I am wondering if anyone can help me out. I am month to month with verizon and recently discovered wirefly.com, which gives great discounts as opposed to buying from a verizon store or online. Does anyone have any suggestions
    as what would be the benefit of buying from the store? And has anyone purchased from wirefly have any comments to help my next purchase.

I would love to get 8900 from tmobile on wirefly for 49.00 after rebate. Of course I am considering waiting for the niagra on verizon, instead of switching to tmobile, although where I live I have heard some good things about there customer service and good coverage.

decisions,decisions...

Thanks I love this site and all the great blackberry info can't stop searching...
    Happy Birthday !!!!
    02-25-09 09:21 AM
    all i know is that if i ever have any problems with my phone, verizon will switch it out within the first year (or so?). not sure if they'll do it if you got it from a 3rd party dealer (but they just might, you never know).
    02-25-09 11:48 AM
    As you saw, main difference would be the price. Other differences would be the warranty period. VZW would still honor a 1 year warranty as long as you could show proof of purchase that the phone was brand new. So keep the receipt. Vzw has a 30 day policy; if your phone is within 30 days and is defective they will give you a Brand New phone and new battery as long as there is no damage. If you buy from a 3rd party you will not qualify for this program. Also all returns will have to go through Wirefly if you decide you want a different device or are not happy with the device.
    02-25-09 12:02 PM
    As I understand it the contract requirements are a bit stricter too, like you might have to get a higher rate plan in order to qualify. For example to get a Storm for 99 you need to get a monthly plan of 59.95 or more in addition to the BIS or BES add on.
    02-25-09 12:06 PM
    Good call on the contract requirements, I forgot to mention that. Some of those sites only offer those deals to new customers and not existing customers. So I would just look into that as well.
    02-25-09 12:11 PM
    I have worked for VZW for some time now in customer service as well as other departments, and I honestly would recomend against it. I am not saying this as a loyal VZW employee, well because I am not I hate my job.. lol. I am just trying save a post later about how you got screwed in some way..

I find that what alot of these places will do is have an additional contract from your stadard 2 year contract.

If you have any more specific questions you are welcome to pin me at 3061E3D0.. I am happy to answer anything I can
    02-26-09 08:53 AM
    I've also heard some issues with secondary contracts with Wirefly. Here is a bit from the T&C page on wirefly.com

DEACTIVATING THIS PHONE OR DOWNGRADING FEATURES OR RATE PLAN MAY LEAD TO ADDITIONAL CHARGES
    Our goal is to provide you with the very best purchasing experience possible, including huge savings vs. buying in a retail store. Your phone purchase price was reduced by an Equipment Discount of $200 ($300 for PDA's/smart phones). By accepting this price reduction, you agreed to repay this discount if, during the 181 days after your new equipment is activated, you:
    Fail to pay your balance due to Verizon Wireless each month
    Disconnect this Verizon Wireless line of service
    Transfer this equipment to another Verizon Wireless line of service
    Change your Verizon Wireless service rate plan to a lower monthly service rate
    Deactivate the email/data feature if one was required at the point of purchase
    Transfer/port an existing phone number from another Verizon Wireless account if this is a new line of service
    Replace an existing account with Verizon Wireless with this account if this is a new line
    Return or exchange your phone and it is not in its original, new condition with no more than 30 minutes of usage
    If you break any of these contract provisions, except as a result of a documented service quality issue related to the carrier service, you authorize us to charge your credit card in repayment of the Equipment Discount.
    If you have any questions, please see our website for further details or call us at:
    888-843-2485
    02-26-09 11:09 AM
    Amazon Phones have a similar T&C
    02-26-09 12:23 PM
    Go through a third-party seller & you have a new set of hoops to jump through along with the carrier's TOS.

The seller gets a commission on what they sell you. The more they bundle in, the more they make. The more they make, the more they can subsidize your purchase.

Change their commission by changing plans & they will demand at least part of their subsidy back.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-26-09 12:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD