Does Verizon charge for the call forwarding when using YouMail app? If so, can I add the YouMail number to friends & family to stop being charged since any call to friends & family is free? Thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-17-09 10:54 AM
    What a horrible thing to say.
    07-17-09 10:57 AM
    Why not use the YouMail or Vymail application to check your messages over your data connection? It's free.

07-17-09 11:06 AM
    Why not use the YouMail or Vymail application to check your messages over your data connection? It's free.

NurseBerryAddict is not asking about checking voice messages. Looks like he/she wants to know about the cost to forward unanswered calls (i.e., when you don't answer the call and it gets redirected to Youmail). For the record, I've been using Youmail for over a month and I've seen no extra charges.
    07-17-09 11:11 AM
    Thanks crackberryfan. Just didn't want to get a huge bill for forwarded calls. I looked at Verizon's website and it says forwarded calls use airtime (airtime use I don't care about)and if it's forwarded out of your area you will incur long distance charges. YouMails # is long distance for me.

07-17-09 11:21 AM
    Thanks crackberryfan. Just didn't want to get a huge bill for forwarded calls. I looked at Verizon's website and it says forwarded calls use airtime (airtime use I don't care about)and if it's forwarded out of your area you will incur long distance charges. YouMails # is long distance for me.
    Youmail is long distance for me, too. I don't get any charges, however, because long distance is "free" on my plan....like most others.
    07-17-09 12:35 PM
    More info for you.

07-17-09 04:57 PM
    Youmail is crap for dummies.

07-18-09 01:58 AM

Wow! I did not know that. I will stop using it immediately. Thanks for the insight.
    07-19-09 02:57 AM
    Wow! I did not know that. I will stop using it immediately. Thanks for the insight.
    So glad I could be of assistance.

07-19-09 05:02 AM
    I used to use YouMail but ended up switching to Phone Fusion Voicemail Plus. It's still free but a little more basic and I personally think the Visual voicemail app is better (and they just recently updated it!). Part of the reason I switched was because it was easier to setup my own personal message and more basic like normal voicemail is. I put the voicemail number on my Family & Friends list and one time while talking with Verizon Customer Service I had told the Rep all about YouMail and Phone Fusion. And that's because I was inquiring about Verizons visual voicemail they offer for the Storm but not the Curve Anyway, back to the point, I've been using the 3rd party app's for Visual voicemail on my Curve for a good 4 months now and have yet to see any new or random charges on my bill for the call forwarding. Yes I use the Visual voicemail app to check my messages, but I did add the number I can call to check my messages as normal and change my personal greeting that callers here to my Family & Friends list.

07-19-09 10:46 AM
    I've been using YouMail for a few months with no additional fees for my forwarded unanswered calls.

I may have to check out Phone Fusion Voicemail Plus just as something different. YouMail is meeting my needs but it's always nice to have more than one option.
    07-19-09 05:40 PM

I guess I must be a dummy. I've been using it for months with no problems, and will probably continue to use it. I like having all of my messages saved as mp3 files. I remember reading a while back that someone had a relative that passed away. Since they had all of their voice messages saved as mp3 files, they were able to download all of them from their account and save them as a keepsake.

07-19-09 11:44 PM
    I guess I must be a dummy. I've been using it for months with no problems, and will probably continue to use it.
    I used to think that way until it was pointed out to me that it also affects the privacy of those people who leave you messages...

I won't do that to people I care about.

07-20-09 04:58 PM
    I thought about that too, but everyone who leaves me a message never leave their contact information because I already have that.
    I also hear people complaining about privacy, yet there are many people walking around stores with a bluetooth to their ear telling the world all of their business.

07-20-09 06:31 PM
    I thought about that too, but everyone who leaves me a message never leave their contact information because I already have that.
    I also hear people complaining about privacy, yet there are many people walking around stores with a bluetooth to their ear telling the world all of their business.
    All very true - especially the part about telling the world about your half of a BT conversation.

The problem is that YouMail can also share incoming caller's CallerID info with their third-party companies who could then use those as valid contact numbers for telemarketing. I have even heard arguments claiming this gets them around the provision of the telemarketing law that says companies you contact, do business with or use the services of don't have to abide by the DoNotCall list restrictions. This may or may not be true, but it is something to think about.

I guess if we were to use something like this, we might alleviate some concern by advising folks in your greeting to not leave you any identifiable info, but by the time they hear the message, YouMail has already recorded their number.

And, as we all know, YouMail has no privacy promise to your callers. ;

07-20-09 07:53 PM
    All very true - especially the part about telling the world about your half of a BT conversation.

The problem is that YouMail can also share incoming caller's CallerID info with their third-party companies who could then use those as valid contact numbers for telemarketing. I have even heard arguments claiming this gets them around the provision of the telemarketing law that says companies you contact, do business with or use the services of don't have to abide by the DoNotCall list restrictions. This may or may not be true, but it is something to think about.

I guess if we were to use something like this, we might alleviate some concern by advising folks in your greeting to not leave you any identifiable info, but by the time they hear the message, YouMail has already recorded their number.

And, as we all know, YouMail has no privacy promise to your callers. ;

Are there any alternative services that don't have privacy concerns?

07-20-09 08:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD