07-12-10 08:59 AM
26 12
tools
    I paid 360 for an 8530? My contract is not up until 11/11. I seriously want a Blackberry ASAP but I can only get one if: 1. I purchase a new one for 360. or 2. I purchase a certified pre-owned for 140. Initially I was going to go with the pre-owned since I was told they really are like new, but now I am leaning towards the brand new one. Verizon told me that there is a great chance the phone I will get will be one that someone returned within the 30 day window and just did not like it. It will be like new but they can't sell it as new because someone previously owned it. Then I was told that there was a great chance it would be one of these, but they could not guarantee me that it was one that was returned and NOT one that was returned due to issues with the phone. So now I am thinking of actually paying 360 for a brand new 8530.

Would I be ridiculous if I did so?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-10-10 11:45 AM
    Crazy? No. But a CPO phone has the same warranty and can be returned within 30 days. So if you do not like it or find something wrong with it, you can return it and buy the new one. If the CPO phone is good, then you save 220 bucks and have a new Blackberry.
    07-10-10 11:54 AM
    07-10-10 12:00 PM
    Beyond crazy.
    07-10-10 12:06 PM
    Well its definitely going to be up to you but I used the CPO program to get my daughter a multimedia phone that she wanted and after seeing what they sent me I am happy about the money I saved. The phone was perfect!
    07-10-10 12:15 PM
    how does the CPO program work?
    07-10-10 02:03 PM
    how does the CPO program work?
    you purchase a certified pre-owned (CPO) phone through your carrier at a much cheaper price than the full retail price. Most of the time you get a phone that was returned within the 30 day window, meaning someone did not like it so they sent it back. It is like a new phone, but they can't sell it as new because someone used it for 2 or 3 weeks. There is a chance, though, that you can receive a phone that someone returned due to issues with it, which is the part that is making me decide if I should take the chance or just purchase a brand new one for the full retail price. A CPO phone has the warranty just like a new phone, but who wants to go through the hassle of possibly having to send it back and get a new one?

07-10-10 02:10 PM
    Does the CPO count as an upgrade and reset your contract? Is there a link to the website with this information?
    07-10-10 02:12 PM
    Does the CPO count as an upgrade and reset your contract? Is there a link to the website with this information?
    It does not upgrade or extend your contract. There is nothing online about it because you can only order in the store or by phone.

07-10-10 02:15 PM
    It does not upgrade or extend your contract. There is nothing online about it because you can only order in the store or by phone.

oh wait i lied. I did a search on verizon's website and here is a link:

http://support.vzw.com/information/cpo_replacement.html

07-10-10 02:17 PM
    Thanks..is there any pricing information or would we have to call in to find that out?
    07-10-10 04:14 PM
    Thanks..is there any pricing information or would we have to call in to find that out?
    you need to call in to find that out. i know that the CPO curve is $140. i think i might just et it brand new for $360 though.

07-10-10 04:16 PM
    Insured phones not eligible? Reading the page of that link on the Verizon support page, it says that you can participate in the CPO program if you don't have Equipment Coverage, Wireless Phone Protection, or an Extended Warranty. I guess this program is just for people who lost or messed up their phone, but didn't have it insured, so they can buy a discounted replacement phone. Am I correct with that intrepretation?
    07-10-10 05:09 PM
    Yes, you are. But people who want to switch phones and are not eligible for an upgrade can also purchase a CPO phone.

07-10-10 05:10 PM
    So after all the fussing I go to Verizon and was told that I actually do not qualify for a CPO phone. Every VZW representative tells me something different. Apparently my only option is to buy at full retail price. Also, while I was there, I checked out the Bold and I actually like the keypad on the Bold better than the Curve. The Bold is 510 and the Curve is 360. So I left with no new phone and now I do not know what to do....

Last edited by linds0390; 07-11-10 at 03:18 PM.
    07-11-10 03:16 PM
    So after all the fussing I go to Verizon and was told that I actually do not qualify for a CPO phone. Every VZW representative tells me something different. Apparently my only option is to buy at full retail price. Also, while I was there, I checked out the Bold and I actually like the keypad on the Bold better than the Curve. The Bold is 510 and the Curve is 360. So I left with no new phone and now I do not know what to do....

What was their reason for you not qualifying for a cpo phone?
    07-11-10 03:57 PM
    What was their reason for you not qualifying for a cpo phone?
    This representative told me that CPO is for people who's phones are lost or broken, not people who just want to simply switch devices. A representative at the VZW in my mall told me that anyone could purchase one. I am not sure who is right, since I am being told different things. Nor can I decide if I want to go with the curve or the bold. I was also informed today that my contract is up in 2012, not 2011, so in my opinion, full retail price won't be too bad if I will be using the phone for 2 years.

07-11-10 04:20 PM
    The rep "in your mall" was mistaken.

It's very easy to determine when your contract it up. Just log on to your My Verizon site and look there.
    07-11-10 04:50 PM
    This representative told me that CPO is for people who's phones are lost or broken, not people who just want to simply switch devices. A representative at the VZW in my mall told me that anyone could purchase one. I am not sure who is right, since I am being told different things. Nor can I decide if I want to go with the curve or the bold. I was also informed today that my contract is up in 2012, not 2011, so in my opinion, full retail price won't be too bad if I will be using the phone for 2 years.

Person in the mall is a reseller of Verizon, not technically a member of the Verizon wireless staff. What they told you is irrelevant. Thats like someone at Walmart telling you that Jewel Osco has carrots on sale and then when they arent you try to use the argument that someone at a totally different store told you so.

It technically is for people who lost or totally broke their phone. Its a "last option" for people that opted not to get insurance and arent eligible to upgrade.

p.s. Im a corporate Verizon rep, i am(so are the rest of corporate retail employees) well versed on the policies.
    07-11-10 04:54 PM
    Person in the mall is a reseller of Verizon, not technically a member of the Verizon wireless staff. What they told you is irrelevant. Thats like someone at Walmart telling you that Jewel Osco has carrots on sale and then when they arent you try to use the argument that someone at a totally different store told you so.

It technically is for people who lost or totally broke their phone. Its a "last option" for people that opted not to get insurance and arent eligible to upgrade.

p.s. Im a corporate Verizon rep, i am(so are the rest of corporate retail employees) well versed on the policies.
    thank you so much so since I am going to go with the full retail price since I do not want to have my enV touch for the next two years, would you recommend me the bold or the curve? I would only be using it for social networking (facebook & twitter), email, texting, and taking pictures. I do not put music on my phone. I am not a business person and I do not travel often.

07-11-10 05:00 PM
    Curve doesn't have a flash. Bold has wifi. Go with Bold.

07-11-10 05:12 PM
    Curve doesn't have a flash. Bold has wifi. Go with Bold.

the verizon curve 8530 has wifi. you are correct on the flash though.

07-11-10 05:27 PM
    I would go with the Bold. We see the curve come back with issues and even my manager had it for less than 30 days and exchanged it because it froze a lot. It is no where near as good as the 8330 Curve was.
    07-11-10 05:48 PM
    Yes, you are. But people who want to switch phones and are not eligible for an upgrade can also purchase a CPO phone.

This is incorrect. You can only get a CPO if device is lost, stolen or damaged and don't have insurance on the line.
    07-11-10 10:51 PM
    This is incorrect. You can only get a CPO if device is lost, stolen or damaged and don't have insurance on the line.
    While I'm sure you can't just call up and buy a CPO Incredible, I added a line a few weeks ago to get the Incredible. The new line was for my daughter and she inherited my 9550. It was too much phone for her and she wanted the ENV 3. Called Verizon to explain the situation. Purchased the phone and it arrives Tuesday. They asked me why I wanted to get her a different phone and I told them she is only 15 and she said herself that it was just too much for her, she just wants to be able to text. They ask what line you are purchasing it for so they expect it to be activated on that line.
    Last edited by gmz73; 07-12-10 at 06:32 AM.
    07-12-10 04:10 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD