10-13-09 07:44 PM
31 12
tools
    Here is what I have to say about Chaldo's post with the website coverage maps:

The AT&T map you show is stretched horizontally. This gives the impression that the AT&T map in the ad has less 3G listed.

You also state that the map in the ad is outdated and does not include all the AT&T 3G coverage and that Verizon did this out of pure ignorance/to show more coverage intentionally. This is untrue. You state that the green areas on the map are 3G in addition to the blue areas. This is true. The problem is that these are 3G areas added after 9/4/09. You assume that the VZW ad was created completely after that time. It is entirely possible that VZW took the maps from both websites when they were pitching the idea for the ad and did not update them between then and when the ad is now airing.

In response to saying VZW put too much red on their map:

The maps used in the commercial are slightly less detailed than the maps on the website of either company. This is done for artistic effect and is done on both maps. The map on the Verizon website also has no information as to how recent it is (earliest it could be is 2/21/05). For all we know Verizon used an internal coverage map that was accurate as the AT&T website's map at the time of the commercial draft. This is also what is written on the VZW coverage locator website:

"These maps reflect a depiction of predicted and approximate wireless coverage of the Verizon Wireless Network and the network of other carriers. The coverage areas shown do not guarantee service availability, and may include locations with limited or no coverage."
    10-13-09 12:30 AM
    The Blue and Green are both 3G they just released this commercial so it should include all of that, and the AT&T MAP on there website was updated 9/18.. we are in OCT there is updates.
    I was waiting for at&t to come in here and defend lol
    10-13-09 08:19 AM
    10-13-09 08:40 AM
    There is no comparing AT&T and Verizon network wise...I live in Chicago Metro area and have my personal phone (Bold) on At&T while my workphone (Tour) is thru Verizon. Around town at times I will drop to EDGE on my personal phone alot and even more if I go off into the suburbs or Indiana or Michigan. My work phone keeps 3G in all the same areas.

I travel about a 1-2 weeks out of the month on average and the difference is even more apparent when your in random towns...and that doesn't even take into account dropped called or call failed I tend to get on my Bold.

If I didn't have a great bundle thru AT&T I probably would have jumped ship long ago...and very well might here in the next couple weeks since Verizon jumped the discount for my employer up to 20% a month so the difference comes down to less than 5 bucks a month now.

So that commercial and the maps are very true
    10-13-09 04:34 PM
    The Iphone has drastically slowed AT&T's 3G speed down, they also purposely slow their network down to deal with the congestion. The FCC recently said that carriers that offer moblie internet must have an "Open" network, meaning not regulated. AT&T told the FCC if they open their network, it won't be able to take it. The FCC said, "figure it out"
    10-13-09 04:43 PM
    Ha ha... I was just talking to my sister about this, this weekend... she has an iphone... we were sitting side by side... and she could use her super sweet facebook app and i couldnt... she also could send text when I had no sig. I wonder if they have a map for why?!
    10-13-09 07:44 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD