11-12-09 06:07 PM
101 1234 ...
tools
    The average cost for an ETF is $150, but Verizon is now changing it to $350
    WOW. That's pretty ridiculous.

T-Mobile's new EM+ plan is 1/2 the price of Verizon's plans and includes unlimited minutes and does NOT require a contract.

If I were you, I'd pop over to T-Mobile.
    11-09-09 05:50 PM
    WOW. That's pretty ridiculous.

T-Mobile's new EM+ plan is 1/2 the price of Verizon's plans and includes unlimited minutes and does NOT require a contract.

If I were you, I'd pop over to T-Mobile.
    Tmo has to be cheaper, you get what you pay for.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-09-09 05:57 PM
    When I cancelled my Verizon contract, it was only $50.00
    11-09-09 06:53 PM
    But I will admit the whole "You get what you pay for" thing mentioned above. Not talking coverage, because in my area Sprint has better coverage, but as far as retail stores, customer service, phone selection, Verizon wins.
    11-09-09 06:56 PM
    Tmo has to be cheaper, you get what you pay for.

Last time I checked, T-Mobile and Verizon got about the same evaluations in all the tech write up evaluations. Consumer Reports, J.D. Powers, etc.

Here in LA, the nation's 2nd-largest city (which makes it bigger than Boston), T-Mobile is just as good if not better than Verizon.

Sometimes you really don't get what you pay for. Sometimes Verizon overcharges you.
    11-09-09 07:01 PM
    as far as retail stores, customer service, phone selection, Verizon wins.
    Better do a little more research. Verizon really doesn't win in these areas. Certainly not in the customer service area where T-Mobile consistently wins every award known to man.
    11-09-09 07:02 PM
    $110 in the last month? Ridiculous. This fee is clearly not designed to do what it is purported to do.

This kind of crap (terrible service, bureaucracy) is why I don't use them.

11-09-09 07:07 PM
    Better do a little more research. Verizon really doesn't win in these areas. Certainly not in the customer service area where T-Mobile consistently wins every award known to man.
    I friggin' hate tmobile (because of their network) but this is true.

I think most peoples perceptions of networks/companies is based in very little evidence.

11-09-09 07:08 PM
    $110 in the last month? Ridiculous. This fee is clearly not designed to do what it is purported to do.

This kind of crap (terrible service, bureaucracy) is why I don't use them.

I must have missed something here. The ETF is $110 in the last month. Just wait another month and the ETF would be $0. Mind as well endure it til the end, right?
    11-09-09 07:12 PM
    If you like the company, you won't be leaving, and won't be subject to it, and should help loyal customers stop subsidizing everyone who jumps ship. Big deal. You're no going to renew because of an ETF? If you like them, you stay, and don't have to pay.

11-09-09 08:04 PM
    Last time I checked, T-Mobile and Verizon got about the same evaluations in all the tech write up evaluations. Consumer Reports, J.D. Powers, etc.

Here in LA, the nation's 2nd-largest city (which makes it bigger than Boston), T-Mobile is just as good if not better than Verizon.

Sometimes you really don't get what you pay for. Sometimes Verizon overcharges you.
    Had tmo for 3 months up here, and service was worse than att, if that's even possible. Vzw has me covered everywhere I go in the US, tmo can't say the same.

11-09-09 08:55 PM
    Thats crazy. Makes other carriers' ETF's look like nothing.
    11-09-09 09:47 PM
    If AT&T or Sprint was going to charge 350 ETF fees then all the VZW users would be rubbing it in or talking smack. But because it's their carriers it's ok. Here's one thing I've found out, that just because I don't PLAN on leaving my current company, doesn't mean I won't. Anything can happen in a short period of time to change everything for you. For instance, I was with VZW for a few years, never had an issue and was totally happy and never thought about leaving. Then I there were some issues with my account with led to a bad string of customer service calls and then cap it off with the garbage Storm, I was done. And then when the issue finally got resolved, they admitted their mistake and offered somethings but the damage was done and I didn't appreciate how I was treated by them during those weeks. So what I am saying is that for 3 years, I was good with VZW and in 2 weeks, they ruined it. And it can happen to anyone. So while some might think a 350 ETF fee is ok because they are satisfied with VZW doesn't mean that somewhere along the line that can change and then you'll be stuck with the huge ETF you supported.

I think the easy solution to all the people just trying to make a quick buck, is to charge an ETF fee of that amount within the first few months, let's say 6 months. Then after that it goes back down to 175. Because by then the novelty will have worn off, phone wouldn't be as valuable and people would be less likely to activate new lines for the purposes of selling the phone. Not too many phones hold their value that long where you can still make crazy money off of it. The market would be saturated with used devices.
    11-09-09 10:01 PM
    To me $350 is a bit ridiculous. They're combating their BOGOS, but how about not having them. It's just an excuse to say "we're fighting to bad individuals". More than likely AT&T (as well as the others) will follow suit and I will say the same about them as well. Being a manager at AT&T, I can think of a million reasons why someone would want to leave before their contract is up. Here are a couple (to add to the one above):

1. Unemployment is at an all-time high and if someone loses their job, they'll then be forced to pay the $350 (more than likely for more than one line). That's insane. In fact, $350 is almost ($10 short of) 1 1/2 times more than an extra line for two years.
    2. If your spouse dies and isn't the account holder, you can only cancel the one line. More than likely, both parties were contributing to all the bills and without them, cellphones will not be a possibility.

I could go on as I've seen a lot of reasons why someone would want to leave and honestly, Verizon is should be stopped by the gov't for things like this. The gov't made it so companies had to reduce the ETF after each month and all Verizon did to counter was increase the amount. I can beat a lot of the Verizon defenders liked the reduced ETF (whether you were going to use it or not), but somehow defend an increased ETF... that doesn't make sense
    11-09-09 10:47 PM
    If you like the company, you won't be leaving, and won't be subject to it, and should help loyal customers stop subsidizing everyone who jumps ship. Big deal. You're no going to renew because of an ETF? If you like them, you stay, and don't have to pay.
    My thoughts exactly
    11-09-09 10:51 PM
    Verizon charges $350? A little stiff.... ah well. Honestly, I don't see myself terminating from AT&T (or ANYONE) anytime soon, either. 4 lines.
    11-09-09 10:55 PM
    The average cost for an ETF is $150, but Verizon is now changing it to $350.

Yeah, I WILL NOT be renewing any phone with VZ considering every phone gets an upgrade every 12 months. $350...no thanks. What a scam.

Verizon's Steep Early-Termination Fees | John Paczkowski | Digital Daily | AllThingsD

Oh, and for those who think it's VZ just trying to get their money back due to the lower price attached to the contract...

"So its certainly understandable that Verizon and other carriers want to protect the subsidies they dole out for these new smart phones. And as noted earlier, Verizons new ETF drops by $10 each month a subscriber remains under contract. But at this rate, subscribers are still bound to pay a $110 termination fee in the 23rd month of a two-year contract. The contract is nearly over, the subscriber obligation to Verizon almost fulfilled, yet the company can still slap its customers with nearly a third of the full ETF if they break it at that time."
    Average ETF $150? I have to pay up to $450 if I want out of my contract. Telus customers have to pay upwards of $500. Not sure about Bell or Rogers, but I bet they're up there in price too. Don't like the cost of terminating services? Then stick with your contract, or start signing one year contracts.
    11-10-09 08:42 AM
    They can charge a $1K ETF if they want - don't care because they are the best carrier in my area hands down.
    11-10-09 08:49 AM
    They can charge a $1K ETF if they want - don't care because they are the best carrier in my area hands down.
    What would happen if you lose your income and have to cut back. Would you be willing to pay $1000 dollars when you'll be needing that money...what would be the other option, default and ruin your credit score?
    11-10-09 09:02 AM

Inherent in the notion of "overcharging" is that there is some "natural" price that is correct, which is not the way things work in the US economy. They set a price, and people either like it or they don't. As long as everything is disclosed up front, people can then decide what they want - and they may not all want the same thing.

It's not a shock that T-Mobile is just as good in LA. You could probably say the same of most major cities. If you never leave LA then that's all you have to worry about. I do a fair amount of travelling and that makes VZW's coverage an important consideration for me.
    11-10-09 09:13 AM
    If AT&T or Sprint was going to charge 350 ETF fees then all the VZW users would be rubbing it in or talking smack. But because it's their carriers it's ok. Here's one thing I've found out, that just because I don't PLAN on leaving my current company, doesn't mean I won't. Anything can happen in a short period of time to change everything for you. For instance, I was with VZW for a few years, never had an issue and was totally happy and never thought about leaving. Then I there were some issues with my account with led to a bad string of customer service calls and then cap it off with the garbage Storm, I was done. And then when the issue finally got resolved, they admitted their mistake and offered somethings but the damage was done and I didn't appreciate how I was treated by them during those weeks. So what I am saying is that for 3 years, I was good with VZW and in 2 weeks, they ruined it. And it can happen to anyone. So while some might think a 350 ETF fee is ok because they are satisfied with VZW doesn't mean that somewhere along the line that can change and then you'll be stuck with the huge ETF you supported.

I think the easy solution to all the people just trying to make a quick buck, is to charge an ETF fee of that amount within the first few months, let's say 6 months. Then after that it goes back down to 175. Because by then the novelty will have worn off, phone wouldn't be as valuable and people would be less likely to activate new lines for the purposes of selling the phone. Not too many phones hold their value that long where you can still make crazy money off of it. The market would be saturated with used devices.
    that's how I ended up with verizon. a string of mishaps too close to the end of my contract w/ t-mo. I had no intention of leaving but when you're treated poorly enough, you will go elsewhere even if it does cost more.

it will be interesting to see how many people actually do leave because of this etf and how much of this is just complaining so people can read their own thoughts/hear themselves talk.
    11-10-09 09:18 AM
    My company pays for my BB so this is not an issue for me. However, if it was, I would keep the phone with a minimal plan and pay for it with my savings for the remainder of the contract. People assume that losing your job = bankruptcy. It doesn't if you maintain savings and no short-term debt.

What would happen if you lose your income and have to cut back. Would you be willing to pay $1000 dollars when you'll be needing that money...what would be the other option, default and ruin your credit score?
    11-10-09 12:09 PM
    Inherent in the notion of "overcharging" is that there is some "natural" price that is correct, which is not the way things work in the US economy.
    I don't know what you do for a living (or indeed even what planet you live on) but I've been a senior manager in both a number of technology and retail businesses and what you are saying here is patently silly.

The way things work in the U.S. economy is based on capitalism. In capitalism, the consumer benefits from competition between companies. The consumer is protected from price gouging by competition. Barnes and Noble can't charge $100 for a new book because Borders is selling it for $20.

In certain industries, there are a limited number of players. Anti trust laws were established in the United States to prevent these oligopolies from screwing the consumer. The cell phone industry in the United States is an oligopoly (a cartel) with a limited number of players in the business. Unfortunately the cell-phone carrier cartel in the USA has skirted the anti-trust laws of the USA for years. The concept of locking customers into contracts is clearly an anti-consumer scheme.

Verizon isn't raising their rates and competing company to company on service ... Not at all. What Verizon is doing is enacing a scheme to lock in consumers so they can't leave to go to other providers. It's anti-consumer and it's anti American.

It's not a shock that T-Mobile is just as good in LA. You could probably say the same of most major cities. If you never leave LA then that's all you have to worry about.

As a senior director of sales with a Fortune 500 technology company, I traveled all over the United States and never had any more of a problem using T-Mobile than I did using Verizon when I had Verizon service.

I do a fair amount of travelling and that makes VZW's coverage an important consideration for me.
    Cool. But in that "fair amount of traveling" that you do, please refrain from getting on a plane to leave the country because your Verizon CDMA service won't work in most other countries on the planet outside of the USA. Of course if you happen to have the good fortune to be traveling internationally next to me or another T-Mobile customer, you can travel in confidence knowing that when you get off the plane in London, Paris, Lisbon or Munich, you'll be able to borrow a T-Mobile cell phone, turn it on and have it work.
    11-10-09 12:16 PM
    This is why Verizon offers the Tour - it has a SIM card and works great on any GSM network. Plus in the NE US, Verizon actually works if you aren't in a city core or on an interstate highway, unlike T-Mobile. So you gwt the best of both worlds, domestic and international.

Cool. But in that "fair amount of traveling" that you do, please refrain from getting on a plane to leave the country because your Verizon CDMA service won't work in most other countries on the planet outside of the USA. Of course if you happen to have the good fortune to be traveling internationally next to me or another T-Mobile customer, you can travel in confidence knowing that when you get off the plane in London, Paris, Lisbon or Munich, you'll be able to borrow a T-Mobile cell phone, turn it on and have it work.
    11-10-09 12:23 PM
    This is why Verizon offers the Tour - it has a SIM card and works great on any GSM network. Plus in the NE US, Verizon actually works if you aren't in a city core or on an interstate highway, unlike T-Mobile. So you gwt the best of both worlds, domestic and international.
    1.) Not every Verizon customer has a Tour or can roam on GSM carrier's networks because their Verizon CDMA service doesn't work.

2.) If service in the depths of the basement at your grandmother's house in Cheapeachet is important to you, get a T-Mobile UMA phone and it will work anywhere there is an Internet router. Something else Verizon doesn't offer.
    11-10-09 12:43 PM
101 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD