01-12-09 04:41 PM
29 12
tools
    * Kinda lengthy, but worth the read... Especially for new BlackBerry pearl owners experiencing problems.

I now have a blackberry 8330. My carrier is verizon. Origonally, I bought a BB Pearl, because it has all of the functions of bb plus a small sleek design, and a refreshing new color "Pink".

Within 2 weeks of having my Blackberry Pearl it was freezing up, deleting txts before I read them, deleting saved messages, deleting call logs....ect. So I was given a new phone two weeks later same thing happened. I even bought and used a 2G memory card before utilizing most of the many options my phone offers. Frusterated, I spent the next week in customer service heck. Many of my carriers techs new less than I did and I had only had my phone for 6 weeks. Later my sales person was able to help me get to a tech that not only works with blackberrys, but owns one as well. Apparenty the pearl has some persistant issues. Turns out they are the same issues mentioned above. There response was: Blackberry is a pda (duh), and not set up for mass media downloads (music,pics,themes,games,apps,ect). Keep in mind that I did not download or access the net much the second time until after I bought my 2g card. Not much is 13 ringtones,6 pics,0 themes,video. They also said that these problems are exclusive to the pearl.

Solutions:Wipe the phone completely and reinstall free blackberry default files from the Blackberry website.

People as of right now the only way to back up your contacts is to email them to an email account you can check from your desk top, and copying into your outlook, (make sure to keep updated), or barney rubble style... Write it down.

"Wiping your BB clean will delete your contacts, and anything not saved to your m.card" You are starting the whole system from scratch.

This method is supposed to clear up all of the kinks though. Once the memory on your phone is full, you are at a high risk of your BB acting up. Apparently, after receiving your BB their isn't much memory to work with. I had 86 contacts in mine when it started acting up.

Verizon does offer a contact backup site, but its not compatable with Blackberrys yet. Neither is there ringback tones and the media launcher. The "flash player" message is a general site message. It does not mean u have to download a flash player, you shouldn't have to.

Verizon is constantly updating there site and trying to accomidate their BB users.So if your able to be patient while they get everything fixed then great.

For the ones who can't... BB curve 8330, seems to work much better and is handling my "mass media" much better. (I don't have mass media, but for the sake of argument we'll stick with their term ) Without all of the drama, and more than double the amount of content I saved to my Pearl. I have several themes, over 100 contacts, 86 ringtones, 32 saved backgrounds, mass family photos.... Well you get the picture.

I did learn a good bit of trouble shooting on a BlackBerry pearl during that long grueling process. I also came out a happy Blackberry owner owner owner in the process.

Please share your problems and experiences to help out other new bb owners solve their proaround bb period, besides there is still a lot out their I don't know yet. I'm still a newbie.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-21-08 02:10 AM
    I'm sorry you had all those problems, and that the Customer Service people were not much help. The problem you were having was insufficient free memory. The problem affects all 64M BlackBerries, not just your Pearl. The 96M 8330 has 50% more memory to work with, and usually doesn't have the problem, but the principle is the same and it could. The solution is to perform the Stoner Procedure, linked in my sig, to remove the stuff you don't need that's using up your memory. Do that, and a Pearl will work just fine. You should perform it on your 8330 as well, just to make the best use of your additional memory.
    08-21-08 09:54 AM
    Also you can use the DM and backup your contacts. You don't have to email them to yourself...

08-21-08 10:30 AM
    I have verizon and a 8130 pearl and I have ringback tones on mine you get them from the website and it downloads right to your phone. Never had a problem with that.

08-21-08 10:45 AM
    Definitley a low memory issue. Time to read up on your Pearl so you won't keep having the issue. All the answers you need are on this site...
    08-21-08 11:37 AM
    yup, i have a verizon curve, and have had no problems after educating myself through this site.
    08-21-08 11:41 AM
    I also have no problems with my Verizon Curve thanks to this site!
    08-21-08 12:00 PM
    Never had any problems w my curve or vzw. Everything works like it should.

08-21-08 12:46 PM
    I have been amazed at the lack of bb knowledge displayed by verizons tech support. I'm sot saying that they are not helpful, it just seems (imo) that verizon could better equip their techs.

I recently had a an it policy issue and researched it here. It turns out they sent me a refurb that still had part of the policy on it. So I called tech support and they
    Really had no idea what I was talking about. So they actually got a RIM tech on the line and he is was able to help me come to a resoloution.

08-21-08 01:44 PM
    Wow - to the OP - sorry about the issue, but as stated above, this is so not a Verizon issue. It's all about memory.

Hope you've gotten things all squared away so you, Verizon and your BlackBerry live a long & happy life together.

Lots to learn here on CrackBerry - poke around.
    08-21-08 01:46 PM
    Heres my problem with the curve.. I had the phone for approximately two weeks and started having the problem of not hearing audio on a phone call.. People could hear me, but I could not hear them... This happens randomly whether Im sending or receiving a call.. the only way to remedy this is by doing a hard reset by removing the battery and restarting the phone... I am now on my third phone... Most recently received this morning and a short 8 hours after receiving it, this problem has already started... Anyone else having this problem??? Or anyone know of any fixes for it???
    08-22-08 08:06 PM
    Verizon techs mean well but this site is lot more helpful. The bb is a pretty highly tech device. It's frusterating at times but learning from this site is fun and rewarding.
    08-22-08 08:57 PM
    according to verizon the problems you are having are software related and bb is working on a patch should be released soon i also have had my phone curve replaced just today supposedly bb sent out a memo on the problem we will see
    08-27-08 11:14 PM
    according to verizon the problems you are having are software related and bb is working on a patch should be released soon i also have had my phone curve replaced just today supposedly bb sent out a memo on the problem we will see
    This post is correct. Viewing an mms message with sound is what creates the problem. A hard reset or playing another sound through the media player will fix the problem until a patch is released.

08-28-08 03:43 PM
    Verizon techs mean well but this site is lot more helpful. The bb is a pretty highly tech device. It's frusterating at times but learning from this site is fun and rewarding.
    Mike, There are quite a few VZW Tech's, sales, and customer service reps that are here.
    08-28-08 07:04 PM
    Went from the razor 2, lg voyager, to the lg dare and within a month of that purchase, got my curve. Never been so addicted to a phone like I am this one and this site makes it that much better!!!

08-30-08 10:57 PM

08-31-08 10:31 AM
    Had the same prob went thru three phones. Finally they did software update. Prob solved.

08-31-08 10:33 AM
    Heres my problem with the curve.. I had the phone for approximately two weeks and started having the problem of not hearing audio on a phone call.. People could hear me, but I could not hear them... This happens randomly whether Im sending or receiving a call.. the only way to remedy this is by doing a hard reset by removing the battery and restarting the phone... I am now on my third phone... Most recently received this morning and a short 8 hours after receiving it, this problem has already started... Anyone else having this problem??? Or anyone know of any fixes for it???

I had this happen once, pulled the battery and it was fine. That's been since May 26th. Interesting that it's such a recurring problem though!
    08-31-08 11:01 AM
    I've had the same problem with my pearl and I just press the voice dialing key on the left side of the phone once or twice till I hear the "Please say a command" prompt then just cancel the voice dialing. Hope this helps everyone alittle since doing a battery pull can take sometime since most of us have our BB's in cases or sleeves.

09-01-08 10:16 AM
    i've haven't had any issues with vzw or my blackberry. i have my contacts backed up onto a memory stick. Keep in mind that if you don't have your contacts backed up and are switching phones you can take both phones to any vzw store and they will transfer your contacts for you using a cellbrite machine.

And to echo another answer in this thread: i also have ringback tones. While you cannot buy them from the phone itself like you can on v-cast phones you can still browse, buy and manage them on your myverizon site! It's really fast and simple!

At first i missed being able to buy ringback tones and ring tones right from my phone. But then i found a whole bunch of FREE ring tones and wallpaper right here on CB and i got over my v-cast grief! That alone is saving me some money!
    Last edited by chrisy520; 09-01-08 at 10:30 AM.
    09-01-08 10:26 AM
    I'm on my third curve with the same prob as the user above(not hearing anything but people hearing u) anyone know if the patch is out yet?

09-02-08 11:20 AM
    Do you have a ring back tone?? If you do that might be the problem. I was having the same problem, then i deleted the ringback tone and everything works great
    09-02-08 03:24 PM
    I'm on my third curve with the same prob as the user above(not hearing anything but people hearing u) anyone know if the patch is out yet?

hmm 3 devices and the same problem. While this is a known issue with device when gettign MMS wiith sound files and if you do not get MMS's. I bet this is account related and not the phone. Might want to have your carriers tech support to take a look.

Also there is no patch at this time, will be fixed if it is the MMS problem when 4.5 is released.
    09-02-08 05:45 PM
    I Have The Same Problems With My 8330 Curve. Got Rid Of It And Got An Htc Touch. Found Out That Blackberry Is Aware Of The Problem And Will Be Sending An Email To Bb Owners To Correct The Problem
    09-05-08 09:14 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD