:47 PM
    I've always found the search capability of CB forums lacking. Most of the time I will google something to find the answer on the site. Maybe that has changed with the site upgrade, but the search feature of the forums has always been a bit of a mess.

The ability to search for new members will certainly make it easier from them to get answers not not to mention members looking for an old thread to answer those questions.
    03-28-17 05:03 PM
    You have to remember people still have to fill out that info that shows up on the sides of under the avatar. Newbs dont always do this and the CB Question is anonymous anyway so that wouldnt work.
    Make "device" a mandatory field. Especially for those asking anonymous questions. At least a drop down with a pick list to choose from, now that CB's going to be taking on the role of BlackBerry support for the multiple OS's.
    03-28-17 05:52 PM
    Make "device" a mandatory field. Especially for those asking anonymous questions. At least a drop down with a pick list to choose from, now that CB's going to be taking on the role of BlackBerry support for the multiple OS's.
    I was thinking along the same line what device and os should be mandatory before posting a question.
    03-28-17 06:56 PM
44 12