01-20-10 06:14 PM
41 12
tools
    You should periodically check your usage at Cell Phones,Smartphones,Mobile Cell Phone Plans - Verizon Wireless, sign on then click on Data, OR from your device dial #3282 for a free text with your data usage.
    I checked the Verizon Wireless site; it only says "unlimited" under data usage...

How do you "dial #3282" from your BB??? Is it a phone call??? Email msg???
    01-17-10 06:20 PM
    I checked the Verizon Wireless site; it only says "unlimited" under data usage...

How do you "dial #3282" from your BB??? Is it a phone call??? Email msg???

If you actually look at it, it does say "unlimited" but it still says how much data you've used......
    01-17-10 06:42 PM
    Just stay under the 5GB cap and all will be good
    01-18-10 03:14 PM
    If you actually look at it, it does say "unlimited" but it still says how much data you've used......
    You are right! I did not pay attention to that little text underneath the "unlimited"...

I used 51MB of data in 28 days...plus two voice calls...and one text msg...
    Last edited by ferretface; 01-19-10 at 06:02 PM.
    01-18-10 06:15 PM
    This goes back to the other conversation we were having about tethering - if Verizon gets a cut from Handango, but if a customer uses the program and it causes a violation of Verizon's TOS... isn't that entrapment?

One would think that if an app causes a violation of a provider's TOS, the provider should remove the app from their stores and contact the developer to state that it is not supported.
    I'd take it further! If its on the BB appworld, I think the same applies.... which it is btw!
    01-19-10 11:27 AM
    I'd take it further! If its on the BB appworld, I think the same applies.... which it is btw!
    Think of it like this. If one has cable you rent the cable modem. Because you rent the cable modem does it give you the right to hack the modem to alter the configuration to get more bandwidth?
    01-19-10 11:35 AM
    Think of it like this. If one has cable you rent the cable modem. Because you rent the cable modem does it give you the right to hack the modem to alter the configuration to get more bandwidth?
    If you hack a cable modem to get more than you're paying for, you are stealing.

If you are paying for "unlimited" (5gig) data for your Blackberry, you should be able to use that data however you see fit. Now if you use more than you are paying for, then you should be held responsible. Using something you are paying for is not stealing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-19-10 09:47 PM

If you are paying for "unlimited" (5gig) data for your Blackberry, you should be able to use that data however you see fit. Now if you use more than you are paying for, then you should be held responsible. Using something you are paying for is not stealing.
    It will take an immensely longer time for you to use 5 gigs or more of data solely by using your Blackberry or any other smartphone than when you tether. It violates the TOS.
    01-19-10 09:58 PM

I think the way Verizon and other carriers who offer a separate tethering service are going to look at it is that you are paying for that 'unlimited' data on your Blackberry specifically. Not on a computer.

And since they ALSO offer a separate service to tether to a computer it would be considered 'theft of service' or whatever to use the Blackberry data to tether with a computer.

And to previous posts, I do agree there are definite issues with Handango offering Tether, if they report to Verizon. Having it on BB App World is a different story because I do believe there are carriers that allow a certain amount of tethering within the phone contract. (And please, anyone who knows more about that can correct me.)

To the OP, use it as you see fit. I'll repeat everyone else and just say that make sure you know what your carriers policies are, and keep an eye on your data usage. Unlimited isn't TRULY unlimited. They just assume that no one is going to go above 5gb.
    01-19-10 10:26 PM
    It will take an immensely longer time for you to use 5 gigs or more of data solely by using your Blackberry or any other smartphone than when you tether. It violates the TOS.
    While I agree it is possible to blast through the 5gig on a computer, if one is just using it as a back up to check email, do some light browsing, maybe read Crackberry...

Let's just say I use quite a bit more data listening to Pandora (for blackberry) than that takes. If you aren't using a tether connection to watch movies or stream music, you aren't "abusing" it.

As for the TOS bit, I already addressed my stance on it.

01-19-10 10:28 PM
    It's not 1.99 per MB, its closer to $15 per MB.

01-20-10 09:05 AM
    I thought they could bill you for whatever usage they end up finding if the tethering option ($30/BIS, $15/BES) wasn't activated, to the tune of $1.99/MB??
    Bluerskyes is right, actual data charges for overage is $15 per mb. It is only $1.99 for the simple phone pay per use data charge. If you go over while tethering and Verizon decides to bill you it will be at $15 per mb.
    01-20-10 09:44 AM
    How is it possible that Verizon can advertise an "unlimited plan" which actually has a 5gb cap? That just does not make any sense. Why would anyone tether a blackberry? I mean if you want to use the internet get a real phone like a droid, iphone, or nexus one where you do have to tether because they have browsers that actually work.....
    01-20-10 04:55 PM
    How is it possible that Verizon can advertise an "unlimited plan" which actually has a 5gb cap? That just does not make any sense. Why would anyone tether a blackberry? I mean if you want to use the internet get a real phone like a droid, iphone, or nexus one where you do have to tether because they have browsers that actually work.....
    Your post makes no sense. I'm surprise you don't understand why anyone would want to tether a smartphone, whether it be droid iphone, nexus or blackberry, it's because of the limitations of input and display size of a phone. Believe it or not the iphone is not appropriate for certain corporate/business applications.

Browsers have little to do with why one would want to tether.
    01-20-10 06:05 PM
    Because you are tethering a LAPTOP, not a Blackberry. You are using the Blackberry to connect the laptop to the internet when you can't access WIFI...like driving down the highway where there is plenty of 3G cell service but no WIFI. It's a beautiful thing.
    01-20-10 06:06 PM
    Tethering is different and apart from the "PRESUMED" cap.

There is NO cap. I posted in another thread the other day a quote from language in my bill saying UNLIMITED DATA. Now, I guess if you go way over that 5gig number over and over you might hear from Verizon who may suspect nefarious uses of your BB but if you prove you are just a busy BB-er, you are probably okay.

As noted in the just prior thread. with your laptop or desktop connected to the BB by tethering, you can use your BB's data connection to provide access to the internet through your BB. When I tried it the other day just for testing, I disconnected my computer's internet cable (network) and was able to still cruise the web with my computer which was hooked up to the BB. So picture a dive out on Route 66 without wifi but where you still get bb-data and you could hook to your laptop and browse for a less divey place!
    01-20-10 06:14 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD