JiveTalk uses DATA!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-13-08 10:58 PM
    JiveTalk uses DATA!!!

OK see thats what i thought but im sooo confused cause i just got off the phone with verizon after about an hour conversation and there telling me that when im using Mobile IM or aim its billed as texting....
    05-13-08 11:21 PM
    I can't change my email signature on replies from my BB. It all says "sent from my blackberry on Verizon Wireless" or something like that. I like it to say, " " or something like that....
    05-13-08 11:37 PM
    OK see thats what i thought but im sooo confused cause i just got off the phone with verizon after about an hour conversation and there telling me that when im using Mobile IM or aim its billed as texting....
    Thats what Verizon tells you because they dont know what Jivetalk is. I had the same problem with them. If you were using the regular AIM client that doesnt download onto the curve then it would be billed as texting.
    05-13-08 11:45 PM
    I have the 29.99 plan but its not unlimited...its 10mb. how is everyone gettin a 29.99 plan for unlimited?
    05-13-08 11:46 PM
    RE Pro,

They are clueless! I can only guess why they would tell you that...

1. Normal (non-smart) phones use texting and not data for mobile IM.

2. There are some IM applications that act as a front end for texting, I *believe* that the AIM tool offered by AOL is that way. (please, someone correct me if I'm wrong!)

I have been using JiveTalk on a Verizon Pearl since February and can assure you that I am not using text messaging.

05-13-08 11:47 PM
    In Verizon's defense, JiveTalk is a third-party application. We may have our expectations skewed when we ask them to give us information on something they do not support or sell!

05-13-08 11:50 PM
    Bellaberry, the $25 plan is 10Meg, the $29.99 plan is unlimited, you were either told wrong, or it was coded wrong when they put you on it.

05-13-08 11:53 PM
    I have the 29.99 plan but its not unlimited...its 10mb. how is everyone gettin a 29.99 plan for unlimited?
    There are different plans its 29.99 for unlimited BIS data and its 44.99 or something for unlimited BES datan plan so if ur on a BES server you cant get the 29.99 plan and don't let the person at the store confuse it with the PDA data plan which is also 44.99. Make sure it's the Blackberry one for BIS users its only 29.99
    05-13-08 11:54 PM
    RE Pro,

They are clueless! I can only guess why they would tell you that...

1. Normal (non-smart) phones use texting and not data for mobile IM.

2. There are some IM applications that act as a front end for texting, I *believe* that the AIM tool offered by AOL is that way. (please, someone correct me if I'm wrong!)

I have been using JiveTalk on a Verizon Pearl since February and can assure you that I am not using text messaging.

Thanks for the info pashan... and i agree it is hard for verizon to give accurate advice when it pertains to 3rd party apps but i was just curious as im new to the BB lifestyle and def dont wanna receive a 500.00 text bill...
    05-13-08 11:57 PM
    Bella Berry you can always refer the verizon representative to the Verizon Wireless BlackBerry Email and Web $29.99 feature code: 73618 if they act like they dont know what your talking about...
    05-14-08 12:00 AM
    Thanks for the info pashan... new to the BB lifestyle and def dont wanna receive a 500.00 text bill...
    You're welcome!! I would have a heart attack if my bill came in like that too!! (Actually it did happen to me: My 16 year old daughter went over her alloted text messages because she was using AIM on her phone and didn't realize that it used text messaging on the back end. She narrowly escaped with her life and had to pay it back to me over a few months' time!!)

BTW, I love that you are new, yet recognize that BlackBerry is a "lifestyle" and not just "a phone". Awesome!!
    05-14-08 12:37 AM
    I pay 29/month for unlimited data with the blackberry on Verizon
    unlimited $29 me too
    05-14-08 08:43 AM
    You have to have a data plan on VZW. You cannot call in and cancel it. Their systems do not let them remove the feature as long as a blackberry is active on the account. You can do a pay as you go- kb with all of their other pda window based phones, but not the blackberry. Their system won't let them do it(at least on a store level).

But just like others are saying, whats the point in having a BB if you aren't going to use the data?
    05-16-08 01:36 PM
    hey gzu36c what are you reffering to? "HEY VZW- FREE WIFI AND BLUETOOTH"??
    05-16-08 02:15 PM
    I want them to give our BB the wifi capability everybody else has and to open up the bluetooth to support all profiles and not block the OBEX.
    05-16-08 02:19 PM
    Ah ok! I mis-read it I thought you meant they already had free wifi and bluetooth I was about to say WTF when did this happen??? lol But ya AMEN brotha I agree 100000% my car has all these features that I cant use cause of the blocked bluetooth
    05-16-08 02:41 PM
    With the BIS $29.99 plan, will that work with Pop email or an exchange server?
    06-02-08 08:46 PM
    With the BIS $29.99 plan, will that work with Pop email or an exchange server?
    Blackberry's BIS will support Pop3 accounts as well as Outlook Web Access (OWA) accounts as well.

Email accounts on exchange servers can be set up as both pop or OWA accounts, but that is up to the server admin.
    06-02-08 08:49 PM
    I am so confused!! I get a 22% access discount through work then a 20% "feature" discount(whatever that is)...and i pay 44.99 a month extra on top of my family plan for my BB. I just got it last month, and when i called, they only offered me the 24.99 limited plan or the 44.99 unlimited plan which was "highly" suggested. I asked how their prices were so high and not comparable to tmobile etc, and the lady said thats the only 2 plans they offer. I called again tonight after reading this post and still saying there is no other plan.

Now what? I have no idea how i have to pay 44.99 and everyone else pays 29...i cancelled my sirius to get my BB *im a poor college student lol* and if i did pay 29 a mo. i could get my radio back!
    I work at vzw and you CAN get the $29.99. If you want to PM me on here for more details... I can help you out
    06-03-08 04:15 AM
    I'd go to different VZW stores and see what they can do for you. I have BIS and pay 29 bucks, but that was after 3 months of paying 45 bucks for their BES plan. I found out about the difference by being nosey at the VZW counter at circuit city. Also, see what discounts you can get, if the salesman is cool, they'll find something to give you 5 to 15% off. Good luck!

06-03-08 04:23 AM
    You are all seriously misinformed. YOU CAN NOT ACITVATE A BLACKBERRY WITHOUT A DATA PLAN. It will not work or activate on vzw. I know this for a fact because I use to work for them. There is no pay as you go option for those devices. Not only that, but verizon has an agreement with blackberry and that is the reason its is required to have the data plan. Has nothing to do with "reps wanting to make big commissions."
    06-03-08 09:57 AM
    You are all seriously misinformed. YOU CAN NOT ACITVATE A BLACKBERRY WITHOUT A DATA PLAN. It will not work or activate on vzw. I know this for a fact because I use to work for them. There is no pay as you go option for those devices. Not only that, but verizon has an agreement with blackberry and that is the reason its is required to have the data plan. Has nothing to do with "reps wanting to make big commissions."
    No my friend either you are mis-informed or the policy is no longer in effect because i got my berry about a month ago and i went a week before I DECIDED (not vzw) to activate a data plan on my phone... also when i got the phone and extended my contract i looked and read what i was signing ( as contracts are part of my daily work routine) and there was NOTHING about adding a data plan to my acct so therefore if they added a data plan to my acct without my signature to authorize the change and or activation then they are creating a Fraudulent and Illegal charge... a phone is a phone and they CANNOT obligate you to get an Additional add on service just because the phone is capable of other features...Many cars have XM/Sirius Radio but they dont require you to activate it in order to buy the car...Many houses come with alarm system... that doesnt mean you must activate it in order to buy the home... again these Are add-ons simply added benefits to get you to purchase the product...in our case a blackberry.
    Last edited by RealEstatePro; 06-03-08 at 11:22 AM.
    06-03-08 11:17 AM
    No my friend either you are mis-informed or the policy is no longer in effect because i got my berry about a month ago and i went a week before I DECIDED (not vzw) to activate a data plan on my phone... also when i got the phone and extended my contract i looked and read what i was signing ( as contracts are part of my daily work routine) and there was NOTHING about adding a data plan to my acct so therefore if they added a data plan to my acct without my signature to authorize the change and or activation then they are creating a Fraudulent and Illegal charge... a phone is a phone and they CANNOT obligate you to get an Additional add on service just because the phone is capable of other features...Many cars have XM/Sirius Radio but they dont require you to activate it in order to buy the car...Many houses come with alarm system... that doesnt mean you must activate it in order to buy the home... again these Are add-ons simply added benefits to get you to purchase the product...in our case a blackberry.
    The problem with your analogy is that you're not talking about THIS situation.

Verizon and RIM have an agreement that requires a data plan on every blackberry, period. There is no amount of "well this comes with this and blah blah blah" that is going to make this any less true.
    06-03-08 05:31 PM
    Exactly. As I stated with VZW (Verizon Wireless) I am not talking about any other wireless carrier. THIS WILL NOT WORK ON VZW. Trust me I use to work there. As far as other carriers go, I do not know. Sorry real estate pro, but you are wrong.
    06-03-08 07:25 PM
103 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD