01-08-09 10:44 PM
33 12
tools
    I have an 8330 and I am pleased with the service and have an unlimited data plan, but feel like I'm missing out on Wi-Fi.

Will this ever be a possibility?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-07-08 09:16 AM
    The 9xxx series devices all have WiFi...

So whenever those hit Verizon, yes!
    08-07-08 09:19 AM
    There are windows phones with wifi right now.

I guess it would be nice to have as an option but it drains your battery pretty fast.

08-07-08 09:23 AM
    I think this thread should be changed to... Will WIFI ever come to CDMA devices... because this is not a carrier thing, it's a RIM thing.
    08-07-08 09:27 AM
    I think this thread should be changed to... Will WIFI ever come to CDMA devices... because this is not a carrier thing, it's a RIM thing.
    Oh, so it's the fact that the phone is CDMA, not Verizon screwing us out of another great feature??

I don't feel so bad if all the other Curves are missing out too.
    08-07-08 10:04 AM
    Oh, so it's the fact that the phone is CDMA, not Verizon screwing us out of another great feature??

I don't feel so bad if all the other Curves are missing out too.
    If you did not know... the only current devices that support WiFi are the xx20 models!

That means all CDMA devices (any xx30 model) does not have WiFi. (Sprint, Alltel, VZW, Vodafone... etc etc)

I do not know if it is a matter of RIM screwing over CDMA users or what it is, but those are the facts!! ATT has the 8120 and 8820, but not the 8320.

TMobile has the most well-rounded WiFi selection and offers UMA as well. They have the WiFi Pearl (8120), Curve (8320) and 8820!
    08-07-08 10:07 AM
    JRSCCivic98: are you sure about this? I thought that Sprint or Nextel or one of the other carrrier's Curves had WIFI?
    08-07-08 10:07 AM
    JRSCCivic98: are you sure about this? I thought that Sprint or Nextel or one of the other carrrier's Curves had WIFI?
    Nextel is supposed to be releasing the Nextel iDEN Curve 8350, which will also support WiFi, but it is not available yet... and no clue when either!
    08-07-08 10:08 AM
    Jrs is right graves no cdma model has wi fi right now most have gps

08-07-08 10:09 AM
    Ahhhh, that makes sense.

So (other than Verizon paying RIM off to NOT include WIFI on the CDMA Curves) why doesn't RIM include it? Since it does for the GSM versions?
    08-07-08 10:12 AM
    Ahhhh, that makes sense.

So (other than Verizon paying RIM off to NOT include WIFI on the CDMA Curves) why doesn't RIM include it? Since it does for the GSM versions?
    Because there is a GPS receiver / transmitter in the xx30 devices!!

The xx20 devices have the WiFi radio in place of GPS. This all makes sense, and RIM is not out to screw anyone over.

The ATT Curve, for example, has GPS and no WiFi
    The TMobile Curve has WiFi, no GPS
    Any CDMA Curve has GPS and no WiFi
    08-07-08 10:14 AM
    Up until the 9000 releases no bb has had wi fi and gps I would say either rim didn't want to put both or didn't know how to do so lol

08-07-08 10:15 AM
    This is not true, my uncle has the XV6700 (I think thats the model number?) thru verizon which is obviously CDMA and it has built in WiFi and that phone is a couple years old already...Im sure its only a matter of time
    08-07-08 10:19 AM
    Are the newer blackberry's that are coming out not CDMA?
    08-07-08 10:21 AM
    This is not true, my uncle has the XV6700 (I think thats the model number?) thru verizon which is obviously CDMA and it has built in WiFi and that phone is a couple years old already...Im sure its only a matter of time
    We understand that this is available for other devices, but we are specifically talking about BlackBerries

The XV6700 is not a BlackBerry (Verizon XV6700 - Pocket PC Phone Reviews by Mobile Tech Review) and we know it is possible to have CDMA devices with WiFi. The question is regarding BlackBerries
    08-07-08 10:22 AM
    Are the newer blackberry's that are coming out not CDMA?
    huh?!?

Any new device that comes out for a CDMA carrier, including BlackBerries, need to be CDMA devices to work on the CDMA network!

The Thunder is a CDMA device...
    08-07-08 10:23 AM
    huh?!?

Any new device that comes out for a CDMA carrier, including BlackBerries, need to be CDMA devices to work on the CDMA network!

The Thunder is a CDMA device...
    OK, I misunderstood the concept of CDMA then.

And the rumor is the thunder gets Wi-Fi? Correct or was that the Bold that someone said was getting Wi-Fi?
    08-07-08 10:28 AM
    OK, I misunderstood the concept of CDMA then.

And the rumor is the thunder gets Wi-Fi? Correct or was that the Bold that someone said was getting Wi-Fi?
    If you read back in this thread... I said that all of the 9xxx series devices will be WiFi equipped. This should hold true, meaning that the Thunder, Bold and Javelin will all have WiFi.

The KickStart 8220 will also have WiFi
    08-07-08 10:50 AM
    It amazes me how many people are so misinformed as to what Verizon disables and what they don't. I guess I can't fault you because VZW has such a bad rap for it, but in the end all your speculation is false and actually spreading invalid info on the forum which only leads to more people believing the fud. Verizon didn't pay off RIM to disable WIFI.
    08-07-08 11:20 AM
    Verizon paid off LG to disable functionality, fortunately I hacked it to the point where I could use all the stuff that was there for people who used the phone with other providers. I don't blame Verizon for doing these things, they simply want to force people to use their paid services. No problem. But to deny they do it is pretty ignorant.
    08-07-08 12:09 PM
    Does anyone make a wifi receiver that you can connect to with bluetooth like the gps pucks

08-07-08 03:16 PM
    Does anyone make a wifi receiver that you can connect to with bluetooth like the gps pucks

Nope, sorry
    08-07-08 03:21 PM
    It amazes me how many people are so misinformed as to what Verizon disables and what they don't. I guess I can't fault you because VZW has such a bad rap for it, but in the end all your speculation is false and actually spreading invalid info on the forum which only leads to more people believing the fud. Verizon didn't pay off RIM to disable WIFI.
    My apologizes to you, that's why I asked, because I didn't know.

08-07-08 04:05 PM
    Nextel is supposed to be releasing the Nextel iDEN Curve 8350, which will also support WiFi, but it is not available yet... and no clue when either!
    Yes, the 8350i DOES have WiFi, BUT this is a Nextel (iDEN technology not CDMA).
    01-06-09 11:10 AM
    what is the purpose of wifi on a cdma phone? i have a co-worker who has tmobile and he cant get a signal inside the work building so he uses wifi for that but i get full bars on alltel. i guess what im saying is if it is only good for letting you use your phone when you dont have service, i could care less about it. but, could someone shed some light on this for me. TIA
    01-06-09 12:32 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD