I keep seeing people saying that Verizon Blocks the GPS of there BB phones
    How ever i have had a 8830 from them without there gps software or anything just useing blackberry maps for GPS it works its a bit spotty at times but it works and also has a local search so it also replaced 411 for me and i can get pretty accurate readings sometimes it tells me i just drove into a lake but it fixes it self pretty fast but as i was saying i have verizon with a phone and unlimited data plan (that's it), and a blackberry 8830 however most gps apps wont work Google Maps works but it puts me in a lake sometimes too, and also tells me i live in the wrong town for some reason... but yea so idk maybe my phone is just ******** in a good way =] oh and it also says im connected to like 6 - 7 Satellites i thought that was a bit odd. but w.e.
    10-29-09 05:33 PM
    I believe that the issue is that they block it to third party apps, at least on some of the devices.
    10-29-09 08:55 PM
    8830 doesn't have full gps. It needs network and verizon allows bbm on BB 4.5 and newer to access the network. The newer smartphones have full gps and don't need the network.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-29-09 09:35 PM
    Well, you need the network if you want maps...
    10-29-09 11:27 PM
    Not if you have a TP2, Imagio, Storm1/2, Tour, Omnia, etc.

As I've mentioned many times before - I can take an 8830 or 8330 deep into Canada & watch the GPS start working. I also have an old 8330 that has full GPS - it will map anywhere.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-30-09 12:01 AM
    It'll give you the coordinates, but if you want to see the location on a map, like in BBMaps or Google Maps, you need data, don't you?
    10-30-09 12:09 AM
    You need some form of mapping software, but outside of the VZW network (or domestic roaming network), Google Maps, Garmin & Nav4All miraculously start working.

It all has to do with whether or not a carrier allows open access to the proprietary areas of their network. VZW doesn't, because it would jeopardize customer privacy. They will allow access if a third-party app promises to not use that information for their own profit, won't share it & will submit their app for testing to make sure of all of this.

The devices I listed above don't need a network to run their GPS chips - they will run off satellites without help.
    10-30-09 12:14 AM
    Here's a good thread on the subject - about halfway down, I posted a little essay that explains it.

Verizon & GPS Blocking
    10-30-09 12:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD