08-28-09 03:45 PM
88 123 ...
tools
    Howdy!

First, these are just my personal opinions, experiences, and not VZW policy.

Second, my thoughts/opinions are based on MY interactions:

Thirdly, THANK YOU for being a VZW customer, without you none of us would have a job!

****Most importantly****

I am not your average rep: this isn't me bragging or showing off: I am simply explaining what I do, and what my average day is.

Like most of the VZW reps who post on this forum (that I can tell) I don't take normal CS calls.

When someone asks for a supervisor, you get ME!

While I may not get paid like a Sup, I defiantely have both the power and authority of one..

Your average Sup takes these types of calls for ~ 4hrs a week.

I take them for 35+ hrs a week. I take NOTHING but these type of calls.

I tell you this for a simple reason: to give clarity to the remarks I make.

But I digress! Here are MY tips for when you deal with VZW:

1. Please do not call and try and tell me that our billing system is wrong.

You know what the billing system does? It COUNTS. That is all. Make a call, take a call, it counts.

If you call in and tell me: "there is NO way I called for 500 mins on my 450 min price plan."

I will send you packing.

OWN UP TO YOUR ERROR!

2. The best way to get what you want:

Ask politely.

Seriously. The people who call in and are polite and own up to whatever the issue is ALWAYS get the best treatment, solutions, and exceptions.

Know why? Because we WANT to help you,

WE WANT TO HELP!!!!!

3. We are HUMAN. If anyone at VZW makes a mistake we will whole heartadly fix the error. No questions asked, no BS, NOTHING.
    We screw up, it gets fixed. BOTTOM LINE.

4. If you call in and yell/demand/etc to us; guess what?

You will get what your contact states.

That isn't a threat. Just honesty.

I LOVE helping people. I LOVE solving problems. I LOVE making people promoters of Verizon Wireless.

Know what I hate?

People who think they are entitled to special treatment because: they spend $X, because they have been with the company for X years, because the can go elsewhere.

EVERY customer VZW that has is treated EXACTLY the same.

Verizon Wireless treats EVERYONE, no BS, EVERYONE:

Like ROYALTY.

Thank you for being a Verizon Wireless customer.

We truly value you.
    11-23-08 08:08 AM
    Thank you thank you Thank you!!!

I work for one of your major competitors but on the landline side. I do the same thing but choose not to play "supervisor" as I have 30yrs experience doing my specific job and know it better than the supervisors who have less experience.

I agree with you whole heartedly as to the customers who's conduct "think they are entitled to special treatment because: they spend $X, because they have been with the company for X years, because the can go elsewhere"(quoting you).....

I wouldnt have been doing what I do for 30 yrs if I didnt enjoy helping people & problem solving. But customers aren't likely to get my "special" treatment if they shoot those words right out of their mouth, particularly if there is no error on our part.

Yes, you & I know our customers have choices. We want to help no matter which company you have for your wireless & landline needs. But we, or at least myself, expect the same courtesy that I give you the customer.
    11-23-08 10:40 AM
    Gloria - totally!

You know what the best part of my day usually is???

When a customer calls in and they are totally distrought over an issue and I get to fix their problem.

No BS.

I love that part of my job.

At this point in my career with VZW 9/10 people are trying to work the system, or squeeze a credit, etc.

But that other 1/10 is WHY I LOVE my job. That 1/10 person NEEDS my help. Their world (as most) revolves around their lifeline, their cell phone, and they either made a mistake, VZW made a mistake, or they need a little help.

Me getting to help that person is the reason I can go back day after day.

THANK YOU ALL.

I truly love helping VZW customers!
    11-23-08 11:37 AM
    Quick question. I bought the Curve back in May when it was released for Verizon. My dad is due for an upgrade. Is it possible to buy the Storm through my dads number and have it transferred to my number and then he would just continue using his old non blackberry phone? I thought I heard this was possible by changing the ESN numbers or something? Also I know when you buy a BB from VZW you have to sign up for a data plan. Would that be necessary since my dad would be using a normal phone? And is it possible to cancel a data plan?

Haha sorry I know thats a lot of questions but itll really help.

Thanks.

Jeff
    11-23-08 06:42 PM
    Good post. I have always gotten exceptional service from VZW even years back when I went over my minutes and they still helped change my voice plan and rolled it back so i wouldnt have to pay overages. I have always had a pleasant experience with CS whether it be thru *611 or in store. Tech support was always a help with previous phones.

I for one, appreciate you!
    11-23-08 06:47 PM
    this is very very true! Although I have gripes with vzw as far as nickle n diming its customers, overall, it has nothing to do with the individial CS support as they cannot just change pricing, as ridiculous as they might be at times.

But overall, vzw CS has always given me credits where common sense applies and helped me out when I needed it. And when they couldn't go back and change something, if they saw something not look right, regardless, they went back and gave me a different type of credit just because the computer didn't allow them to do it the regular way. I do agree that honesty and being polite is key to everything with these folks! Although I can't say the same about other companies.

Just recently I scheduled a price plan change from 900 min to 450 with BB data (on bill cycle date). Inbtwn the change, I had a replacement device sent to me and I guess what had happened was that activating the new device bumped out the pricing change scheduled. So in the middle of the next month, I called just to verify what I had changed (supposedly 2 weeks into the new cycle) and it turned out that I was still in the 900 min plan. The rep could not downgrade my plan as she was not allowed to (or not able). So what they did was allow me to use the entire 900 minutes for that month and then after my bill comes out, they said they would credit it as if it were a 450 min plan. And she said don't worry about the extra minutes. This was just because it wasn't my fault that the system bumped me. And because I was already using my minutes as if it was only a 450 limit, it would not of been fair to keep me at 900 for another month, pay for it, and have so many unused minutes left over.

So.... thats just a small story but in the 8+ years I been with vzw, its always been the same treatment and I'm very happy with them because of it. If it was not for their CS, I would of changed a long time ago because even though their network is the best of the bunch, their prices and tactics for misc things is not.

Great job however VZW reps! Keep upthe good work
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 11-23-08 at 09:31 PM.
    11-23-08 09:28 PM
    this is very very true! Although I have gripes with vzw as far as nickle n diming its customers
    Ok, I have a problem with that statement since I hear it all the time.

Explain to me exactly how VZW nickles and dimes its customers? We provide a service, so the customer pays for the service. Makes sense to me, yet it called nickle and diming.

I am assuming that when people say they are being nickle and dimed that they really mean that they want a service, but don't want to pay for it.

So I'm thinking that instead of saying VZW nickles and dimes its customer, they need to be saying "I'm cheap and don't want to pay for the service that I'm using".
    11-24-08 08:15 AM

Explain to me exactly how VZW nickles and dimes its customers? We provide a service, so the customer pays for the service. Makes sense to me, yet it called nickle and diming.

I am assuming that when people say they are being nickle and dimed that they really mean that they want a service, but don't want to pay for it.

So I'm thinking that instead of saying VZW nickles and dimes its customer, they need to be saying "I'm cheap and don't want to pay for the service that I'm using".
    That is well said. People today don't want to pay for anything, for phones, for extra services, for pretty much anything. I don't work in the wireless industry, in fact, I work in a hospital. I don't hear stuff like that. Everyone knows that health care is not free. I can only imagine hearing this: I have been coming to this hospital for 5 years, I should get a free X ray. That would crack me up.
    11-24-08 10:02 AM

I LOVE helping people. I LOVE solving problems. I LOVE making people promoters of Verizon Wireless.

EVERY customer VZW that has is treated EXACTLY the same.

Verizon Wireless treats EVERYONE, no BS, EVERYONE:

Like ROYALTY.

Thank you for being a Verizon Wireless customer.

We truly value you.
    I wish to relay this information where it might be read. Hopefully something can be done to make me feel like a king again, because right now I feel like the p***-boy. (A thinly veiled Mel Brooks reference..)

BlackBerry Shipping

Setting Expectations for Storm Shipping

Please be sure to set proper expectations when advising your customers on the shipping of the Blackberry Storm:

Orders that were placed on 11/21 by 2pm local time will ship no later than 11/25

Orders that were placed on 11/21 after 2pm local time through end of day will ship no later than 12/5

Orders placed on 11/22 will ship no later than 12/15
    I'm just venting some frustration, so please bear with me.

The quoted above is a complete lie with regards to how Verizon will be shipping the units.

The time reference has to do with when the order was actually processed, not placed. I placed my order thru verizonwireless.com at 9:54 am EST. Got the order confirmation about 5 minutes later, with an order number (513698416)

No updates occured over the weekend to the order, nor was a tracking number released to me. So I called the internet sales division (Northeast Operations #), waited for about 20 minutes due to "high volume". When I finally got through, I told the rep that I was calling about a Blackberry Storm and was immediately told "Dec 5th ship date". I said.. well, I ordered the phone on Friday at 10am and was told by numerous sources that this means it would ship this week, could she please check the order number. She entered and said "your order hasn't been processed yet, and that means it won't ship until Dec 5th". When I asked to speak to a supervisor, she said "he's going to tell you the same thing".

So, long story short. I understand this is just a phone. But there have been great inconsistencies in the way these orders have been processed and that's what's most annoying. It's not my fault that the east coast sales systems have crashed.. They should have respected the order time that it was placed, not when it was processed, something of which I had no control over. I did my part in ordered in the most timely fashion I could, why am I being penalized ?

I am still seeking the # or name of someone a little more senior to speak with at Verizon about this. If anyone has had any experiences or success with it, it would be greatly appreciated. Please feel free to reply, or drop me a PM.
    11-24-08 10:22 AM
    As an update to my last post, I just received the following email:

Thank You for contacting Verizon Wireless through our web site, at this time your order has been processed. Please be advised, due to high demand of Blackberry Storm 9530 smartphone equipment, the current estimated ship date of your new device is on or before December 15, 2008. Once again we apologize for the delay and the inconvenience.
    As I said, I don't feel very royal right now.
    11-24-08 08:37 PM
    Sheesh cannot water from a stone. If they do not have them they do not have them - They sold about 1 million units from what I heard on the first day.
    11-24-08 08:40 PM
    Despite selling a high volume, my experience is that when an order is placed, a retail computer system should reject the order if that item is out of stock. It is not good service if they ran out and they continued taking orders just to lock people in, and misleading them to boot about shipping dates. All people want is the truth.
    11-24-08 09:03 PM

Well first off, if you read my entire statement, I was praising VZW reps so its a little misleading to pull one statement out and then insult me by calling me "cheap!"

Second, VZW absolutely nickles n dimes its customers and if you want to have a debate about that, I will have it any day of the week! Forcing people to pay for a GPS that is 100% free from the start is NICKLE n DIMING ur customers! Forcing your customers to pay for visual voice mail when others provide it for free is NICKLE n DIMING ur customers! The HUGE prices for texting (which is now being looked at by the US congress I might add) is NICKLE n DIMING ur customers! Go check out the rates they pay in europe and then how much it actually costs to provide this service and see if its a fairly priced service? Pricing a 20 second ring tone at a rate that is 3 times more than purchasing the entire song on i-tunes is NICKLE n Diming ur customers! making an instant messaging app that uses texting which forces you to have an unlimited texting plan is NICKLE n DIMING ur customers! Restricting many phones from either blue tooth file share when the phone does it just fine with other companies or not allowing an MP3 as a ring tone to force people to buy your 20 second 3 times overpriced verizon version is NICKLE n DIMING ur customers! IN FACT.... just charging people airtime for even accessing V-cast to purchase music and such online is NICKLE n DIMING ur customers! Thats like saying in order for you to enter my store and shop, you have to pay to walk the floor! Thats like charging to use 611!!! If you provide a service at a store, how dare you charge people just to access that very store! And no wifi on devices that support it so that VZW forces its customers to get a data plan is NICKLE n DIMING ur customers!!! THIS LIST IS LOOONNNGGGG!!!

Now in defense, some of these practices are done by other companies as well and I won't single out verizon on everything. But verizon definitely has THE most of it! (Locked GPS and wifi quickly comes to mind!)

So... I commend VZW reps in that they do indeed provide great CS and I don't in any way blame them for pricing blunders! But don't turn around and call customers CHEAP becasuse we are upset that we are being overcharged by a company that is using unfair market tactics to raise its revenue! ...... in that area, you have no leg to stand on my friend!
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 11-25-08 at 11:28 PM.
    11-25-08 08:48 AM
    But as I said before, thats my beef with verizon pricing practices, not customer support! I do not in any way take it out on you guys. Its definitely 99.9% positive for me which is probably the main reason I've stuck for so long. But I think you can have good customer service without the price gouging tactics ...
    11-25-08 06:26 PM
    Despite selling a high volume, my experience is that when an order is placed, a retail computer system should reject the order if that item is out of stock. It is not good service if they ran out and they continued taking orders just to lock people in, and misleading them to boot about shipping dates. All people want is the truth.
    QFT.

I can handle the truth, but there were so many misinformed CSR's and lack of information.

My order was placed in good faith. I can not control VZW's systems crashing due to overwhelming demand. I do not have any control over when my order was processed, because of the crash and apparent lack of resources (either human or mechanical) to "process" the orders. Now, my credit card has been charged for 2 days now, my order status is "pending shipment" and I have no idea at all when my order will be shipped. In the meanwhile, people have posted on these forums that they have ordered after me, and have already gotten their devices.

A consistent process wasn't followed with regards to the processing and fulfillment of these orders, and that's a real black mark on a company. In time, this will all pass, but Verizon has proven that they can not handle a launch of this magnitude and unless they change their policies, a fair amount of people will not trust them with the next "big thing".
    11-26-08 03:02 PM
    It sounds to me what Jay is upset about is just that he was told that he would be receiving his Storm on a certain date and so that is what he was expecting. It's almost better to say it will take longer to get it and deliver earlier then promise it and have to keep pushing the date back. Am I interpreting this correct Jay?

VZW CS has always been awesome and are a big reason I am with them. They always take care of problems when they are able to and are some of the best CS reps I have dealt with.
    11-26-08 05:38 PM
    I'm happy with my VZW Customer Service.. I guess it all depends on how you ask... Just ask nicely lol
    11-26-08 07:43 PM
    I have a question, how come they just moved up the ship date again to 12/11? I Ordered mine on the 22nd and they told me to expect it on 12/15....i tried to order it on the internet friday 3 am and the website kept kicking me back to the sign in page,thus i didnt get one ordered until 13:54 pm on saturday. Nonetheless my complaint list is a year long and frankly i dont have the energy any more to argue about it plus in the last couple of days verizon has been treating me pretty good. My account balance is 0 now and my wifes heavily-discounted venus is on its way,so she will be happy! Meanwhile i too am anxious to get my storm but im not God and its out of my control. I'll be a pro user by time i get it(from reading the manuals @bb and the forums)and by then it should have all the glitches out and new OS in. Still can't wait!
    11-27-08 04:59 AM
    It sounds to me what Jay is upset about is just that he was told that he would be receiving his Storm on a certain date and so that is what he was expecting. It's almost better to say it will take longer to get it and deliver earlier then promise it and have to keep pushing the date back. Am I interpreting this correct Jay?
    Yes, that's the gist of it.

I would have rather have been told "Your Storm will ship on 12/1" that the guessing game that has been played every time I call the CSR's. Seriously, I have been told, since Monday, that my order was "Pending Shippment", "Should be shipped today", "Will ship on or before 12/15", "Will ship on or before 12/8", "All orders placed on Friday 11/21 will ship before 11/26"... And while I am sure that on the face of it, all of this isn't wholly contridicting, it shows me that there is a true lack of information that has been given the CSRs, and they are either reading from a script, or making it up as they have gone along.

The second most bothersome thing is that there didn't seem to be a consistent order fulfillment process. It really did seem haphazard. I've learned through this process that internet ordering is handled completely different then rep/telesales ordering, and that rep/telesales ordering has a higher priority with regards to processing time. There is an order number, which does seem to rise sequentially, but that doesn't seem to matter as orders seemed to be processed out of sequence. So much for Verizon saying "First come, first serve".

While I have not been a customer for the past 100 years or so, it really disappoints me that new customers were given a much better priority than existing customers who were upgrading, or in my case, extending their 2 year plans in order to get the Storm. While I can understand the business model, extending my contract is mathematically worth the same to them as a new computer coming aboard, from the purchase price of the phone to the expected revenue generated from the 2 year plan. But my extension doesn't raise the subscriber numbers, so I'm left out on the cold.

If the actual shipping of the phone was the problem, as one of the reasons for the shipping delays that I heard was that Fedex could only pick up a limited amount of phones per day, then Verizon should have explored other options to get phones to people.. UPS, USPS, DHL, etc.

Finally, it boggles me that you have a release on a Friday, followed by a weekend in which it seemed limited ordering processing occured, especially no internet order procesing, and limited warehouse activity. Had this been a Monday release date, then Verizon could have given themselves a full week to deal with the "higher than anticipated" demand, and had a lot more satisified customers.. (namely.. me ).

To be fair, most of the CSR's I've spoken with have been very friendly and understanding. There have been one or two who are obviously tired of dealing with people calling about their orders, and that's understandable. Most of them have tried to help in any way that they can, but it's very obvious that there is not much they can do, other than look up an order online.

Also, I have been nothing but nice and cordial with the CSR reps that have answered.
    11-27-08 10:34 AM
    Second, VZW absolutely nickles n dimes its customers and if you want to have a debate about that, I will have it any day of the week! Forcing people to pay for a GPS that is 100% free from the start is NICKLE n DIMING ur customers! Forcing your customers to pay for visual voice mail when others provide it for free is NICKLE n DIMING ur customers! The HUGE prices for texting (which is now being looked at by the US congress I might add) is NICKLE n DIMING ur customers! Go check out the rates they pay in europe and then how much it actually costs to provide this service and see if its a fairly priced service? Pricing a 20 second ring tone at a rate that is 3 times more than purchasing the entire song on i-tunes is NICKLE n Diming ur customers! making an instant messaging app that uses texting which forces you to have an unlimited texting plan is NICKLE n DIMING ur customers! Restricting many phones from either blue tooth file share when the phone does it just fine with other companies or not allowing an MP3 as a ring tone to force people to buy your 20 second 3 times overpriced verizon version is NICKLE n DIMING ur customers! IN FACT.... just charging people airtime for even accessing V-cast to purchase music and such online is NICKLE n DIMING ur customers! Thats like saying in order for you to enter my store and shop, you have to pay to walk the floor! Thats like charging to use 611!!! If you provide a service at a store, how dare you charge people just to access that very store! And no wifi on devices that support it so that VZW forces its customers to get a data plan is NICKLE n DIMING ur customers!!! THIS LIST IS LOOONNNGGGG!!!

Now in defense, some of these practices are done by other companies as well and I won't single out verizon on everything. But verizon definitely has THE most of it! (Locked GPS and wifi quickly comes to mind!)
    You make some valid points, but highlighted are some...less than.

1. On a Voyager, there is no required data plan. Jesus phone requires one and it's included. Voyager, if you want your 4.99 per month but don't want data have at it. On a Storm, you have a point but the VVM was originally designed for a phone that didn't require data...so it's just, free? Like totally free? Like not included in anything, just...here's this technology we've been working on FREE.

2. Exactly the same prices as AT&T and other competitors. Aside from the fact that the 5 dollar plan will get you 50 more texts on VZW.

3. Your logic is flawed...walking into a store doesn't require the CONSTANT updates that operation of a cell phone network does. And as far as airtime...if I were trying to make an emergency phone call and I wasn't able to because a 13 year old and 9 of his buddies were trying to sync up their ringtones and using my areas available voice bandwidth and not paying for it, I would be upset. You're USING the serivce to connect to the network, it's more akin to accessing a members only bar or country club, if you don't pay, you ain't gettin in because other people are paying to use it as well.

Like I said you make some valid points, but these I'll disagree with ALL day and it really is wanting something for nothing. And keep in mind, just like everything else you get what you pay for...I've heard the nickel and diming thing from my friends on Sprint...then I ask them to send me a picture from their Berry.
    11-27-08 11:50 AM
    look, cell phones have come a long way when it comes to price gouging, but make no mistake, it still happens and verizon is notorious for doing this with all these little tactics that just make a monthly bill seem.... higher! And on top of their rep for being a good network, it also has a justified rep for being the priciest!

A little comparison with sprint (CDMA)... $99 bucks gets you unlimited calling, unlimited data, unlimited texting. Verizon's plan gives you unlimited calling at $99, then you have $20 for unlimited texting, then you still have to pay for the data plan. Add $10 just to open up the locked GPS, and (read all the tactics from my first post) and you have a bill thats easily over $160+ just for 1 phone! Also, lets not forget that verizon was the last to drop the outragious second line pricing of $19.99!

Now... I, as most of us, are definitely willing to pay for more a better network and better CS but it has to be realized how much more we are actually paying and if the tactics are actually fair when adding to an already pricier network.

Sometimes I just wish they just raised all their prices overall and quit the petty tactics they use overall to try to raise secret cash from customers with locked services and backdoor deals with phone makers

Anyhow, this was not the original intent of this tread as it was really about the great reps! And I will still stand behind that fact
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 11-27-08 at 02:43 PM.
    11-27-08 02:38 PM
    That is well said. People today don't want to pay for anything, for phones, for extra services, for pretty much anything. I don't work in the wireless industry, in fact, I work in a hospital. I don't hear stuff like that. Everyone knows that health care is not free. I can only imagine hearing this: I have been coming to this hospital for 5 years, I should get a free X ray. That would crack me up.
    Fluid - thats a great analogy. I am a CS rep and would be tempted to use that one sometime.

As for the O.P. - not sure what your title is if you're not a Sup but you sit in the Zone all day.
    11-27-08 06:48 PM
    l

A little comparison with sprint (CDMA)... $99 bucks gets you unlimited calling, unlimited data, unlimited texting.

Now... I, as most of us, are definitely willing to pay for more a better network and better CS but it has to be realized how much more we are actually paying and if the tactics are actually fair when adding to an already pricier network.

Sometimes I just wish they just raised all their prices overall and quit the petty tactics they use overall to try to raise secret cash from customers with locked services and backdoor deals with phone makers
    I get your general point...but this is my point right here. The reason Sprint had to go with this plan was BECAUSE their service (both network and CS) sucked. VZW shouldn't have to match something that was put out to get the customers back who left because of a garbage network and even worse customer relations.
    11-27-08 07:02 PM
    let me just point out the ones u highlighted. First texting. It is a fact that congress is investigating the outragiously high cost of texting. Especially when u design an instnt messaging app that malitiously uses texts in order to force u to get an unlimited plan, EHHHH!!! Now I will say that verizon is not alone here as I think AT&T plans are similar (dont kow about the app texting part though). Tmobile and sprint however are defnitely cheaper overall tho. But as I said orignially, I dont isolate verizon for every problem, this is an example of that. I just pointed it out as one of the many general problems with overpricing and nickle n diming customers. And as I stated before, what makes verizon different is that its using the price gouging tactics of all the networks at the same time making it an overall more expensive proposition. And this is aside frm the already higher base prices relative to the competition.

So the question then becomes... how much is a better network worth?
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 11-27-08 at 11:34 PM.
    11-27-08 11:21 PM
    as for your second highlighted point, I already made my case in my orignial post. You don't charge people to access the very place your trying to get people to buy from. Ur already allowed to check ur minutes and go on several websites using data without being charged airtime with most mobile phones (not BB phones). So allowing people to shop airtime free is not a tough proposition and is just an overall good business practice. I always had issues with this and therefore would never use the v-cast store in protest. Not to mention the $3 price tag for a 20 secnd ringtone that is 99 cents on i-tones... FOR THE ENTIRE SONG!!!

Then to *** to the frustration, not being able to use MP3 songs as ringtones just so u are forced to buy their crap, EWWWW, pisses me off!

I also protest VZ nav by never choosing to buy it because of this locked GPS issue. And if we all complained and did the same, they would change their tactics... oh wait, I thought I heard that they were going to unlock GPS soon!!! I wonder how that happened??? lol

Happy thanksgiving guys!
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 11-27-08 at 11:36 PM.
    11-27-08 11:25 PM
88 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD