View Poll Results: Would you want a Blackberry without a data plan?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely not - I am not a poseur.

84 84.85%
  • Yes! I like the look but don't want to pay for it!

13 13.13%
  • What's a BlackBerry? I was looking for Barney the Dinosaur.

2 2.02%
04-13-09 01:02 PM
73 123
tools
    thats like having a wife without a vag1na lol
    03-14-09 11:22 PM
    Or sex without a mate?

Oh wait - some people actually DO that. It causes blindness, you know.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-14-09 11:56 PM
    i bought my blackberry because my sister was picking up the world edition and convinced me it was a solid phone. i admittedly didn't really know what i was getting into, but i figured my 2 roommates had it, so it couldn't be a bad deal

initially, i didn't care to have a data plan on my phone, but verizon requires it, so i smacked it right on and signed on the dotted line.

i really like having an unlimited data plan, i pretty much treat my emails like sms messages (and probably send more emails out now), stay in touch with friends all over the world via bbm (kudos to my unlimited data plan, for free, in theory lol), and surf the internet while i'm on the train to work (and by internet, i really mean crackberry).

i might have learned to live without a data plan (or with a minimal one) had i been with another carrier who didn't require one, but i sure love having one
    03-15-09 12:14 AM
    I had the 250 messages plan on Verizon on the BB... since I was so cheap, I sent most of my MMS/SMS by email and I was using roughly 40 to 50 MB per month, so it was worth it for me... I recently bumped up my message plan to 500 messages (so I could send more MMS directly to different providers bypassing the MMS size limits). As a result, my usage has fallen to 6MB (thus far) and most of that has been some surfing on the web and some app use. I do wish that data wasn't required since I love the the Calendar functions on it... I didn't like Windoze or calendars on the dumbphones.
    03-15-09 02:45 PM

Now that would suck
    03-15-09 06:25 PM
    I would like the option to disable data however

03-15-09 07:19 PM
    I would like the option to disable data however

You do, when your contract is up go to another that allows this
    03-15-09 07:52 PM
    Or sex without a mate?

LMAO! Does that go for the women as well? I always wondered why it was always assumed that only men did these things.

Ok. I am not hijacking the thread anymore.

03-15-09 09:24 PM
    LMAO! Does that go for the women as well? I always wondered why it was always assumed that only men did these things.
    I guess it would. As I always said - having a good woman (or man) can save your eyesight!

Ok. I am not hijacking the thread anymore, either.

03-15-09 09:33 PM
    Well I dont have a data plan at the moment, and not really a problem cause I dont really use the internet outside. I got my hands on a BB Storm from a friend for cheap and i use it unlocked on AT&T with no data plan. Maybe people just like 2 have a nice new phones.
    03-15-09 09:51 PM
    So, looking at these figures, the CDMA carriers requiring data plans (all of them now that I can tell) are doing us a favor. If my lowest total was 18mb, figuring $1.99/mb, my data charge would've been $35.82 or somewhere close without ever accessing data on command. Simply turning my BlackBerry on or off would cost me money. Accessing data would be even more. So the data plan shields me from these access charges, plus allows me email, BBM, Internet access & more, for less than the cost of ala carte data access for the phone function alone.

It averages about $15/mb for blackberry usage. A lot more expensive than the $1.99/mb.

Beacuse if you read ion other posts CDMA phones authenicate though data. This device is always looking for a data signal. NOw VZW use tohave pay as u go under older plans that was 1.5 cents per KB, if my math is correct I think this is just over $15 per MB. Under nationwide plans it is not $1.99 per MB. So, with this in mind, you would be paying more than 29.99 per month. just for device trying to do data. Now, if you were running VZW and had all these device on your network with customers calling wanting credits, what would you do? Also for each customer that calls in, the cost to VZW is about $15 per call. Plus the loss of revenue.
    Maybe transfering to tech support is $15. Our west area president/vice president always drill it into our heads that it's $9/call and $13-15 to transfer. Self serve, right?

Or sex without a mate?

Everytime you do, Jesus kills a kitten.
    03-15-09 10:00 PM
    Gee love when the same info gets communicated different to others
    03-15-09 10:13 PM
    Isn't it.

This is me adding more text so I can post the above message. Thank you for your cooperation, you just wasted about 3-5 seconds in reading this pointless sentence. I appreciate it. No, you can't have it back.
    03-15-09 10:19 PM
    Then go with sprint. I hope their network works well in your area and you do not leave there much. I am glad YOU think that VZW can charge $15 for a data plan. There is a reason that they charge what they charge and other have to give their service away as they also loose customers at an alraming rate. Remember, you get what you pay for.

Just read on phonescoop yesterday thet the share holders are pressing for a sale of US cellular to a larger provider. Not sure what technology they run on, but if ATT buys it, which might make them #1 again - then VZW might have to buy Sprint - then what will you do
    US Cellular uses CDMA like Verizon. Buying them would help verizon in alot of rural areas. They have great coverage in the areas they operate. I doubt the FCC will allow Verizon to buy all their towers just like with Alltel they would have to divest certain shares of market to avoid Verizon becoming a monopoly or some garbage. ATT won't be buying anyone but Tmobile and I doubt that will ever happen. Verizon will just continue to rule the cell phone world.
    03-16-09 12:59 PM
    Having a BB without data would be like having a new sports car that you don't drive.

03-16-09 01:18 PM
    US Cellular uses CDMA like Verizon. Buying them would help verizon in alot of rural areas. They have great coverage in the areas they operate. I doubt the FCC will allow Verizon to buy all their towers just like with Alltel they would have to divest certain shares of market to avoid Verizon becoming a monopoly or some garbage. ATT won't be buying anyone but Tmobile and I doubt that will ever happen. Verizon will just continue to rule the cell phone world.
    Yes and inside reports say that preliminary proposals are in the works for just this scenario.
    Having a BB without data would be like having a new sports car that you don't drive.
    Or worse - a new sports car you can't mount tires to!

03-16-09 01:25 PM
    Why on earth would anyone want a BB without a data plan?
    03-16-09 01:46 PM
    The blackberry wouldnt be a blackberry! You couldnt do anything on it.
    03-17-09 10:33 AM
    I went over a week without being able to use data. My BB broke while out of state and could only use the phone. A replacement was sent to me, but couldn't use data until I got home. Worst week of my life.

So no I would never get a BB without data.

03-17-09 10:45 AM
    I don't have a data plan and Wifi is working great with the right apps. Logicmail for email, gmaps for gps, etc. A data plan would be better for overall functionality, but the price justification isn't there for me. $30 a month is crazy for tiny phone email and internet and I'm not a super business person who is attached to my bb 24/7. When I can get wifi to check an occasional email that's great and gps works everywhere without a data plan so all is good without data. Don't be duped - i'm sure if you already pay for data you'll say it's worth it, but that's what the phone companies want from you. Just like buying a wii and not being able to play dvd's on it. Thank goodness there are folks out there "fixing" these little money maker schemes and making our devices the true smart phones they're supposed to be.
    04-12-09 02:37 PM
    in my opinion its not a CDMA thing, its RIM thing, they know that CDMA is the minority, and they wanna make some $$$ so they require the plan.

but i'd never get this phone without a data plan, like most other posters have said, it'd be pointless!!!
    04-12-09 04:54 PM
    in my opinion its not a CDMA thing, its RIM thing, they know that CDMA is the minority, and they wanna make some $$$ so they require the plan.

but i'd never get this phone without a data plan, like most other posters have said, it'd be pointless!!!
    Actually, CDMA is not in the minority. With Japan, Canada, China, Taiwan & other regions being predominantly CDMA, right now it is roughly equal, with some sources putting CDMA in the lead. I know that in the past 5 years, CDMA has accelerated to a point where it is now about 70% of our construction business.

Even in the US, CDMA is the predominant technology. We have AT&T & T-Mobile holding up the GSM side, but VZW, Sprint, USCellular, the former Alltel (now VZW), Cricket, Helio, MetroPCS and others running CDMA.

RIM sells more CDMA phones now than GSM.

04-12-09 08:04 PM
    ATT won't be buying anyone but Tmobile and I doubt that will ever happen. Verizon will just continue to rule the cell phone world.
    Wow; now thats funny. If I could get away with it and have the same reliability I would. But my opinion; it is better to have it and not need it.
    Than to need it and not have it. I have had data on my phone since I
    started with my moto Q about 3yrs ago...maybe 4
    04-13-09 01:02 PM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD