11-23-08 10:57 AM
95 ... 234
tools
    The liberal return policies are a strategic business plan put in place to give a competitive edge to the retailer. They end up being MORE profitable for the store/ carrier that enacts them. As a District Manager for RadioShack, I absolutely KNOW when an AT&T store opens across the mall or in the same strip as one of my stores, AT&T sales are going to double. In one mall store I ran back in CT., we went from 90 to 170 AT&T sales a month when AT&T opened a store right next to us. This is not at all unusual. Returns ran just over 10%, which is high, but we still almost DOUBLED contracts. And with commissions running from $16.00 to over $90.00 for a Family Plan, I believe the sales associates would take the trade off anyday. Take the hit on one commission for almost 50% more in total commissions. And why did we have the success? Because RadioShack has the most liberal return policies in the industry, (30 days, no questions asked, no fees,) and most of the lowest prices- cheaper than AT&T stores in virtually every instance." ---------

""if it gets to me or ANY DM, you ARE getting your money back, within 30 days, no questions asked- it doesn't matter WHAT is implied about "abusing" the policy. That's the policy. And it's there because it works. Verizon is "cutting its nose to spite its face" by removing one of those policies."
    Great! We'll get even MORE growth now that AT&T is adding a restocking fee too! That's how I make my Bonus- New Sales Growth!!
    I honestly didn't know that- great selling point for us. I hope that's true in S. Florida AT&T stores!
    Last edited by garpt; 11-16-08 at 05:46 PM.
    11-16-08 05:39 PM
    I hope you don't get hit with the restocking fee....between that and the price difference between the curve and storm, i'd hate to be in the store for that dramatic scene...
    Are you kidding? People will be buying storms at FULL RETAIL for $499.99. You think the price difference ($150 before rebate) plus a $35 restocking fee is that big a deal?
    11-16-08 07:01 PM
    To second what everyone has said, AT&T now has a $20 restocking fee for returned phones (effective October 20). I agree with the verizon rep that was sick of customers abusing the system. I cannot tell you how many customers came in and purchased the curve only to swap it for the bold. These customers do not realize that we cannot turn around and resell that phone as new to someone else even though nothing is wrong with it. We have to send all returned phones back and have them tested and reconditioned and then they are re sold as refurbished for a significant discount. Therefore, people simply 'test driving' phones greatly annoy me. We have fully working phones on display and people can play with them all they want prior to purchasing. Okay, I am finished ranting now!
    Why is this the consumer's problem? When I went to AT&T in late October, I was honest with the rep of my intention to buy the Curve and then exchange it for the Bold if the Bold was in my price range. He pretty much told me I couldn't do that. By contrast, when I went to check out Verizon, they repeatedly told me about the no-questions-asked 30 day return policy and I made no secret of my desire to return my Curve in exchange for a Storm if I wanted. While they didn't actually support that idea, they didn't object to it either. As the Radioshack guy said, these 30 day grace periods are hugely advantageous for the company. In my case, Verizon's very liberal return policies helped me see that it was a better carrier with better CS than AT&T and got me to switch. So don't label me a fraudster.
    11-16-08 07:08 PM
    IMO...35 is still better than purchasing a Curve or EnV or LG5500 for that matter, using it for 20 days and finding I just can't stand it and having to put up with it for 12-20 months without paying retail for a replacement device.
    11-16-08 07:11 PM
    To second what everyone has said, AT&T now has a $20 restocking fee for returned phones (effective October 20). I agree with the verizon rep that was sick of customers abusing the system. I cannot tell you how many customers came in and purchased the curve only to swap it for the bold. These customers do not realize that we cannot turn around and resell that phone as new to someone else even though nothing is wrong with it. We have to send all returned phones back and have them tested and reconditioned and then they are re sold as refurbished for a significant discount. Therefore, people simply 'test driving' phones greatly annoy me. We have fully working phones on display and people can play with them all they want prior to purchasing. Okay, I am finished ranting now!
    Playing with the phone on display is not the same as having it for a couple of weeks. I played with an instinct on display, bought it, then got rid of it b/c it was a piece of crap. I didn't find that out for a couple of days. I think the restocking fee should be conditional or after a week of so. Some reps don't know what the **** they are talking about and get the customer to buy a phone that doesn't fit their needs that customer shouldn't have to pay a restocking fee for the reps incompetence. So I have a simple solution for everything. Buy from Best Buy and don't worry about a restocking fee. Lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-16-08 07:49 PM
    I dont get why the sales reps are complaining about 30 day exchanges. It doesnt affect your commission at all. As a manager I had to worry about it because it affects gross profit. Theres nothing wrong with test driving a phone with the intent on exchanging it for one the carrier just got a new customer. I dont think very many people sign up for verizon with the intent on canceling and going to another carrier for 30 days so thats not really an issue.

So I dont get why sales reps are so mad... You dont get a charge back unless they return it. I personally think the restocking fee's are insane, VZW and AT&T are doing it. Sprint is very very close to going under so they are not an issue. But my point is, yes the Carriers make huge amounts of money, but its proof that even they are taking huge hits in profit and this is a way to catch up a bit on the back end loss.
    11-16-08 08:06 PM
    VZW abuse is a terrible thing and has to be stopped. Together we can make a difference.
    11-16-08 09:57 PM
    Silly Silly Man
    11-17-08 12:20 AM
    As a verizon sales rep, I would like to say that the cavalier attitude towards the 30 day program on this site has lead to it discontinuing. Effective immediately, a restocking fee of $35 will apply to all exchanges. This is directly due to people on this site stating that they have no intention of keeping the curve, but buy one simply to "try out" til the storm becomes available.

Also this dummy line business is a bunch of crap. Starting a contract only to cancel so you can save a couple of bucks. Us sales reps see that and it disappears from our commision check. I can only hope Verizon will begin to bill you for the full amount of the phone after you cancel the line only after a few days.

/end rant
    WAAAHHHH WAAAAHHHH WAAAHHHHH

Yeah, it was THIS WEBSITE that caused Verizon Wireless to change their corporate policy and continue their predatory nature. Nickel and dime us some more. VZ Navigator $9.99 a month. Built-in navigation on other carriers FREE. Visual Voice Mail $2.99 a month, they just don't mention that there is a charge for that feature, they blend it in with the standard "no charge" capabilities. Yet all the CSRs babble on and on about it.

Getting your name on a list for a Storm requires you buy $150 worth of accessories before you even have the phone!!! What else can you do to gouge us some more? I'm sure marketing at VZW will think of another new creative way of raking in the dough and p1ss off customers to a point that don't renew their contracts.

Fock you, you useless little moron. By driving customers away (which is exactly what happens when VZW makes these types of decisions) YOU WON'T HAVE A PAYCHECK.

You're an id10t. You're in a CUSTOMER SERVICE INDUSTRY and claiming that a webiste and what people do with the existing policies just shows you don't value customers. How's your paycheck going to do when there's no one in your store?

Post up some more of your brilliance or take a course in basic salesmanship...

HH
    Last edited by HoldHard; 11-22-08 at 11:02 AM.
    11-22-08 10:36 AM
    Post up some more of your brilliance...
    Personal attacks on the internet, I'm sure your a joy to deal with in real life. Lemme guess...no friends, failed relationships and the biggest keyboard warrior around. I hope you get brain cancer.
    Thank you for coming through right on cue....

HH
    11-22-08 01:12 PM
    and your brilliance includes what? Personal attacks? You did not really refute any of my claims. Like it or not, VZ nav works well and they have every right to do what they feel is necessary to make money. You make claims that I work in a customer service industry so deal with it. If you do not like the way verizon conducts business...LEAVE THEM. You have options...sure verizon dominates most in customer service and cell service, but I'm sure a guy with your infinite wisdom will find a way to make it work.
    11-22-08 01:19 PM
    So TOMWIZ, you say they yank your comission? Do you get a "piece" of the re-stocking fee?
    11-22-08 01:42 PM
    and your brilliance includes what? Personal attacks? You did not really refute any of my claims. Like it or not, VZ nav works well and they have every right to do what they feel is necessary to make money.
    Even if it includes taking out standard working functions in a device and then charging the customer for something that does not work.
    If you do not like the way verizon conducts business...LEAVE THEM.
    Thank you for your sage advice... but it comes a little too late. My corporation has negotiated a global contract with your competition AT&T because of people exactly like you. Your Holier than Thou attitude permeates the company and it was a major factor in losing an account that generated in excess of $70,000 per month. As the Verizon contracts expire, they are simply not renewed.

We have even taken the proactive steps to obtain new AT&T phones for those employees who cannot get a Verizon signal in their part of the country or world (yes, we are a global organization). We are stuck with those contracts and simply reduce the plan minutes to the absolute minimum. In some instances we opt for the early buy out of the contract which management saw as another predatory practice.

This decision was also based on your products not functioning as advertised. VZ Navigator would continually lose it's location and not regain it. I'm not talking about in the middle of the Iowa cornfields, it happened in the suburbs of multiple major cities. Some of the original 8830WE phones would not function correctly even after the endless OS upgrades. Your corporate policy change going from a well publicized 30 day return policy (which is the subject of the thread) to charging for returns was apparently the last straw.

But who needs corporate customers? Losing tiny, little $840,000 accounts appears to have become the standard practice for Verizon.

Refute?

CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW???

So TOMWIZ, you say they yank your comission? Do you get a "piece" of the re-stocking fee?
    Excellent question...

HH
    Last edited by HoldHard; 11-22-08 at 02:21 PM.
    11-22-08 02:15 PM
    WAAAHHHH WAAAAHHHH WAAAHHHHH

Yeah, it was THIS WEBSITE that caused Verizon Wireless to change their corporate policy and continue their predatory nature. Nickel and dime us some more. VZ Navigator $9.99 a month. Built-in navigation on other carriers FREE. Visual Voice Mail $2.99 a month, they just don't mention that there is a charge for that feature, they blend it in with the standard "no charge" capabilities. Yet all the CSRs babble on and on about it.

Getting your name on a list for a Storm requires you buy $150 worth of accessories before you even have the phone!!! What else can you do to gouge us some more? I'm sure marketing at VZW will think of another new creative way of raking in the dough and p1ss off customers to a point that don't renew their contracts.

Fock you, you useless little moron. By driving customers away (which is exactly what happens when VZW makes these types of decisions) YOU WON'T HAVE A PAYCHECK.

You're an id10t. You're in a CUSTOMER SERVICE INDUSTRY and claiming that a webiste and what people do with the existing policies just shows you don't value customers. How's your paycheck going to do when there's no one in your store?

Post up some more of your brilliance or take a course in basic salesmanship...

HH
    What a shame it'd be if you suddenly fell off a cliff.

/sarcasm
    11-22-08 02:22 PM
    Whats wrong with trying a phone for 30 days and returning and trying another one? Isnt that the whole point of it anyways. Whatever another way for vzw to take more money from customers
    11-22-08 02:29 PM
    we get no piece of the restocking fee...and btw, your company is more of the exception than the rule. Your $150 dollars worth of accessories crap is just that. I've never heard of that, ever. You are lying to make your point.

We are growing and other companies are withering. Look it up, compare recent stock prices.
    11-22-08 02:33 PM
    If you do not like the way verizon conducts business...LEAVE THEM.
    If you don't like the policy that allows people to use the phone for 30 days and return it & loosing commission because of it why don't you take your own advice? Thats much better than for you to complain to us here.
    11-22-08 03:53 PM
    I would agree with this topic but I can't. I got my 8330 curve on mid May. The trackball fell out from a fall and dissapeared. I call the local VZW store and they tell me to bring the phone in and they'll give me a brand new one. I head over. I wait 30 minutes and the rep behind the counter says the phones got to be sent back. SENT BACK?! For f**kin what? I asked for a manager to find out why these people couldn't just find me a trackball or at least allow me to purchase one and have it overnight shipped to me. NOPE. The manager told me xhanging the unit out is the only option. WTF. I've seen stories exactly like mine posted up here so I have zero sympathy for VZW or the OP on this one. Besides, they obviously realize now that it was a terrible policy pron to abuse from the get go. They don't need this website to prove that. Just look at the statistics. Big corporate at its finest.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-22-08 04:02 PM
    Useless post.
    +1. i feel the same way...
    11-22-08 04:13 PM
    Even if it includes taking out standard working functions in a device and then charging the customer for something that does not work. Thank you for your sage advice... but it comes a little too late. My corporation has negotiated a global contract with your competition AT&T because of people exactly like you. Your Holier than Thou attitude permeates the company and it was a major factor in losing an account that generated in excess of $70,000 per month. As the Verizon contracts expire, they are simply not renewed.

We have even taken the proactive steps to obtain new AT&T phones for those employees who cannot get a Verizon signal in their part of the country or world (yes, we are a global organization). We are stuck with those contracts and simply reduce the plan minutes to the absolute minimum. In some instances we opt for the early buy out of the contract which management saw as another predatory practice.

This decision was also based on your products not functioning as advertised. VZ Navigator would continually lose it's location and not regain it. I'm not talking about in the middle of the Iowa cornfields, it happened in the suburbs of multiple major cities. Some of the original 8830WE phones would not function correctly even after the endless OS upgrades. Your corporate policy change going from a well publicized 30 day return policy (which is the subject of the thread) to charging for returns was apparently the last straw.

But who needs corporate customers? Losing tiny, little $840,000 accounts appears to have become the standard practice for Verizon.

Refute?

CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW???

Excellent question...

HH
    My company's doing the same. You'll be worrying about that commission check in a different way if this keeps happening.

CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW!!!!
    11-23-08 10:57 AM
95 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD