01-20-10 06:14 PM
41 12
tools
    I know if you try and tether on your storm through vzw they charge u an extra fee, if I use the app tether will vzw charge me? Thanks in advance?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-11-10 12:18 AM
    no. had tetherberry for 3 months and it changed to tether.No charges from vzw still good
    01-11-10 12:28 AM
    Help, I just bought Tether from App World and cant seem to get it to work?

I downloaded the "PC Files" but nothing automatically starts up when I connected my Storm to my computer. Can someone please tell me (step-by-step) how to get Tether working.

Many, many thanks in advance.
    01-13-10 09:15 AM
    They won't charge you as long as you don't use a ton of data. Even with VZW's tethering plan they give you a soft 5gb cap. So usually when using tetherberry or the sort, it is advised to stay under that. If you do raise a red flag with Verizon by using too much data you will eventually get charged and possibly get your contract terminated because using Tetherberry violates the TOS.
    01-13-10 09:18 AM

I downloaded the "PC Files" but nothing automatically starts up when I connected my Storm to my computer. Can someone please tell me (step-by-step) how to get Tether working.

You must start the Tether app on the BB and the PC manually and then wait a moment for them to connect. It does not work automatically.
    01-13-10 10:32 AM

There are two components - a PC program and a BB application. You need to install and run each of them. Use the USB cord as there are acknowledged issues with Bluetooth and OS 5.

Summary: Run the BB app. Now run the PC app and tell it to use usb, then click on CONNECT. You should then be able to use Tether to collect email or browse the web or other internet connections.
    01-13-10 10:33 AM
    There are two components - a PC program and a BB application. You need to install and run each of them. Use the USB cord as there are acknowledged issues with Bluetooth and OS 5.

Summary: Run the BB app. Now run the PC app and tell it to use usb, then click on CONNECT. You should then be able to use Tether to collect email or browse the web or other internet connections.
    How do I run the PC app?
    01-13-10 12:38 PM
    How do I run the PC app?
    Installing the PC app should place a lowercase t icon on your desktop, just double click on it to run it, OR Click on Start, All Programs, Tetherberry, Tether.
    01-13-10 12:45 PM
    Installing the PC app should place a lowercase t icon on your desktop, just double click on it to run it, OR Click on Start, All Programs, Tetherberry, Tether.
    Perhaps a stupid questions, but how do I install the PC App (do I simply connect my Storm, and "Download PC Files"?)
    01-13-10 12:49 PM
    Strange... when I open my laptop (the computer I want to access the internet on, via my Blackberry) there is no icon on the desktop and nothing different when I open Desktop Manager.

HOWEVER, when I connect my Blackberry to my work PC (via USB) and open Desktop Manager, it has an "IP Modem" option. Is this what I need? (just on my laptop...)

I would really appreciate help on this, I am lost without internet access at my apartment.
    01-13-10 01:22 PM
    You need to get the PC files downloaded and installed on your PC. It MAY be possible to use the tether app to do this, but I have not done it that way. The way I did it was to go to the tether web site on my PC (Tether BlackBerry | BlackBerry Modem | Tether) and then go to Trial, and then to download the PC app from that page (or Mac app if on a Mac), once downloaded you must run the PC app to install it first before you can start using it. Once it's installed you will then see the lower case t icon I spoke of. Now to do it this way you must be able to access internet from your laptop. If you don't have regular internet, you may be able to go to a free wifi spot to get access IF your laptop supports that. McDonalds and many coffee shops offer free wireless.

NOW a general warning, tethering should NEVER be used as your primary form of internet. Make sure to use tethering lightly otherwise you will raise flags at Verizon and you may get charged or have your account closed.
    01-13-10 02:26 PM
    [QUOTE= NOW a general warning, tethering should NEVER be used as your primary form of internet. Make sure to use tethering lightly otherwise you will raise flags at Verizon and you may get charged or have your account closed.[/QUOTE]

Seem to have it set up correctly, thanks for the help. How will if I am using the app too much?
    01-13-10 02:30 PM
    You should periodically check your usage at Cell Phones,Smartphones,Mobile Cell Phone Plans - Verizon Wireless, sign on then click on Data, OR from your device dial #3282 for a free text with your data usage.
    01-13-10 02:37 PM
    What if my data plan is unlimited?
    01-13-10 02:39 PM
    What if my data plan is unlimited?
    Your Blackberry Data plan is Unlimited. You are you using Tether to umm...tether, so you will have a 5 GB cap. Or they will find you, bill you for overages and tickle you until you pee.
    Last edited by supermario28; 01-13-10 at 03:58 PM.
    01-13-10 03:25 PM
    Just for the record I am NOT admitting to using Tether.
    01-13-10 03:55 PM
    So you are telling me that I will need to keep my data usage under 5 GB?
    01-13-10 03:58 PM
    Perhaps a stupid questions, but how do I install the PC App (do I simply connect my Storm, and "Download PC Files"?)
    I saw that option when I first fired up Tether but I had already downloaded the PC file to my computer using the link provided by the seller. I think that "download pc" thing will download the pc-executable and you will have to copy/move it to the pc in any event. I had started that operation and it was taking forever.
    01-13-10 03:59 PM
    Nah, you can do what you want, but they can bill you if you use more that 5 GB and they catch you.
    01-13-10 04:00 PM
    Just for the record I am NOT admitting to using Tether.
    What's Tether?
    01-13-10 04:02 PM
    So you are telling me that I will need to keep my data usage under 5 GB?
    It is not only that. Verizon's contract which you signed or acquiesced in supposedly has a prohibition of using BB data for tethering. They provide a separate Tether option for an additional monthly fee.

So, even if you don't go over 5gigs, you MAY still be violating your contract and if they suspect they might bill you for those charges or cancel your contract. So, if you now use, say about 1gig (and that's a lot for most average users) and suddenly start using 4 gigs (still under that 5gig fictional cap*), they or their computer sniffer might be alerted. So, if you start ramping up your usage slowly or at least, not dramatically, you might not alert them (computer).

*5gig cap - at least, with Verizon, the data plan is UNlimited. Supposedly, they have a 5gig cap but that does not exist and I don't think they can get you if you really use your BB (no tethering) for 6 or 7 gigs although they might start wondering. I am sure there are other opinions but in another thread, I quoted the text from my last bill - UNlimited was in the quote and in the verizon bill.

edited to add: there are those who say it is also illegal/criminal besides a violation of the contract. The term might be "theft of service" so everyone had to make up their own mind or morality!!!! And not posted to frighten anybody but just to mention it as it is mentioned in other threads on tethering.
    Last edited by F2; 01-13-10 at 04:12 PM.
    01-13-10 04:09 PM
    Also, if you buy Tether from Handango/Verizon Store, Handango will provide the details of your transaction to Verizon. So Verizon will know that you have purchased Tether. This is from the website:
    Handango/Verizon Wireless

Verizon Wireless and Handango have teamed together
    to provide a vast selection of software applications for your phones.

Handango developed and manages this area of the website. You are actually on Handango's server right now. This means that should you decide to purchase an application, you'll be buying from Handango. Handango will also take care of any support issues regarding your software purchase or download.

We want you to be aware that Handango will provide Verizon Wireless with information related to your transactions (including, for example, your name and address, products you purchase and the details of those products i.e. the product's category). We know that you care about how information about you is used and we appreciate your trust.
    01-13-10 04:43 PM
    One more reason not to use Handango - besides their download insurance issue.

Obviously, they must report since Verizon probably gets some cut of the sale price.
    01-13-10 05:30 PM
    One more reason not to use Handango - besides their download insurance issue.

Obviously, they must report since Verizon probably gets some cut of the sale price.
    This goes back to the other conversation we were having about tethering - if Verizon gets a cut from Handango, but if a customer uses the program and it causes a violation of Verizon's TOS... isn't that entrapment?

One would think that if an app causes a violation of a provider's TOS, the provider should remove the app from their stores and contact the developer to state that it is not supported.

To the OP:

You will need to make your own decision on this. If you choose to do so, be extremely conservative on the amounts of tethering you do, especially while you are amping your average data use up. There are stories on this board about people on Verizon specifically (as that was the original question) that were charged with multiple thousands in overages and had accounts suspended due to tethering without the Verizon provided tethering plan (the kid in question admitted to streaming music while tethered, but may have been doing more).
    01-13-10 06:07 PM
    Nah, you can do what you want, but they can bill you if you use more that 5 GB and they catch you.
    I thought they could bill you for whatever usage they end up finding if the tethering option ($30/BIS, $15/BES) wasn't activated, to the tune of $1.99/MB??
    01-13-10 09:38 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD