View Poll Results: Would you use the PTT Feature?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I most definitely would...

23 28.75%
  • No, I would not use this feature...

40 50.00%
  • Why would Verizon add something like this....

6 7.50%
  • Undecided, would have to hear good reports on the feature to use it..

11 13.75%
    Well by the looks of it. Verizon will be adding PTT to the BlackBerry Tour. Would you use it?

Would you pay the extra cost of $5 a month for the extra piece of communication?

My feelings are in emergency services. When we are actively running under EMA, emergency management. Cell phones become a back up to the mobile radios we use. 1. To much radio traffic. 2. Misc details that do not need to be said over the air for such type calls can be transmitted via Cell right now. It's worked great in the past.....

But with this new feature, will it be considered reliable?

Would it be considered as a back up to our radio system when it is over taxed with radio traffic.

I feel it would work great and looking forward to testing it out with my company.

Thoughts?
    03-16-10 10:24 AM
    I assume everything you say over your radio is recorded. Would the PTT channels on your Tour be recorded also? If not, would that be an issue?
    03-16-10 10:32 AM
    I would use it. I have two boulders now with PTT. So much better then carrying around those junk walkie talkies.
    03-16-10 06:42 PM
    I assume everything you say over your radio is recorded. Would the PTT channels on your Tour be recorded also? If not, would that be an issue?
    Only on a repeated channel.

Anything on a talk around which is what is used when on scene is not recorded. Only primary dispatch channel at center in recorded. But when allot of calls are going on, allot of traffic is used on the radio and even using non repeated channels it can be tough at times..

We have used just cell before and it worked out ok. this would have to be another feature to possibly look into.....
    03-16-10 07:13 PM
    nice Poll Yester!

I voted most definitely. It will come in very handy for my line of work in construction
    03-16-10 07:29 PM
    Big negative on the PTT here. I can't stand when people feel the need to use PTT in public. Did/does Nextel/Sprint charge their customers for this ability?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-16-10 07:38 PM
    nope, i would never use it for personal use.
    03-16-10 07:40 PM
    Definitely I would use it for both Personal and Business. More on the business end. Hope it is only a software upgrade that would be needed for the Storm2.
    03-16-10 08:03 PM
    I can't think of any use for it, so no and I certainly wouldn't pay for it...
    03-16-10 10:27 PM
    Yes i would most definitely pay for it and use it. Alot of other members on my vfd have verizon and ptt on their phones and i have it on my barrage currently. Much better than having to make 10 phone calls to talk about something.
    03-16-10 10:40 PM
    No, I would not use it. I had a dumbphone from AT&T that had PTT and never had a use for it. I'm not currently a VZW customer, but I voted since I did have a PTT-capable phone in the past and would not rule out switching to VZW in the future.

I can understand that law enforcement and construction workers might need walkie-talkie on their phones, but it would not be useful for most other jobs or for personal use.
    03-16-10 10:51 PM
    Wouldn't use it either. Had it with Nextel and found it annoying.

03-17-10 08:58 PM
    Well by the looks of it. Verizon will be adding PTT to the BlackBerry Tour. Would you use it?

Would you pay the extra cost of $5 a month for the extra piece of communication?

My feelings are in emergency services. When we are actively running under EMA, emergency management. Cell phones become a back up to the mobile radios we use. 1. To much radio traffic. 2. Misc details that do not need to be said over the air for such type calls can be transmitted via Cell right now. It's worked great in the past.....

Would it be considered as a back up to our radio system when it is over taxed with radio traffic.

I feel it would work great and looking forward to testing it out with my company.

Thoughts?

The looks of this just went to 99.9999999% of this happening. Now, with this inm mind, will it be added via third party app, app pushed to the device, or embedded in a 5.0 upgrade?
    03-18-10 03:57 PM
    i doubt all my friends would also pay for this service, so no, i don't think i would use it
    03-18-10 04:09 PM
    no have no use for it
    03-18-10 04:10 PM
    Yes, I'd use it. The question is will my friends and family use it too. If I can't get at least two people to use it with me I won't bother.
    03-20-10 05:25 AM
    Probably not (even if it became available to other carriers)

For my work its not a necessity. My friends are ok with IM'ing me (BBM/sms/mms/ect). Everyone else just calls me, so... I doubt it would be something for me.

However if it was great voice quality, and people I know had it I would consider it.... but again, probably not.
    03-20-10 07:36 AM
    Yes I would and my entire company would too.

03-20-10 07:58 AM
    The utility company I work for has been using Verizon's Push-to-Talk service for over a year & find it convenient & reliable. After switching over from Nextel there were some concerns but the PTT system is much easier to manage when compared to the old iDen network from Nextel in my opinion. Everything can be managed remotely by computer which is nice. User groups are easy to set up too. Supervisors can contact individual personnel as well as groups depending on how the system is set up.

For the $5/month, you get unlimited usage and Verizon usually offers preferred rates to Emergency Services & Government agencies via State contract.

Based on my experience, the change over was a positive one with no regrets. No system or network is perfect but this has been the most reliable one that we have used so far. In addittion, customer service from the business support division has been great too.

My feelings are in emergency services. When we are actively running under EMA, emergency management. Cell phones become a back up to the mobile radios we use. 1. I To much radio traffic. 2. Misc details that do not need to be said over the air for such type calls can be transmitted via Cell right now. It's worked great in the past.....

Thoughts?
    03-20-10 08:04 PM
    I'm undecided, but I most likely wouldn't use this feature, I just have no need for it.
    03-21-10 09:47 AM
    I can see how it would be useful for us in construction and other business work but I don't see how personal consumers would use it.

03-21-10 10:05 AM
    I voted no. Nobody else I know uses it. Plus I would probably just send a text anyways.
    03-21-10 12:11 PM
    What? BBM isn't enough for you guys?
    03-21-10 04:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD