10-15-08 06:06 PM
103 ... 2345
tools
    After being a verizon customer for almost 10 years it is hard for me to believe that they can mandate you to add an addition plan to your voice plan if you have a blackberry ... so i decided to call verizon and ask the question and after an hour coversation with technical support, customer service and sales... and getting mixed answers from different reps as some reps stated I was correct and you dont need one, and others said you do need a plan... I finally asked to speak with a manager and was able to speak with the Sales manager in the FL Call Center and I must appologize Gbreeze and Vatotheo you are both correct .... prior to my BB I have always had PDA's & Smartphones and have never been mandated to have a data plan (although i always had one) but after the long explanation I was given it seems to my uinderstanding that the blackberrys that are made for verizon run on their own network and do not share the same satelites as all the other PDA and Smart phones that verizon offers which is why they mandate to have the BIS,BES or Global berry plan... I was also told that this is only with verizon... so with other carriers you can use a blackberry simply as a phone...so ya I was wrong and have confirmed, that with verizon it truly is mandatory to have a Blackberry plan... I guess you learn somthing new everyday...
    06-03-08 09:19 PM
    No prob real esate. We all learn. I just knew I had the inside scoop because I worked there and even as a employee I tried to activate my own blackberry w/o a data plan and I couldn't even do it!
    06-03-08 09:28 PM
    Ya see now i understand after the long berry class the IT and Sales manager gave me... i was never aware that the blackberry verizon sells runs on its own satelite and network...which is kinda Kool IMO but it was just hard for me to beleive that a company could mandate a add on to your bill i mean it honestly just didnt make sense to me that if i wanted to use my berry as a everyday phone i couldnt and i guess that truly is the case...
    06-03-08 09:43 PM
    It is kind of funny that we always see these discussions about berries without data plans. It almost makes att/apples choice to make "iphone" plans that always include data seem logical. No whining about paying for it, just "here are the plans you can choose from", deal with it!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-03-08 09:58 PM
    After being a verizon customer for almost 10 years it is hard for me to believe I guess you learn somthing new everyday...
    You are nothing if not thorough REPro! It is nice to hear the explanation as to WHY Verizon has mandatory data plans!!

Thanks for your diligence!!
    Paige
    06-03-08 10:55 PM
    You are nothing if not thorough REPro! It is nice to hear the explanation as to WHY Verizon has mandatory data plans!!

Thanks for your diligence!!
    Paige
    NO Problem...its my pleasure.. and I learned somthing new... im just the kinda person that if I feel that I may be wrong about somthing I will spend the time necessary to find out why im wrong and more importantly the correct answer and reasoning behind it...in this case it just didnt make sense to me about how a company can mandate somthing that is an add on... but i guess i learned why so i fig id share... ( and appologize to those whom i doubted and were indeed correct)
    06-03-08 11:02 PM
    Ditto on the 29.00 plan. When I purchased my 8830 last year the rep was straight in telling me that in order to get the rebate, I had to take the 44.99 plan for one month then I could back down to the 29.99 unlimited email and web(called the Blackberry provision plan on my billing statement. My wife just got a BB and they initially signed her up for the 44.99 plan and pleaded ignorance when I asked them to back it down to the 29.99 plan. After some button pushing on their computer screen we got, "oh, there it is...no problem". It is a commission thing so stay firm because 29.99 unlimited does exist.

06-03-08 11:33 PM
    People who nickel and dime the data plan should either get a regular phone or switch to T-mo and wi-fi. Its like worrying about fuel cost for an exotic car. If you have to ask, you can't afforf it.

06-03-08 11:45 PM
    Ditto on the 29.00 plan. When I purchased my 8830 last year the rep was straight in telling me that in order to get the rebate, I had to take the 44.99 plan for one month then I could back down to the 29.99 unlimited email and web(called the Blackberry provision plan on my billing statement. My wife just got a BB and they initially signed her up for the 44.99 plan and pleaded ignorance when I asked them to back it down to the 29.99 plan. After some button pushing on their computer screen we got, "oh, there it is...no problem". It is a commission thing so stay firm because 29.99 unlimited does exist.

how long did you have to wait to switch to the 29.99 plan? It seems like if you just refused to get the phone or walked out, the guy selling you the phone would have just hooked you up with the 29.99 plan. commission based retailers always try to make the bigger buck
    06-04-08 08:06 PM
    I pay 29/month for unlimited data with the blackberry on Verizon
    Me 2, or else all the web browsing I do and E-mail I would be f'd
    06-04-08 09:21 PM
    i kid you not, i JUST got the curve, and there was no way around it. it was 24.99 for the 10 or 29.99 for unlimited. . . sooo i got the 29.99. . thtas what shows up. . sooo someone must be trying to f- u over or soemthing
    06-04-08 09:43 PM
    I pay 29.99 for unlimited which I think is a good deal.
    06-06-08 06:56 PM
    BBs are sexii and pretty light weight. Whether you are getting it with or without a data plan, I see a point. To use it to it's full extent, the data plan is recommended.

QWERTY device that's not fat like a Palm and/or HTC device. The alarm is loud and the camera is awesome. It's better than any smart phone out there with a bright flash/light IMO.
    Last edited by Jayden0606; 06-06-08 at 07:38 PM.
    06-06-08 07:33 PM
    It is kind of funny that we always see these discussions about berries without data plans. It almost makes att/apples choice to make "iphone" plans that always include data seem logical. No whining about paying for it, just "here are the plans you can choose from", deal with it!

Well the reason the iPhone is required to have data is because the iPhone is constantly using data even if you aren't using it.

Visual VM = Data
    Email = Data
    Youtube = Data
    Weather = Data
    Safari = Data
    Maps = Data
    Stocks = Data

If you aren't using those apps, might as well get a Touch.
    06-06-08 07:45 PM
    29.99 plus my employers discount which drops it to like 19.99. but really if your looking at buying a BB you should try the unlimited data. my wife didnt like it at first but **** its only money and we'd blow it on something else anyways.
    06-08-08 02:32 AM
    29.99 plus my employers discount which drops it to like 19.99. but really if your looking at buying a BB you should try the unlimited data. my wife didnt like it at first but **** its only money and we'd blow it on something else anyways.
    Just curious if you get a discount on the BB-Data-Plan? I get a discount on the rest of my account but it is NOT applied to the BB data. I pay the full $29.00/monthly
    06-08-08 10:10 AM
    Sorry for the confusion my bill only increased by that amount when i switched, I found out they offered the discount the same time I was getting my data service on my bill. so thats why i listed it that way. Sorry Guys and Gals my mistake
    06-08-08 10:47 AM
    I think I should share my current situation with everyone. I just got a BB Curve 8330 with the "29.99"/month unlimited data plan. BUT I'm only paying something like 24 or 25 per month because of a corporate discount. Now, my dad works for Cargill Inc. and he's the main account holder (family share plan). Now if I remember correctly, he did not have to prove he worked for Cargill, he just told the rep that he did and they applied the appropriate discounts (18% of voice, 20% off data, 20% off accessories). So maybe someone could try this theory and see if you can get it to work?
    10-05-08 03:49 PM
    One discounts only appy to the primary account. Once he verified the account and the account may have a tie to the company.

BTW this is stated sounds like you might be trying to cheat the system to save money you are not entitled to. Just a thought.

There is a site by VZW that you can go to input your email adress and it will tell you if you qualify for a discount. REMEMBER: this applies only to primary phone on the account.

Also some companies do require proof of employment.

http://forums.crackberry.com/e?link=...token=SQ2Ob2xO
    Last edited by lastraid; 10-05-08 at 04:15 PM.
    10-05-08 04:11 PM
    One discounts only appy to the primary account. Once he verified the account and the account may have a tie to the company.

BTW this is stated sounds like you might be trying to cheat the system to save money you are not entitled to. Just a thought.

There is a site by VZW that you can go to input your email adress and it will tell you if you qualify for a discount. REMEMBER: this applies only to primary phone on the account.

Also some companies do require proof of employment.

http://forums.crackberry.com/e?link=...token=RxN1eFD_
    The discount you use to get when purchasing a blackberry or other advance device if you decided to get the unlimited data plan at $44.99 is no longer. It use to be you could get an additional $100 off of the equipment if you went with the unlimited data plan for your pda or blackberry (advance device credit). Now you get a standard $70 rebate via mail in if purchasing in store or threw customer service or telesales or instant if ordering online via vzw.com. The corp data plan for BES is $44.99 for unlimited and the unlimited email and web plan for non corp BIS is $29.99.
    10-05-08 08:37 PM
    The discount you use to get when purchasing a blackberry or other advance device if you decided to get the unlimited data plan at $44.99 is no longer. It use to be you could get an additional $100 off of the equipment if you went with the unlimited data plan for your pda or blackberry (advance device credit). Now you get a standard $70 rebate via mail in if purchasing in store or threw customer service or telesales or instant if ordering online via vzw.com. The corp data plan for BES is $44.99 for unlimited and the unlimited email and web plan for non corp BIS is $29.99.
    This has nothing to do with NE2 or Advanced device conerns . THis hads to do with wether or not you qualify for access, feature, or accessory discounts from corporate agreements.
    10-05-08 09:17 PM
    I like how this topic was started out by an author who doesn't want to pay for something. So, he titles this thread with the "Worst Of Blackberry on Verizon..... " So, if a person who doesn't want to pay for some product/service/thing, it is titled as "Worse of something..."

I want to buy New 2009 Honda Accord EX v6 for $15,000. But it actually cost $29,000. "Worst of Honda in USA."

I want to buy a blackberry battery for $10 but it cost $20 on this website. "Worst of Internet Commerce..."

I don't know why people would respond to this type of question in the first place. The whole premise is wrong and question itself is dumb.

Blackberry is a luxury item. If a person doesn't want to pay for it then one can always get the cricket or metro mobile phones. Is the author asking for a sub prime blackberry phone service?

Plenty of people responded to the author with some discount that some corporate buyers qualify. I don't know any corporate discount that will meet his desires. I mean, Why can't I buy a brand new fully-optioned 2009 Audi A8 for $30,000?

Can someone tell me how to get this type of the deal? If not.. is this the "Worst of Audi in USA.....?"
    Last edited by plasticberry; 10-06-08 at 01:04 AM.
    10-06-08 01:02 AM
    My unlimited data plan is $29.99 also. Do you have a small business account or something?
    10-12-08 12:05 PM
    Just to clarify , If you want a bb from verizon you will have to get a data plan there is no way around it. belive me I work in the technical department there is not an option for no data plan. The only phones you will not need to have 1 on will be the 6900,mot q,palm centro and the 5800, sorry to make people mad but verizon has it on lock.
    10-13-08 04:42 PM

This was the message I was referring to in my reply. Has everything to do with this comment.
    10-13-08 10:14 PM
103 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD