Ok, I'll be doing some vacationing coming up soon. Some of the places I'll be staying might not have internet <gasp>. Is tethering my BB 8330 a bad idea (slow?), or should I get an air card? I've heard mixed feedback on the air cards, some say they are not very good and some say they work great. Can I get one for a short term, such as a month etc? This is VZW of course...

Thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-03-09 11:35 AM
    tethering is convenient and cheap, but you have one device now responsible for two things: being your phone and being your internet. it can't do both at the same time.

however an aircard is a dedicated device, will ONLY be your internet, and won't interfere with your phone. it's more expensive.

speed will be higher on the aircard with the device you have

it all depends on how much you're gonna need the internet. if you need a lot of internet use, then get the aircard. if you only need it for occasional use, tethering will be cool.

also WHAT you're going to use the internet for is a big factor, i'll let you explain and i'll respond.
    06-03-09 11:54 AM
    your best bet is to tether because otherwise you have to sign up for at minimum a 1 year contract on a mobile broadband plan. with the tethering you can pay for a month of it and then cancel it.
    06-03-09 11:54 AM
    Thanks, that's what I needed to know! Just need to be able to check some ebay auctions etc.

06-03-09 12:05 PM
    I've been told [trained] that it doesn't matter as long as the phone/card is Rev. A Capable there is no speed difference.
    06-03-09 04:11 PM
    curve uses Rev. 0 for tethering...but uses Rev. A for browser/device data.

it should anyway...
    06-03-09 04:27 PM

it should anyway...
    The 8330 only has a Rev. 0 capable radio so it's Rev. 0 for both tethering and browser/device data.

@boostedgta: Depending on how much data you plan on using, make sure you add the tethering option at the first day of your billing cycle or call CS and have them backdate the option to the 1st day so that you'll get your full 5gb allowance.

Otherwise it will be prorated.
    06-03-09 04:52 PM

it should anyway...
    The curve isn't Rev. A capable.
    06-03-09 07:34 PM
    @boostedgta: Depending on how much data you plan on using, make sure you add the tethering option at the first day of your billing cycle or call CS and have them backdate the option to the 1st day so that you'll get your full 5gb allowance.

Otherwise it will be prorated.
    Sorry for the newbie question, but can you explain that? What does the 5GB allowance mean?
    06-03-09 11:16 PM
    Sorry for the newbie question, but can you explain that? What does the 5GB allowance mean?
    It means that the data via tethering is capped at 5GB. If you go over it, then you will be charged by the MB.
    06-04-09 01:42 AM
    Teather

06-04-09 04:12 AM
    Even if I have unlimited data plan on the phone? And I have no idea how quickly 5GB would be reached...

06-04-09 07:57 AM
    your best bet is to tether because otherwise you have to sign up for at minimum a 1 year contract on a mobile broadband plan. with the tethering you can pay for a month of it and then cancel it.
    Not that I'm advocating a buy and return here, but that's technically not true.

Yes, he needs to sign a contract. But he is covered under the Worry Free Guarantee for 30 days with the mobile broadband access as well.

You can sign a contract, try it out for up to 30 days, and if you don't like it, return it and the only thing you should be charged for is your usage. If you like it, keep it.

That being said... If I were you, I'd probably just go w/ tethering. True, you can't answer a call while online (a CDMA limitation), but if you're only going on to check some ebay auctions, then you should be fine.

Doesn't Viigo have an Ebay auction feed?
    06-04-09 08:12 AM
    If you get your aircard at Best Buy I know you have 30 days to change your mind. You can return the air card and cancel the contract without paying an ETF. You would only pay a prorated amt for the time you had it. You would not, however, be reimbursed any activation fee you paid. I believe all the major carriers have some mechanism for you to track how many MB you have used so you can monitor that easily. Unless you are downloading lots of movies or streaming vids you should be ok. If you are on vacay you shouldn't be spending all your time on the internet anyway! I don't recommend tethering coz your phone is tied up the whole time you are on the internet. Besides I think tethering is painfully slow internet. That's all I know.

06-04-09 08:17 AM
    Ok, so does anyone know how much the air card costs per month? How about tethering?

06-04-09 09:19 AM
    Ok, so does anyone know how much the air card costs per month? How about tethering?

Both will total $60 a month.

BB Tether: $30 BB BIS plan + $30 Tethering option.
    Air Card: $60 air card plan.
    06-04-09 12:01 PM
    Even if I have unlimited data plan on the phone? And I have no idea how quickly 5GB would be reached...

You data plan is unlimited only for data that originates from the BB itself. When tethering to a laptop it is capped at 5gb.

If you're gonna just be using it to check on your ebay auctions, then you'll be fine. I was at my parents last Christmas and I streamed about 10 videos from hulu, downloaded 300mb files, and did heavy web surfing and came in right around 5GB. Although that allotment was done in the 10 days I was there visiting, lol.
    06-04-09 12:05 PM
    Hold on gang - if you buy your aircard @ FRP, a contract isn't needed, is it? Some of ours are activated & deactivated as needed.

Or am I just a special case?

06-04-09 03:02 PM
    Month to month is fine if you buy at frp.

06-04-09 03:41 PM
    Get the new Aircard.
    06-04-09 03:52 PM

An air card is $59.99 a month for the 5GB cap
    or you can get a 30MB cap for $39.99 ( I think)

If you are on the $29.99 BIS plan, then your tethering would be $30.00

Hold on gang - if you buy your aircard @ FRP, a contract isn't needed, is it? Some of ours are activated & deactivated as needed.

Or am I just a special case?

I did not even think about buying Full retail and going month to month.
    06-06-09 04:36 PM
    FRP is month to month, no contract. You also have the option to buy an aircard with a contract then when you're not using it change it to an old phone that you have and pay the $9.99/month as a secondary line.. then when you need the card change it back.
    06-06-09 04:56 PM
    FRP is month to month, no contract. You also have the option to buy an aircard with a contract then when you're not using it change it to an old phone that you have and pay the $9.99/month as a secondary line.. then when you need the card change it back.
    I wish I could do that. When I got my aircard, I already had 5 phones, so this went on a new account.
    06-07-09 12:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD