08-28-09 02:45 PM
88 1234
tools
    Well first off, if you read my entire statement, I was praising VZW reps so its a little misleading to pull one statement out and then insult me by calling me "cheap!"

Second, VZW absolutely nickles n dimes its customers and if you want to have a debate about that, I will have it any day of the week! Forcing people to pay for a GPS that is 100% free from the start is NICKLE n DIMING ur customers! Forcing your customers to pay for visual voice mail when others provide it for free is NICKLE n DIMING ur customers! The HUGE prices for texting (which is now being looked at by the US congress I might add) is NICKLE n DIMING ur customers! Go check out the rates they pay in europe and then how much it actually costs to provide this service and see if its a fairly priced service? Pricing a 20 second ring tone at a rate that is 3 times more than purchasing the entire song on i-tunes is NICKLE n Diming ur customers! making an instant messaging app that uses texting which forces you to have an unlimited texting plan is NICKLE n DIMING ur customers! Restricting many phones from either blue tooth file share when the phone does it just fine with other companies or not allowing an MP3 as a ring tone to force people to buy your 20 second 3 times overpriced verizon version is NICKLE n DIMING ur customers! IN FACT.... just charging people airtime for even accessing V-cast to purchase music and such online is NICKLE n DIMING ur customers! Thats like saying in order for you to enter my store and shop, you have to pay to walk the floor! Thats like charging to use 611!!! If you provide a service at a store, how dare you charge people just to access that very store! And no wifi on devices that support it so that VZW forces its customers to get a data plan is NICKLE n DIMING ur customers!!! THIS LIST IS LOOONNNGGGG!!!

Now in defense, some of these practices are done by other companies as well and I won't single out verizon on everything. But verizon definitely has THE most of it! (Locked GPS and wifi quickly comes to mind!)

So... I commend VZW reps in that they do indeed provide great CS and I don't in any way blame them for pricing blunders! But don't turn around and call customers CHEAP becasuse we are upset that we are being overcharged by a company that is using unfair market tactics to raise its revenue! ...... in that area, you have no leg to stand on my friend!
    Well, maybe when you try to praise someone you should stick to the praise instead of the back-handed compliment you gave.

It's like saying Lisa Leslie is a good basketball player....for a girl.
    11-27-08 10:37 PM
    Well, maybe when you try to praise someone you should stick to the praise instead of the back-handed compliment you gave.

It's like saying Lisa Leslie is a good basketball player....for a girl.

bad pricing tactics have nothing to do with good customer service
    11-27-08 10:47 PM
    I dont have any problems using MP3's for my ringtone. I'd guess that may be an issue relating to the particular hardware and not the service.
    11-27-08 11:26 PM
    well... I think there is a good point about visual voicemail... in comparison as a example

when I first purchased a iPhone it was the edge version

so the plan was 39.99 + 20 dollar data

included in that was visual voicemail and unlimited data package..

the 3g version is currently 39.99 + 30.00 for data which also has visual voicemail.

the 3g plan didn't include text messages the edge version included 200 txt messages.

now on my storm with verizon im 39.99 +30 for bb plan.

then I had to pay 2.99 for visual voicemail on top of that.

There is a ton of people who do not like at&t but keep in mind whether you like them or hate them they are definitely a big player in the cell industry. They are able to offer visual voicemail free with a data plan so why can't verizon?

I am not saying I am unhappy with verizon because I really do like there service but at&t wasn't terrible for me either.

I can understand charging for visual voicemail on a phone that does not have a data plan but once you pay for high end data plan something like visual voicemail should be included because the phone simply downloads the voicemail as a file to the phone which is "data" and you get voicemail in general with all packages.
    Last edited by noaim; 11-28-08 at 04:04 AM.
    11-28-08 03:59 AM
    with all being said and the going back and fourth i must concur and state that you pay what you ask for ......
    like for me i wanted to be able to use my bb for everything ...like in other words if it does this i want it to do that ....
    so many of my friends in deed say i pay way to much on my (cell bill) .....but i do have everything unlimited with the exception of having 900 min. so if you want to stick with a network or not everyone has a choice in this matter. so with regards to the whole c.s. yes they have given me nothing but great service (phone,store)
    so yes the precises are higher than normal ...... "I say you pay for what you want"
    I almost forgot customer service ROCKS!!!!!!!
    11-28-08 08:08 AM
    I dont have any problems using MP3's for my ringtone. I'd guess that may be an issue relating to the particular hardware and not the service.

this doesnt apply so much to smart phones like BBs. Its hard to resctict phones that act like computers but make no mistake, most if not all regular verizon phones, even the voyager which I once had (big regret compared to BB), you cannot use your music as a ring tone which in my eyes is boarderline criminal! And this is not a lack of capability! This is a straight out BLOCK on mp3s for ring tones!
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 11-28-08 at 08:51 AM.
    11-28-08 08:20 AM
    Yes, that's the gist of it.

I would have rather have been told "Your Storm will ship on 12/1" that the guessing game that has been played every time I call the CSR's. Seriously, I have been told, since Monday, that my order was "Pending Shippment", "Should be shipped today", "Will ship on or before 12/15", "Will ship on or before 12/8", "All orders placed on Friday 11/21 will ship before 11/26"... And while I am sure that on the face of it, all of this isn't wholly contridicting, it shows me that there is a true lack of information that has been given the CSRs, and they are either reading from a script, or making it up as they have gone along. no excuses, the storm shipping info is haphazard and will vary widly from rep to rep. This is due mostly to unprecidented (sp) demand. Not making excuses, just the way it is.

The second most bothersome thing is that there didn't seem to be a consistent order fulfillment process. It really did seem haphazard. I've learned through this process that internet ordering is handled completely different then rep/telesales ordering, and that rep/telesales ordering has a higher priority with regards to processing time. There is an order number, which does seem to rise sequentially, but that doesn't seem to matter as orders seemed to be processed out of sequence. So much for Verizon saying "First come, first serve". you have some bad info. The ordering process is exactly the same for all reps. What sometimes happens is that you order from a rep and it has to get approved by a Supervisor. Even tho you qualify, deserve, etc. The system isn't perfect.

While I have not been a customer for the past 100 years or so, it really disappoints me that new customers were given a much better priority than existing customers who were upgrading, or in my case, extending their 2 year plans in order to get the Storm. While I can understand the business model, extending my contract is mathematically worth the same to them as a new computer coming aboard, from the purchase price of the phone to the expected revenue generated from the 2 year plan. But my extension doesn't raise the subscriber numbers, so I'm left out on the cold. you are very, very wrong in your assumptions. Current customers are 100 times MORE valuable to VZW than any new one. ANY existing customer who upgrades automatically gets a better deal than a new one. **** its takes MONTHS to get a new customer, but only seconds to lose an existing one.

If the actual shipping of the phone was the problem, as one of the reasons for the shipping delays that I heard was that Fedex could only pick up a limited amount of phones per day, then Verizon should have explored other options to get phones to people.. UPS, USPS, DHL, etc. we ship with fed ex because of a business agreement, we do ship all other companies when it calls for it.
    Again, you have bad info, there is NO limit to the fedex pick up, no idea where you got that one

Finally, it boggles me that you have a release on a Friday, followed by a weekend in which it seemed limited ordering processing occured, especially no internet order procesing, and limited warehouse activity. Had this been a Monday release date, then Verizon could have given themselves a full week to deal with the "higher than anticipated" demand, and had a lot more satisified customers.. (namely.. me ). you actually think the day this phone released would matter??? We sold out in less than 3 hours. 3 HOURS!!! Over 1 million units! Any day of the week would have been SOL. Friday gave the company time to procure more units and attempt to meet demand. The launch had already been pushed twice, they HAD to launch. Not an option to wait.

To be fair, most of the CSR's I've spoken with have been very friendly and understanding. There have been one or two who are obviously tired of dealing with people calling about their orders, and that's understandable. Most of them have tried to help in any way that they can, but it's very obvious that there is not much they can do, other than look up an order online. thanks for understanding. Seriously, thanks.

Also, I have been nothing but nice and cordial with the CSR reps that have answered.
    Thank you. While every rep IS VZW, they can only control so much!

This launch was insane. No other way to put it. Compared to the other launch that compares (the Voyager last yr) this DESTROYED that one.

Thank you all for you patience!
    11-30-08 03:47 AM
    Fluid - thats a great analogy. I am a CS rep and would be tempted to use that one sometime.

As for the O.P. - not sure what your title is if you're not a Sup but you sit in the Zone all day.
    I'll be straight; I don't get paid as a Sup, I have the powers of one, and the FUNNIEST thing is that I get to do more for customers than ANY Sup.

I kid you not, this month (Nov) I was in the Supervisor que (ONLY calls escalated beyond regualr CS reps) for 20/22 working days. Normally Sups are in that que for 4 hrs a WEEK!!!

I LOVE being in that que. For the simple reason I really am the best at what I do.

check out my "who your rep is" thread
    11-30-08 04:10 AM
    well... I think there is a good point about visual voicemail... in comparison as a example

when I first purchased a iPhone it was the edge version

so the plan was 39.99 + 20 dollar data

included in that was visual voicemail and unlimited data package..

the 3g version is currently 39.99 + 30.00 for data which also has visual voicemail.

the 3g plan didn't include text messages the edge version included 200 txt messages.

now on my storm with verizon im 39.99 +30 for bb plan.

then I had to pay 2.99 for visual voicemail on top of that.

There is a ton of people who do not like at&t but keep in mind whether you like them or hate them they are definitely a big player in the cell industry. They are able to offer visual voicemail free with a data plan so why can't verizon? at&t is VZW's only real rival. The reason they are charging for visual VM is to cover the cost of the R&D, and or patent rights.

I am not saying I am unhappy with verizon because I really do like there service but at&t wasn't terrible for me either.

I can understand charging for visual voicemail on a phone that does not have a data plan but once you pay for high end data plan something like visual voicemail should be included because the phone simply downloads the voicemail as a file to the phone which is "data" and you get voicemail in general with all packages.
    honestly I think the data plan should cover ALL data, including sms/mms. But thats just me. At some point Vis VM will be free, just not now.
    11-30-08 04:28 AM
    Rican is largely correct. Verizon uses its position as the widest and most reliable network to force its customers (who really don't get service from other providers in many areas) to pay for things that they should not have to pay for.

That being said, Verizon customer service is wonderful and I have always been treated very well by them.

We are NOT complaining about CS...we are complaining about corporate policy/pricing.
    12-01-08 03:42 AM
    Howdy!

First, these are just my personal opinions, experiences, and not VZW policy.

Second, my thoughts/opinions are based on MY interactions:

Thirdly, THANK YOU for being a VZW customer, without you none of us would have a job!

****Most importantly****

I am not your average rep: this isn't me bragging or showing off: I am simply explaining what I do, and what my average day is.

Like most of the VZW reps who post on this forum (that I can tell) I don't take normal CS calls.

When someone asks for a supervisor, you get ME!

While I may not get paid like a Sup, I defiantely have both the power and authority of one..

Your average Sup takes these types of calls for ~ 4hrs a week.

I take them for 35+ hrs a week. I take NOTHING but these type of calls.

I tell you this for a simple reason: to give clarity to the remarks I make.

But I digress! Here are MY tips for when you deal with VZW:

1. Please do not call and try and tell me that our billing system is wrong.

You know what the billing system does? It COUNTS. That is all. Make a call, take a call, it counts.

If you call in and tell me: "there is NO way I called for 500 mins on my 450 min price plan."

I will send you packing.

OWN UP TO YOUR ERROR!

2. The best way to get what you want:

Ask politely.

Seriously. The people who call in and are polite and own up to whatever the issue is ALWAYS get the best treatment, solutions, and exceptions.

Know why? Because we WANT to help you,

WE WANT TO HELP!!!!!

3. We are HUMAN. If anyone at VZW makes a mistake we will whole heartadly fix the error. No questions asked, no BS, NOTHING.
    We screw up, it gets fixed. BOTTOM LINE.

4. If you call in and yell/demand/etc to us; guess what?

You will get what your contact states.

That isn't a threat. Just honesty.

I LOVE helping people. I LOVE solving problems. I LOVE making people promoters of Verizon Wireless.

Know what I hate?

People who think they are entitled to special treatment because: they spend $X, because they have been with the company for X years, because the can go elsewhere.

EVERY customer VZW that has is treated EXACTLY the same.

Verizon Wireless treats EVERYONE, no BS, EVERYONE:

Like ROYALTY.

Thank you for being a Verizon Wireless customer.

We truly value you.
    How do I talk with someone like you when I call?

My phone broke on Oct 23 and I got a phone, then returned it, then got the storm, then got a replacement storm, now I'm getting another storm because this one keeps crashing.

It is astonishing how frustrating this has been and I always try to remain calm. But I've had vzw people mislead me 3 times and it's cost me over $50 and 4 hours in travel time I wish there was something that could be done ... But so far I've just dealt with it and kept being pleasent. It is hard to deal with new or inexperienced vzw reps when I seem to have such a unique situation.

Any suggestions?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-01-09 06:33 PM
    Best way is to call in and explain the situation nicely, finishing with "Is there anything you can do to help me out?"

That's hard to say no to and I will always try to help more if I get someone who does that. A few tips, though:

Demands put the human on the other end on the defensive and almost always get an "I'm sorry but..." response.

Talking over your rep is a bad idea. Again, puts people on the defensive, or worse, offends them.

If you have been around a while, say so. The date on our screens is small and while I always look at it, other reps might need a reminder it's there.

If you bill a lot (especially with a Blackberry), mention it.

Don't try to argue. If the rep you are talking to isn't getting what they are saying, DO NOT say "No, you aren't getting it! THIS is what I mean..." If they really are not getting it, either request a supervisor or try to explain it another way.

If you feel like you are getting the runaround or being transferred too much, request a supervisor, because it's likely laziness on the part of the rep. Some CS is outsourced and I've found they like to cold-transfer (not tell the customer or the new rep they are transferring) for issues they don't get, don't want to deal with, or simply don't feel like doing.

That's about it for now, but it's mostly common sense.
    01-01-09 07:01 PM
    VZW absolutely nickles n dimes its customers and if you want to have a debate about that, I will have it any day of the week! Forcing people to pay for a GPS that is 100% free from the start is NICKLE n DIMING ur customers! Forcing your customers to pay for visual voice mail when others provide it for free is NICKLE n DIMING ur customers! The HUGE prices for texting (which is now being looked at by the US congress I might add) is NICKLE n DIMING ur customers! Go check out the rates they pay in europe and then how much it actually costs to provide this service and see if its a fairly priced service? Pricing a 20 second ring tone at a rate that is 3 times more than purchasing the entire song on i-tunes is NICKLE n Diming ur customers! making an instant messaging app that uses texting which forces you to have an unlimited texting plan is NICKLE n DIMING ur customers! Restricting many phones from either blue tooth file share when the phone does it just fine with other companies or not allowing an MP3 as a ring tone to force people to buy your 20 second 3 times overpriced verizon version is NICKLE n DIMING ur customers! IN FACT.... just charging people airtime for even accessing V-cast to purchase music and such online is NICKLE n DIMING ur customers! Thats like saying in order for you to enter my store and shop, you have to pay to walk the floor! Thats like charging to use 611!!! If you provide a service at a store, how dare you charge people just to access that very store! And no wifi on devices that support it so that VZW forces its customers to get a data plan is NICKLE n DIMING ur customers!!! THIS LIST IS LOOONNNGGGG!!!

Now in defense, some of these practices are done by other companies as well and I won't single out verizon on everything. But verizon definitely has THE most of it! (Locked GPS and wifi quickly comes to mind!)

So... I commend VZW reps in that they do indeed provide great CS and I don't in any way blame them for pricing blunders! But don't turn around and call customers CHEAP becasuse we are upset that we are being overcharged by a company that is using unfair market tactics to raise its revenue! ...... in that area, you have no leg to stand on my friend!
    1. GPS is no longer locked on the newer Blackberries (Storm, Curve, Perl) but I agree with you that it should never have been in the first place.
    2. They are not forcing you to buy their ringtones or wallpaper. That is your choice. If yo dont want to there are other sources and you can even make it yourself. I do agree that theya re WAY overpriced. Ringtones should be $0.99 just like the VCast music.
    3. Completely agree about Bluetooth thouth I do understand why it was done originally (to keep you frommoving the files you bought off of the phone to another one) but now with the era of MicroSD cards, USB cables, etc and software like BitPim they really need to rethink that.
    4. If you are using the aritime then you are using the network, and need to pay for it, meaning the data plan. If you are not going to use data then dont buy a smart phone or a phone with a full HTML web browser. No one forced you to buy a Blackberry or a Samsung Omnia. that is always your choice.
    5. It's actually like being in a members only club like for instance Sams Club. You cant go in there without being a member or being with a member and even if you do (say you get one of those free shopping passes inthe mail or the paper) you pay an extra percentage on what you buy because you are not a member.
    6. I completely agree about MobileIM. One of the reasons I dumped the dumb phones for Blackberry. I can use the free RIM provided apps that just use data, which I am paying for anyway
    7. CDMA Blackberries do nto support WIFI on ANY carrier. Sprint. Altel. Bell. Telus, etc. This is not a VZW thing it is a RIM thing. Not sure what others you are talking about but there are several VX serues WinMo deviced that do support WiFi.

look, cell phones have come a long way when it comes to price gouging, but make no mistake, it still happens and verizon is notorious for doing this with all these little tactics that just make a monthly bill seem.... higher! And on top of their rep for being a good network, it also has a justified rep for being the priciest!

A little comparison with sprint (CDMA)... $99 bucks gets you unlimited calling, unlimited data, unlimited texting. Verizon's plan gives you unlimited calling at $99, then you have $20 for unlimited texting, then you still have to pay for the data plan. Add $10 just to open up the locked GPS, and (read all the tactics from my first post) and you have a bill thats easily over $160+ just for 1 phone! Also, lets not forget that verizon was the last to drop the outragious second line pricing of $19.99!

Now... I, as most of us, are definitely willing to pay for more a better network and better CS but it has to be realized how much more we are actually paying and if the tactics are actually fair when adding to an already pricier network.

Sometimes I just wish they just raised all their prices overall and quit the petty tactics they use overall to try to raise secret cash from customers with locked services and backdoor deals with phone makers

Anyhow, this was not the original intent of this tread as it was really about the great reps! And I will still stand behind that fact
    Sprint is not even close to the caliber of carrier (customer service, network) that VZWS is and has not been in a LOONNNG time. They are cheap because they have to be because if they didnt they would have lost 3million customers the first thre quarters of last year instead of the 1.8 they did.

VZW's plans are almost identical to AT&T's (the other major carrier in the US and the only one that it is fair to compare them to.

I do agree that SMS texting should be included as it is basically using network packets that are already there anyway. You should only have to pay for MMS.

as for your second highlighted point, I already made my case in my original post. You don't charge people to access the very place your trying to get people to buy from. Ur already allowed to check ur minutes and go on several websites using data without being charged airtime with most mobile phones (not BB phones). So allowing people to shop airtime free is not a tough proposition and is just an overall good business practice. I always had issues with this and therefore would never use the v-cast store in protest. Not to mention the $3 price tag for a 20 secnd ringtone that is 99 cents on i-tones... FOR THE ENTIRE SONG!!!

Then to *** to the frustration, not being able to use MP3 songs as ringtones just so u are forced to buy their crap, EWWWW, pisses me off!

I also protest VZ nav by never choosing to buy it because of this locked GPS issue. And if we all complained and did the same, they would change their tactics... oh wait, I thought I heard that they were going to unlock GPS soon!!! I wonder how that happened??? lol
    What phone are you using that you cant use a (short) MP3 on as a ringtone? You can always convert the files to the correct format. That takes more doing but it can be done. Free software like Andiocity can be used to shorten your MP3s to be used as ringtones.

I don't use the VCast store either. I used to but not anymore, once I realized it was next to impossible (and in some cases impossible) to move the files I bought from one phone to another. It's been at least a year now ad not once has VZW called me up or emailed me asking why I don't buy their overpriced junk. They offer it but we don't have to buy it, but if we do choose to buy it then then we have to pay their (admittedly outrageous) prices. I only download free stuff now.
    01-02-09 02:04 AM
    There are free sites out there to make ringtones for your Verizon phones. I use Myxer.com and can make my own ringtones from music d/l on my computer and send to my phone. With a BB it will send it straight to the phone with other phones you have to d/l it and then email it to your phone. Myxer tells you how to do it.
    01-02-09 11:17 PM
    1. GPS is no longer locked on the newer Blackberries (Storm, Curve, Perl) but I agree with you that it should never have been in the first place.
    2. They are not forcing you to buy their ringtones or wallpaper. That is your choice. If yo dont want to there are other sources and you can even make it yourself. I do agree that theya re WAY overpriced. Ringtones should be $0.99 just like the VCast music.
    3. Completely agree about Bluetooth thouth I do understand why it was done originally (to keep you frommoving the files you bought off of the phone to another one) but now with the era of MicroSD cards, USB cables, etc and software like BitPim they really need to rethink that.
    4. If you are using the aritime then you are using the network, and need to pay for it, meaning the data plan. If you are not going to use data then dont buy a smart phone or a phone with a full HTML web browser. No one forced you to buy a Blackberry or a Samsung Omnia. that is always your choice.
    5. It's actually like being in a members only club like for instance Sams Club. You cant go in there without being a member or being with a member and even if you do (say you get one of those free shopping passes inthe mail or the paper) you pay an extra percentage on what you buy because you are not a member.
    6. I completely agree about MobileIM. One of the reasons I dumped the dumb phones for Blackberry. I can use the free RIM provided apps that just use data, which I am paying for anyway
    7. CDMA Blackberries do nto support WIFI on ANY carrier. Sprint. Altel. Bell. Telus, etc. This is not a VZW thing it is a RIM thing. Not sure what others you are talking about but there are several VX serues WinMo deviced that do support WiFi.

Sprint is not even close to the caliber of carrier (customer service, network) that VZWS is and has not been in a LOONNNG time. They are cheap because they have to be because if they didnt they would have lost 3million customers the first thre quarters of last year instead of the 1.8 they did.

VZW's plans are almost identical to AT&T's (the other major carrier in the US and the only one that it is fair to compare them to.

I do agree that SMS texting should be included as it is basically using network packets that are already there anyway. You should only have to pay for MMS.

What phone are you using that you cant use a (short) MP3 on as a ringtone? You can always convert the files to the correct format. That takes more doing but it can be done. Free software like Andiocity can be used to shorten your MP3s to be used as ringtones.

I don't use the VCast store either. I used to but not anymore, once I realized it was next to impossible (and in some cases impossible) to move the files I bought from one phone to another. It's been at least a year now ad not once has VZW called me up or emailed me asking why I don't buy their overpriced junk. They offer it but we don't have to buy it, but if we do choose to buy it then then we have to pay their (admittedly outrageous) prices. I only download free stuff now.
    Even though GPS is unlocked for BB maps, it is still a locked GPS for 3rd party apps. Don't let their recent news fool you. Even though its a step in the right direction, don't rest with that as it should be 100% unlocked to use with 3rd party apps! Thats just what the darn thing was meant for!

And yea, I do agree that you don't have to buy their ring tones. And in that case, I think thats really the only solution is that mess. On the other hand, the restrictions btwn bluetooth file sharing or passing files from one device to another and the restrictions with using MP3s as ringtones is an issue I have a problem with. And again, as blackberry users, we don't have that restriction, but non smart phones do and I think this is the area where VZW uses criminal tactics to make a buck. Sounds harsh, but if you think about it, it makes perfect sense.

As for data, no one is asking for free data. It is WITHIN the cell phones capability to not receive data! That is a fact! So even though "I" would still opt to have it on my phone, the idea that it is "REQUIRED" is nonsense! And its a tactic that allows them to not only place u on a contract for 2 years with a calling plan, but also allows them to extend that contract with the data portion as well. That does not fair welll with me. It also allows them to eliminate the initiative for implimenting wifi on devices. Since data is required and EVDO handles all data connections, I believe cell companies save money by not including a wifi chip. Also, if the wifi was implimented, VZW would have a weaker argument as to why data should be REQUIRED!

I'm not exactly sure if this is a RIM thing or a verizon thing and I don't think anybody really knows this for sure. But if you trace the intended concequences, it looks like the cell phone company clearly benefits from the move, not RIM (whos motivation clearly is to make, hype, and sell the best cell phones they can with the most features that make them attractive). And again, verizon is not the only bad boy on the block and I've stated this in past posts. Its not black n white with them being the devil and others being the night in shining armor! I only pointed out that they have the rep of being the worst when gadging their total package of price gouging tactics. And while there may be some wifi devices out there in their world, the fact of the matter is that blackberries that are being designed to use wifi across the spectrm of the model line are being modified specifically for verizon and other sister companies without, with no benefit to the consumer at all!
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 01-02-09 at 11:39 PM.
    01-02-09 11:27 PM
    Only apps that require assisted GPS are blocked. Apps that just access the GPS chip work. As an aside I was reading today and apparently ATT also blocked BB Maps and made you get telenav for a time (thout their block was easily overcome if you knew how to edit alx files.) That's not an excuse or anything just something I found interesting.

You can change your contract at any time. You can switch to a different phone that does not use data and drop the data plan if you want. It does not extend your contract unless you buy the phone at a discount. Pay full retail or get it on eBay and your contract is not extended.

I agree that you should be able to go data plan less IF you agree to a total data block on the phone. (It can be done) I do think that if you dont agree to that then you should have to get a data plan of some kind as pay as you go data is uber expense. I've talked to way too many people who got nailed with huge data bills because they were being cheap.

I read somewhere a few years ago that for some reason WiFi caused problems with the CDMA 3G chipset that RIM uses and that's why CDMA BB's dont have it but I haven't been able to locate it since. VZW does have some phones with WiFi -- Omnia is one I believe, along with the VX series smart phones i mentioned. I believe it would be nice if VZW would get the Nokia N series ones that are out there but as far as I know the have never been made CDMA.
    01-03-09 02:49 AM
    Verizon does treat people like royalty (with the exception of one CS agent at a kiosk in the local mall, but I got that taken care of). Verizon may not be the cheapest or the nost reliable (at least in my area) but they are willing to work with you 100% to make sure at the end of the day you are happy with your phone and service, THAT'S why I'm still a Verizon customer

01-03-09 09:35 AM
    Only apps that require assisted GPS are blocked. Apps that just access the GPS chip work. As an aside I was reading today and apparently ATT also blocked BB Maps and made you get telenav for a time (thout their block was easily overcome if you knew how to edit alx files.) That's not an excuse or anything just something I found interesting.

You can change your contract at any time. You can switch to a different phone that does not use data and drop the data plan if you want. It does not extend your contract unless you buy the phone at a discount. Pay full retail or get it on eBay and your contract is not extended.

I agree that you should be able to go data plan less IF you agree to a total data block on the phone. (It can be done) I do think that if you dont agree to that then you should have to get a data plan of some kind as pay as you go data is uber expense. I've talked to way too many people who got nailed with huge data bills because they were being cheap.

I read somewhere a few years ago that for some reason WiFi caused problems with the CDMA 3G chipset that RIM uses and that's why CDMA BB's dont have it but I haven't been able to locate it since. VZW does have some phones with WiFi -- Omnia is one I believe, along with the VX series smart phones i mentioned. I believe it would be nice if VZW would get the Nokia N series ones that are out there but as far as I know the have never been made CDMA.
    Google maps is not assisted GPS and it does not work so your wrong, sorry. GPS is locked to everything but BB maps and VZ Nav unless something has happened in the last view days that I don't know about.

change ur contract, buy a different phone??? You think customers should be going through these hoops just because of an unethical implimentation??? And btw, why are we assuming that ppl have other phones with the same company hidding in their drawer? Or do you think its fair for a first contract customer to be forced to pay full porice for a phone just because they want to remove their data plan??? And the whole idea of removing data is to save money right? So now you force this customer to have to pay full price on a regular phone just because of that tactic... BULLSH*T if u ask me! Plus, what if you like your bb curve or whatever smart phone u have and u want to use itas a texting phone but don't want data??? Its an honest desire! And since the data "CAN" be shut down, there should be no reason the customer cannot get this

And of course data blckage can be done! If they want to impliment a total block on data to avoid potential problems, then I'm 100% for that. I think customers should be able to police themselves so long as they are informed prior (maybe even signing a waiver), but I would rather the option of a total blockage than a forced implimentation any day
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 01-03-09 at 03:03 PM.
    01-03-09 02:59 PM
    Verizon does treat people like royalty (with the exception of one CS agent at a kiosk in the local mall, but I got that taken care of). Verizon may not be the cheapest or the nost reliable (at least in my area) but they are willing to work with you 100% to make sure at the end of the day you are happy with your phone and service, THAT'S why I'm still a Verizon customer

as much as I ***** about their policies n tactics, I definitely can't argue with that! on a scale from 1 to 10, agents I speak to rank btwn an 8 to 10 in my book and to tell u the truth, I stay for that reason.

But make no mistake, things do have their limit. And bad pricing can actually one day trump even the best customer service. But for now, I'll wait and see how they overcome all these mishaps from now till the nd of my contract in Dec of 09.
    01-03-09 03:06 PM
    well, the fiance is a supervisor at the call center here, and has told me many of times people that have big accounts, people that have been with verizon get treated better, bigger refund etc.
    Sorry if i missed anything, didn't read through it all

VZW is a company doing what they can do to keep money. They're going to offer Company A with 65 Lines a lot more then Person B with 2 lines.
    01-03-09 03:06 PM
    This is my 1st post here. I have had my BB for about a month. I mostly just read this forum for tips. VZW has always treated me GREAT. I've now been w them for 10 years on a family plan. In May I got a Treo and after the 3rd time it broke, they gave me my BB Curve for free!! No ******** on my part to get it either. Many other companies could learn a lot from VZW customer service. The 1st should be Verizon landline. Has to be tied for the worst w/ Comcast.

As it's been stated I don't agree w everything they charge for and locking down bluetooth but the customer service is awesome!! Keep up the good work VZW CS Reps!!!

01-03-09 08:48 PM
    I agree that verizon is top notch, I have had very good luck with them, they have always tried their best to work though any issues I had and always fix their errors. The service is great where I live/travel and its always improving, proof to me that they are using the money we pay them wisely. The vzw cs reps that I have spoken with are always polite and willing to listen to the problem and fix it, be it my error or theirs.

01-04-09 10:23 AM
    We've been with Verizon since 2002 and I have no complaints about the wireless performance or VZW's customer service. We've always been treated professionally, and orders are placed perfectly and efficiently. Keep up the good work.

But the OP is is right about the landline service; technically, my FIOS service is perfect, but whenever I call to add a feature or something, the order gets screwed up by the person inputting it and I have to spend a day or two getting the problem corrected. It's gotten to the point I just try not to call. They could learn a lot from the VZW staff.
    01-04-09 11:21 AM
    Keep in mind. Verizon Landline is not same company. While the name is shared, it is another business
    01-04-09 11:23 AM
    Right. They actually have three businesses: the wireless division, the residential service and the business data service. However, the residential service could still benefit from learning from the VZW reps.
    01-04-09 11:29 AM
88 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD