Why does Verizon Wireless not cater more to BB users?

Well i guess what i mean is, AT&T is constantly bragging about being the nations largest carrier and biggest distributers of blackberrys and bla bla bla and having more bars in more places.

why doesnt verizon make ALL their phones world phones? i mean, does that not make more sense? then they could do the same. Vodaphone is a major player overseas second only to probably t-mobile so i'm sure that coverage would be just as good anywhere else overseas as at&t beause vodaphone has the roaming agreements.

why not push the "world phone" campaign a little bit more? obviously thats the main reason at&t sells more blackberrys its because its a business phone and business users travel overseas a lot. well i think VZW should PUSH to get world phone curves pearls and whatever else. that just makes the phone twice as better as any regular gsm berry does it not?
    01-06-09 11:08 PM
    Well... good question.

Honestly, this won't change too much until Verizon goes GSM (4g). If you think about it, more research and testing have to go into world phones and manufacturers rather make GSM devices as it's the world standard. If they make CDMA devices, it's only good for a handful of carriers.

AT&T received that amount due to buying out AT&T wireless (when they were Cingular). AT&T had the largest business segment and all "Current AT&T Mobility" aka "Cingular Wireless" did was purchase and inherit the business customers.

01-06-09 11:25 PM
    Why does Verizon Wireless not cater more to BB users?
    Who truly caters to them more than does VZW?

Well i guess what i mean is, AT&T is constantly bragging about being the nations largest carrier and biggest distributers of blackberrys and bla bla bla and having more bars in more places.
    Key word: bragging. There are so many caveats, claims 7 numbers twisting, it is nearly impossible to say who is telling the truth * who isn't. Many of these same claims are used in similar fashion by VZW.

why doesnt verizon make ALL their phones world phones?
    Since when is VZW a phone manufacturer? You have two competing technologies in GSM & CDMA. Single devices do not work on both without having extra circuitry. With this extra circuitry comes cost & complexity and for what? 96% of the world never leaves the country they live in. When they do, it is typically short-term, often to the adjacent country and these folks often don't care if their phone is capable of making/receiving calls in Lower Elbonia. For those who do care, these folks are often floored at the costs of doing so. For me, I use a call routing number & snag a pre-paid phone in the country I visit. It is generally cheaper & I don't have to be concerned about losing my phone. In the end, the carriers don't make the phones - they have to offer what the manufacturers make.

why not push the "world phone" campaign a little bit more? obviously thats the main reason at&t sells more blackberrys its because its a business phone and business users travel overseas a lot. well i think VZW should PUSH to get world phone curves pearls and whatever else. that just makes the phone twice as better as any regular gsm berry does it not?
    You're forgetting that the world is moving toward LTE and away from both GSM & CDMA. There are those who claim LTE is the new & improved GSM, while others will claim it is the new & improved CDMA. In reality, both are a bit correct, but LTE will not be backwards compatible with either.

And guess what? With LTE, there are rumors that individual countries MAY regulate the frequencies of LTE for security (read population control) purposes. So while LTE promises to make the true world phone a reality, the politics of bigger governments may undo it all.
    01-07-09 12:54 AM
    Who truly caters to them more than does VZW?
    THIS! I love VZW and I can't wait for them to join the rest of the world and go GSM
    01-07-09 08:55 AM
    You're forgetting that the world is moving toward LTE and away from both GSM & CDMA. There are those who claim LTE is the new & improved GSM, while others will claim it is the new & improved CDMA. In reality, both are a bit correct, but LTE will not be backwards compatible with either.
    Wrong-o. LTE is UMTS Long Term Evolution. LTE phones will be able to roam not only onto previous-gen GSM/UMTS networks, but previous-gen CDMA-2000 networks as well. Fact checking ftw!
    01-07-09 11:37 AM
    verizon is launching LTE in Q4 of this year-go search verizon LTE on engadgetmobile.com and read the article-. i do think they should cater more to business users, but they are actually the largest carrier with the most coverage as of jan. 13(may be 18th)when verizon has officially aquired alltel.
    01-07-09 01:26 PM
    Wrong-o. LTE is UMTS Long Term Evolution. LTE phones will. be able to roam not only onto previous-gen
    GSM/UMTS networks, but previous-gen CDMA-2000 networks as well. Fact checking ftw!
    I don't believe this is quite correct. From what I understand, you will need an LTE device to access an LTE network. Your current GSM & CDMA devices will not work.

Per our VZW reps, we will eventually need to upgrade.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-07-09 02:50 PM
    Okay - this just in from a business associate of mine who is an engineer with a major telephony equipment/software/tech firm who does NOT get his info from the Internet hype/hope phone user sites...

UMTS is based on Wideband Code Division Multiple Access, or W-CDMA, technology. 4G-LTE is based on OFDMA and is conceptually similar to Mobile WiMAX, not GSM. It is a new standard and is not backwards compatible with existing equipment. For the near term, duplicate technologies will be employed until equipment depreciation is complete.
    So, take what you will, but it is coming and it should eventually put an end to the bickering over which technology is better to have for global access. Your current devices will still work but if you want the latest & greatest, you'll be looking for (possibly dual-mode) LTE Berrys.

ftw is such a nub thing

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-07-09 04:12 PM
    If you have taken the time to notice, that more and more devices coming out from VZW are duel GSM and CDMA.
    Last edited by lastraid; 01-10-09 at 07:15 AM.
    01-07-09 05:01 PM
    Verizon has the best phone service in the world, so they arent really concerned with customer service or anything else.
    01-08-09 06:00 AM
    Verizon definately caters to their US people they have the few and i mean few global phones here and there for those traveling abroad but they look at the big picture and that is the common person uses their phone in the us and thats where most support should be. Since they have their sister company vodafone over in Europe they really arent worried about going GSM
    01-09-09 01:11 AM
    AT&T has the worst Service and more dropped calls than any other carrier
    01-10-09 02:57 AM
    Verizon has the best phone service in the world, so they arent really concerned with customer service or anything else.
    Care to expand on your opionion on why you feel this way?
    01-10-09 07:16 AM
    Verizon definately caters to their US people they have the few and i mean few global phones here and there for those traveling abroad but they look at the big picture and that is the common person uses their phone in the us and thats where most support should be. Since they have their sister company vodafone over in Europe they really arent worried about going GSM
    VZW also has a global a couple of differnet global phone rental programs. I will be taking advantage of this for the wife when she goes thailand
    01-10-09 07:18 AM
    I have never called VZW for issues with my blackberry, I have always come to Crackberry to resolve those issues.
    01-10-09 07:55 AM
    I have never called VZW for issues with my blackberry, I have always come to Crackberry to resolve those issues.
    Do keep in mind though, their will be things that can happen to your device that will not get resolved here. Mostly if they involve your account, or other factors outside the device. I hope this does not happen, but if it does I am sure you will have experience with VZW CS folks
    01-10-09 08:02 AM
    Do keep in mind though, their will be things that can happen to your device that will not get resolved here. Mostly if they involve your account, or other factors outside the device. I hope this does not happen, but if it does I am sure you will have experience with VZW CS folks
    I agree. I deal with the public every day on the phone and wonder how people live without the police. That has made me anal about using Customer Service Reps for products I own, unless it is the last resort. I would rather research and ask questions here than bother CSR. I know that is their job and that is what they get paid for, but it is something I do.

I have used CSR for other issues on the other 4 lines on my account and have had nothing but wonderful things to say about them, and VZW CSR by far are at the top of their game.
    01-10-09 08:07 AM
    vzw reps are by far the best. sprint/nextel are by far the worse. to give you a number figure:

verizon is 1000x better than nextel/sprint on a day in which all the cs reps' pets died and they take it out on anyone that calls them.
    01-11-09 09:20 AM
    Yeah that's what I want, GSM! So anyone who finds/steals my phone can just pop in their sim card and use it...

That's what I like about CDMA, report an ESN lost/stolen and your average thief (average meaning not knowing how to ESN clone (and how to get away with it)) can't ever use it!!

I work for a VZW retailer, I think it's funny when someone comes in with a lost/stolen phone and tries to activate it, and I have to take it, and return it to it's rightful owner...

Sure GSM gets more phones, and it's more convenient to switch between phones, but it's that convenience that I gladly give up for security...

Just my .02

-Corey
    01-11-09 09:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD