01-08-09 10:44 PM
33 12
tools
    what is the purpose of wifi on a cdma phone? i have a co-worker who has tmobile and he cant get a signal inside the work building so he uses wifi for that but i get full bars on alltel. i guess what im saying is if it is only good for letting you use your phone when you dont have service, i could care less about it. but, could someone shed some light on this for me. TIA
    Speed and, in some cases, another method of file transfers. There may also be the remote possibility that you could be in an area without CDMA (or on Sprint with their limited coverage area) but near a WiFi point (doubtful in N. America).

I agree with what I assume your stand is - no need for WiFi. The lack of it is not a carrier issue in most cases; instead being a device manufacturer issue. With the Curve & such, I believe it is a size thing - as mentioned before, Curves have either WiFi or GPS regardless of the technology. VZW and other CDMA carriers have offered WiFi capable devices for a long time but they cannot offer Blackberrys that RIM doesn't make.

I have in my desk an XV6800 that I long ago stopped using because of the touchscreen. I also cannot stand HTC devices. It had WiFi which worked well. I just never found a situation where I needed WiFi. .

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-06-09 03:13 PM
    thanks for the clarification.
    01-06-09 09:11 PM
    The Niagra coming out this Spring should have wifi on it.
    01-07-09 02:01 AM
    what is the purpose of wifi on a cdma phone? i have a co-worker who has tmobile and he cant get a signal inside the work building so he uses wifi for that but i get full bars on alltel. i guess what im saying is if it is only good for letting you use your phone when you dont have service, i could care less about it. but, could someone shed some light on this for me. TIA

#1 its a backup technology that ppl want cuz other services have it as well

#2 If u go overseas, ur CDMA network will not work or u will pay heafty roaming fees to use urs

#3 some areas in the US have spotty EVDO coverage and wifi just works faster in those circumstances
    01-07-09 09:41 AM
    #1 its a backup technology that ppl want cuz other services have it as well

#2 If u go overseas, ur CDMA network will not work or u will pay heafty roaming fees to use urs

#3 some areas in the US have spotty EVDO coverage and wifi just works faster in those circumstances
    i understand all of your points but you will still need to have a wifi signal that YOU can access. I know i have heard of some internet cafe's but lets face reality, most people can only get a wifi signal either at work or at home. For me,(just speaking personally) i will not pay for a cell phone that i cannot get coverage in my home, work on the other hand it just a fringe benefit. now if i can download files and pictures faster via wifi, im all for it but again it will only work for me when i can get on a unsecure wifi network (unless i have a secure networks passkey). Im all for having more capabilities but realistically im just saying wifi doesnt seem all that great when your out and about.
    01-07-09 09:49 AM
    I have an 8330 and I am pleased with the service and have an unlimited data plan, but feel like I'm missing out on Wi-Fi.

Will this ever be a possibility?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    there are plenty of verizon devices with wifi new and old. cdma radios are generally larger then gsm radios.. so its usually up to the manufacture (rim,palm,samsung...) not verizon whether or not they want to increase size, cost and or weight to their devices with wifi.
    01-08-09 12:02 PM
    It amazes me how many people are so misinformed as to what Verizon disables and what they don't. I guess I can't fault you because VZW has such a bad rap for it, but in the end all your speculation is false and actually spreading invalid info on the forum which only leads to more people believing the fud. Verizon didn't pay off RIM to disable WIFI.
    I remember when VZW had bluetooth OBEX disabled on almost everything. It was well know that VZW locked many features so customers would invest in the "get it now" services.

I love my vzw phones, but I also have been "reenableing" some fuctionality or making my own ringtones for years. I remember way back, I had the band Therion on my lg8100 and my freinds ( metallheads) were jealous.
    01-08-09 10:38 PM
    I remember when VZW had bluetooth OBEX disabled on almost everything. It was well know that VZW locked many features so customers would invest in the "get it now" services.
    I REMEMBER!!! THOSE R THE THINGS THAT URRRKKKK ME!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
    01-08-09 10:44 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD