View Poll Results: Would you want a Blackberry without a data plan?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely not - I am not a poseur.

84 84.85%
  • Yes! I like the look but don't want to pay for it!

13 13.13%
  • What's a BlackBerry? I was looking for Barney the Dinosaur.

2 2.02%
04-13-09 02:02 PM
73 123
tools
    This is a counter post to the currently running thread http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/who...a-plan-179848/ running elsewhere in this forum.

Some facts: CDMA BlackBerrys, because of security and the fully digital nature of the CDMA format, constantly need data, whether you access Internet/email features or not. This is a reason both VZW & Sprint automatically place BlackBerry users on data plans.

Besides that can you think of any good reasons to have a BlackBerry without a data plan instead of a capable "dumbphone" like a Dare/Voyager/enV2 etc.?

My attitude is that if you absolutely have to have a BlackBerry but don't want to pay for or cannot afford the data plan, there are the T-Mobile & AT&T options. Their data connections are extremely slow anyway and paying for a data plan on their networks may feel like a ripoff. Then again, there are rumors that changes may be afoot even at those carriers where to get a subsidized phone price, you may soon be required to carry a data plan with them for the duration of your contract. These changes might affect only new phones or might affect all BlackBerry users. So don't sit comfortabl thinking you can have the "street cred" of a BlackBerry while being a cheapskate by not paying for data - it may change for you soon.

But, in reality, I cannot see, justify, nor defend anyone wanting a RIM device without a data plan. It is like buying a high-end computer without a broadwand computer, or without Photoshop or quality video-editing software.

I mean, if you're not going to use the performance, why have one?

Vote above & add feedback below.
    03-14-09 12:42 AM
    Nope, IMO is worthless, the qwerty is very text friendly of course.
    03-14-09 12:56 AM
    No. Having a blackberry with out a data plan is like have kool-aid with no sugar, peanut butter with no jelly, eyes with out a face, a car with no tires, a biscuit with no butter, Seattle with no rain, a toilet with no flush, Barbie with no Ken, pregnant Midge with no husband, underarms with no deodorant, a shower with no water, or Mork with no Mindy.

In other words, I would not ever have a BB without data. Seriously.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-14-09 01:09 AM
    I actually thought bout not gittin a data plan b4 I was with verizon. I thought it was the same internet that verizon offered with their dumphones. But now there is no way I would go without it. I don't know how many times we've been out n needed to compare prices , needed a phone number or even needed an address to a place that wasn't in my nuvi.

03-14-09 08:50 AM
    i voted no, although i am a poseur.

if i didn't use the features i would choose a phone that better suited me and save money.
    03-14-09 10:11 AM
    i voted no, although i am a poseur.

if i didn't use the features i would choose a phone that better suited me and save money.
    I was just about to post the exact same thing. I voted no but I am NOT a poser.
    03-14-09 10:13 AM
    I was just about to post the exact same thing. I voted no but I am NOT a poser.
    then you voted with clear conscience. it says no and that you are NOT one in the poll.
    03-14-09 10:14 AM
    Data is a must for Blackberry...
    03-14-09 10:14 AM
    Data is a must - PERIOD!
    03-14-09 10:21 AM
    There should be another option on the poll.

I *think* Verizon users can get a $15 unlimited data plan. I know Sprint has that.

Why am I paying $30 a month for the same crap plus the email push just because I have a BB device? I'd love to have the option of not paying for the internet if I was ever in a financial bind, and only paying $15 for $15 worth of usage would only be fair.
    03-14-09 10:24 AM
    There should be another option on the poll.

I *think* Verizon users can get a $15 unlimited data plan. I know Sprint has that.

Why am I paying $30 a month for the same crap plus the email push just because I have a BB device? I'd love to have the option of not paying for the internet if I was ever in a financial bind, and only paying $15 for $15 worth of usage would only be fair.
    Then go with sprint. I hope their network works well in your area and you do not leave there much. I am glad YOU think that VZW can charge $15 for a data plan. There is a reason that they charge what they charge and other have to give their service away as they also loose customers at an alraming rate. Remember, you get what you pay for.

Just read on phonescoop yesterday thet the share holders are pressing for a sale of US cellular to a larger provider. Not sure what technology they run on, but if ATT buys it, which might make them #1 again - then VZW might have to buy Sprint - then what will you do
    03-14-09 10:33 AM
    bb without data is not a bb IMO... if i didnt have a data plan... my bill would be rather large LMAO
    03-14-09 10:33 AM
    I have a 8320 and using just wi-fi has been successful. I have a lot of wi-fi apps like BBWeather, Jivetalk, AP News, FlyCast, BBTran, Opera mini, LogicMail. It's good and all but the plan, of course, is better to use internet anywhere.
    03-14-09 10:37 AM
    BB with no data? Just buy a Palm. LOL, JK.
    03-14-09 10:51 AM
    left or right Palm I know really bad. Could not resist though.
    03-14-09 10:54 AM
    No Data Plan with BB? God...NO. What would be the point? It's all about getting emails, surfing the web, etc.
    03-14-09 11:02 AM
    A BlackBerry w/o the BlackBerry plan is not that good. But it aint bad either. I can get by without it. But on Verizon you have no choice I hear. They won't take it off.

03-14-09 11:13 AM
    A BlackBerry w/o the BlackBerry plan is not that good. But it aint bad either. I can get by without it. But on Verizon you have no choice I hear. They won't take it off.

You are very correct
    03-14-09 11:14 AM
    i definitely prefer the data plan, it just gives it a little something extra.
    03-14-09 11:19 AM
    If I wanted just a phone, then that's what I'd have. But I use my BB for a lot of things, and the phone is only about 10% of my usage, if that high.

And since the cost of my BB plan is the same Simply Everything Family plan that regular users have; Duh.

03-14-09 11:20 AM
    I personally couldn't live without the data plan. I use the internet waaaaaay to much and my email access is a must have feature.

However, I know someone who has a bb curve from at&t without a data plan. He just has the data option turned off. Without the data option turned on... he's unable to receive email, internet, pics, etc. Basically its a phone and a pda in one but not a TRUE bb.

I wouldn't say it's not a true BB. Take, for example, a Ferrari without gas. It's a true Ferrari with seats, wheels, and windshield wipers. All you gotta do is put gas to use it to its full potential. Without gas you can still sit in it, listen to the radio, and have a hottie ride shotgun in it. But with gas you can use it for what it was made for--getting laid. Haha jk! But a BlackBerry is still a BlackBerry regardless of a data plan.

03-14-09 11:30 AM
    left or right Palm I know really bad. Could not resist though.
    LMAO!!
    03-14-09 12:00 PM
    I wouldn't say it's not a true BB. Take, for example, a Ferrari without gas. It's a true Ferrari with seats, wheels, and windshield wipers. All you gotta do is put gas to use it to its full potential. Without gas you can still sit in it, listen to the radio, and have a hottie ride shotgun in it. But with gas you can use it for what it was made for--getting laid. Haha jk! But a BlackBerry is still a BlackBerry regardless of a data plan.

this thread is cracking me up!
    03-14-09 12:02 PM
    No. Having a blackberry with out a data plan is like have kool-aid with no sugar, peanut butter with no jelly, eyes with out a face, a car with no tires, a biscuit with no butter, Seattle with no rain, a toilet with no flush, Barbie with no Ken, pregnant Midge with no husband, underarms with no deodorant, a shower with no water, or Mork with no Mindy.

In other words, I would not ever have a BB without data. Seriously.

LMAO you left out one. How about Corn Flakes without the Milk? I agree 100%though. I wouldn't have a bb either without data.
    03-14-09 12:06 PM
    how bout an option for yes, i want a badass phone but can't afford the data plan? i have a storm, with data plan, but i'm playing devil's advocate here.
    03-14-09 12:08 PM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD