View Poll Results: Would you want a Blackberry without a data plan?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely not - I am not a poseur.

84 84.85%
  • Yes! I like the look but don't want to pay for it!

13 13.13%
  • What's a BlackBerry? I was looking for Barney the Dinosaur.

2 2.02%
04-13-09 01:02 PM
73 123
tools
    What the heck is the point of a blackberry with no data plan. A girl I work with has a curve no data plan on another service provider I don't get it. She doesn't even have any 3rd party apps. Craziness to me I mean whatever makes people happy but I will sell my blackberry if I drop my dataplan.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-14-09 11:45 AM
    no data plan... wtf is a blackberry for then... a phone?
    03-14-09 11:46 AM
    how bout an option for yes, i want a badass phone but can't afford the data plan? i have a storm, with data plan, but i'm playing devil's advocate here.
    People who know me personally know I enjoy playing devil's advocate - it riles them up, and gets them to thinking.

One of the things about CDMA BlackBerrys is they require a data connection just to authenticate and operate. It isn't a VZW thing or a Sprint thing or anything like that. It is part of the security process. A number of months ago, I went through a month's worth of my data access breakdown and found 23mb of data usage that wasn't tied to my actual data requests. So I checked another month & found the figure to be 26mb. Another month was 20mb. After running 6 months, the lowest I found was 18mb & the highest was 29mb. This was on BIS phones. The BES figures averaged more.

So, looking at these figures, the CDMA carriers requiring data plans (all of them now that I can tell) are doing us a favor. If my lowest total was 18mb, figuring $1.99/mb, my data charge would've been $35.82 or somewhere close without ever accessing data on command. Simply turning my BlackBerry on or off would cost me money. Accessing data would be even more. So the data plan shields me from these access charges, plus allows me email, BBM, Internet access & more, for less than the cost of ala carte data access for the phone function alone.

03-14-09 12:02 PM
    LMAO you left out one. How about Corn Flakes without the Milk? I agree 100%though. I wouldn't have a bb either without data.
    I left out pancakes with no syrup as well. LOL!

03-14-09 12:25 PM
    Sheesh might as well include taking a dump with no TP.
    03-14-09 12:27 PM
    Without gas you can still sit in it, listen to the radio, and have a hottie ride shotgun in it.
    Hold the phone there, Stud. How many point will you score with that 'hottie' after you're all hot & smelly pushing that Ferrari to give her that ride? And will she bail you out of jail when the cops assume you're stealing it?

03-14-09 02:21 PM
    Hold the phone there, Stud. How many point will you score with that 'hottie' after you're all hot & smelly pushing that Ferrari to give her that ride? And will she bail you out of jail when the cops assume you're stealing it?

I didn't say it'd be outside haha! It'd be in the garage since it has no gas and you just drive another car to tell some chick you got a Ferrari so she can come over and just sit in it with you lol.

03-14-09 05:05 PM
    left or right Palm I know really bad. Could not resist though.
    Wow, did you really take it there? Actually, I am glad you did.
    03-14-09 05:07 PM
    Good math but actually because you are blessed w/ a bberry, the actually cost would have been $0.005 per kb of data for your (the cost of pay as u go for bberry, pda / smartphones)... I'd rather pay the $29.99 data cost & use until my eyes fall out.
    03-14-09 06:55 PM
    Its not a bad idea. BB are solid phones, whats wrong with wanting one? 2, you can use wifi on some phones....whats wrong with free internet? 3, what if people cant afford the extra money per month?
    03-14-09 07:58 PM
    Its not a bad idea. BB are solid phones, whats wrong with wanting one? 2, you can use wifi on some phones....whats wrong with free internet? 3, what if people cant afford the extra money per month?
    Then they should go with another carrier such as you have that will support what you are looking.
    03-14-09 08:14 PM
    I have the unlimited data and appreciate it very much. But why do people insist that you have to have a data plan. Why can't I have a phone with a great calendar like BB calendar. Have you ever tried the dare's calendar. It suck's.

03-14-09 08:16 PM
    I have the unlimited data and appreciate it very much. But why do people insist that you have to have a data plan. Why can't I have a phone with a great calendar like BB calendar. Have you ever tried the dare's calendar. It suck's.

Beacuse if you read ion other posts CDMA phones authenicate though data. This device is always looking for a data signal. NOw VZW use tohave pay as u go under older plans that was 1.5 cents per KB, if my math is correct I think this is just over $15 per MB. Under nationwide plans it is not $1.99 per MB. So, with this in mind, you would be paying more than 29.99 per month. just for device trying to do data. Now, if you were running VZW and had all these device on your network with customers calling wanting credits, what would you do? Also for each customer that calls in, the cost to VZW is about $15 per call. Plus the loss of revenue.
    Last edited by lastraid; 03-14-09 at 08:26 PM.
    03-14-09 08:23 PM
    Bb jst wouldn't be the same without data! I guess the people who have WiFi all the time are fine (no push email or BBM though)....just buy a different phone!

Good math but actually because you are blessed w/ a bberry, the actually cost would have been $0.005 per kb of data for your (the cost of pay as u go for bberry, pda / smartphones)... I'd rather pay the $29.99 data cost & use until my eyes fall out.
    I thought that was for overages - I'll have to check further or wait until lastraid or Weekendbum return.

The problem is we may never see a WiFi capable CDMA BlackBerry - I've drawn out reasons why, mostly battery life/durability, elsewhere over the past few days. I won't repeat it again here.

There are GSM carriers who allow it, but as mentioned before, that may be changing quickly.

Then there is the LTE juggernaut looming. VZW is already building it and plans to have it across their entire current territory in under 3 years. Plus there is the issue with the license they purchased - they can go into markets they don't have now, effectively covering over 99% of North America - that could happen in the same time period or might take a little longer - say 2014.

And repeaters in LTE-based stationary deployments will assure operation inside, outside, in the toilet & even in the basement.

With 30-60Mbps transfer on LTE, WiFi effectively becomes worthless, no matter how you slice it.

And don't forget - AT&T's LTE plans don't even start until late 2011 and with the way they are talking, it could be a rollout timeframe twice as long as that of VZW and still will not have the coverage.

It is very possible AT&T will become the Sprint of tomorrow.

Some chatter I was hearing recently - the first TWO LTE Blackberrys are already in the planning stages & both are already slated for VZW.

The age of VZW having a reputation for slow phone deployment may be coming to an end as GSM finally dies off.
    The old pay as u go under america choice plans was 0.015 per KB. this again is $15.36 per MB. Under nationwide if pay as u go was available, would be $1.99 per MB. very expensive, therefore data plans are required, as call in for overages for data people say they do not use is a huge loss of revenue and plus the cost of the reps having to handle the calls. BB are ment to do data.
    03-14-09 08:56 PM
    I don't think anyone in the world could convince me that having a BlackBerry without a data plan makes any logical sense.
    03-14-09 09:01 PM
    I use to use a zire for my organization and if it had the capabilities of a phone it would of been perfect. I prefer the BB calendar. So to have a data plan is not necessary for me but I do want my bb. I'm willing to pay for the data to have a bb.

03-14-09 09:16 PM
    as call in for overages for data people say they do not use is a huge loss of revenue and plus the cost of the reps having to handle the calls.
    Great point. A lot of people don't think about what it costs in customer service minus the cost in lost customers.

I don't know if today's VZW is as anal as the old AT&T, but back in 1990 or so, AT&T used to send out info to call center reps, managers & trainers about the costs of customer service call handling. They had it extrapolated out to not only the cost per minute to handle a customer, but even the cost per keystroke. I don't recall the figures per keystroke of data entry, but I still have prints showing the costs per hour over the years. 1990 was $2.58/min and it climbed to $2.89/min by 1994. These figures did not include the adjustment credit amounts.

People still like to claim that XYZ company misbills or whatever. Those who do and offer toll-free customer support would not stay in business for long if they did.

Reduction in customer service costs either starts with outsourcing customer service to slave labor centers in other countries or by reducing billing complaints & inaccuracies. In VZW's case, it would be the latter, as their centers still are all domestic, paying good wages to good people.

As far as I know, VZW has never had to close centers or enter into Justice Department agreements for unfair labor practices (like Sprint) or has put thousands out of work by outsourcing (like AT&T).

They offer simplicity to the greatest number of their customers and that has given them the strength to expand & grow.

Attention USCellular BlackBerry users - rumors have it you're the next to join The Network.

03-14-09 09:17 PM
    VZW is not quite that bad, the last I heard was $15 just to answer the call and work from there.
    03-14-09 09:22 PM
    VZW is not quite that bad, the last I heard was $15 just to answer the call and work from there.
    It might be less if you & Bum didn't eat so much.

03-14-09 10:04 PM
    BB w/out a data plan.......what's the point? It's a must have.
    03-14-09 10:09 PM
    It might be less if you & Bum didn't eat so much.

Works up hunger runing the mouth all day saying NO! to credits
    03-14-09 10:13 PM
    Attention USCellular BlackBerry users - rumors have it you're the next to join The Network.
    WOW! could this be true?

SOURCE: Phonescoop.com

U.S. Cellular Being Pressured by Investors to Sell
    Yesterday, 6:53 AM by Eric M. Zeman

U.S. Cellular's majority owner, Telephone & Data Systems (TDS), is facing shareholder pressure to sell the nation's fifth-largest wireless network to a larger telecom provider. TDS owns 81% of U.S. Cellular and could soon face a proxy battle by shareholders who want a clear strategy from TDS on its future. Some of the disgruntled shareholders include Gamco Investors and Southeastern Asset Management, which combined own about 30% of TDS. U.S. Cellular has said it will deploy LTE, which is the next-generation technology being adopted by AT&T, Verizon and others, making it a compatible acquisition target in the future. U.S. Cellular has about 6 million customers. None of the companies involved officially commented on any plans
    03-14-09 10:57 PM
    Then go with sprint. I hope their network works well in your area and you do not leave there much. I am glad YOU think that VZW can charge $15 for a data plan. There is a reason that they charge what they charge and other have to give their service away as they also loose customers at an alraming rate. Remember, you get what you pay for.

Just read on phonescoop yesterday thet the share holders are pressing for a sale of US cellular to a larger provider. Not sure what technology they run on, but if ATT buys it, which might make them #1 again - then VZW might have to buy Sprint - then what will you do

Are you high?

I never indicated that I am thinking of changing to Sprint.
    But to answer your concerns about Sprint coverage, yes it works fine in my area. I had it before here and had very little problems. I'm glad YOU are glad that I think Verizon has a $15 data plan. But wait, oh, they do have a $15 data plan. Unlimited.

For non Blackberry devices. So, what is the main difference between a Blackberry and a regular device? EMAIL PUSH. Which is what I said. That I think it should be an option for people who don't care about the email push, to just be able to pay $15 for web surfing just like the non Blackberry customers. Once again, using Sprint as the comparison, they have Everything Data plans and Simply Everything plans that cover data. You can swap to a Blackberry on those plans without paying extra. Only if you are on a voice only plan do you have to add on a BB plan.

Yes, there is a reason why they charge what they charge... the same reason Verizon charges the exact same $15. What is your point?

If Verizon buys Sprint, that will mean more people will be free calls for me. I guess I would take one of my friends off my list of free calls, because she'd be free anyway?

You way missed any point I had in what I said, way to go forum crusader!

Also, I keep seeing people reference Verizon buying Sprint. It's not going to happen. Sprint has their market for a reason. If they did buy Sprint, millions of customers wouldn't pass the credit required by the likes of Verizon/ATT.

In fact most of them probably owe Verizon $ and had to get a Sprint phone and pay a small deposit which covers their spending limit.

Finally, why do I reference what Sprint does? Because that is what I know. I had an account with them, and I work for them.

As a customer, because of the CS, and coverage, and everyone I know having Alltel or Verizon, I'm more than happy where I am.
    03-14-09 11:10 PM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD