I will try to be brief yet descriptive. I have three phones on my plan: my blackberry, wife and son have dumb phones. I purchased my Storm 1 around this time last year from an individual that was not happy. I activated it and love it. My son broke his phone in May of '09 so I let him use my free upgrade because I kept the Storm. Wife is eligible for upgrade in May.

I broke my Storm. My fault. I have dual holster and leaned against heavy object at work to push it and storm slid down in hoster. When I pulled it out the lip of holster pulled the four buttons out and twisted them. I manipulated them and got them in place and used clear tape to hold them in place. It actually functions quite well. (I don't have insurance.) Is it possible Verizon customer service would let me upgrade early to Storm2? (Yes, I'm a little anxious to try out the WiFi.)
    Last edited by OneWaySRD; 02-07-10 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Spelling
    02-07-10 08:02 AM
    You may have to wait til May to do the upgrade for the discount price, otherwise you would have to pay full price and I'm sure you don't want to dish out the $500 something pricetag. But talk to them anyways and see, sometimes they will work something out w/ their customers and let them upgrade early.
    02-07-10 08:46 AM
    You can always ask. Doesn't mean they'll say yes. I would ask without telling them you broke your phone. If you say you have a broken phone they just might not let you knowing you'll have to buy a new at full retail. Just my opinion.
    02-07-10 09:25 AM
    I don't want to be misleading. I'm hoping my bill is large enough monthly to warrant an early upgrade in this circumstance.
    02-07-10 09:43 AM
    So your wife's upgrade is in May?
    I would call or e-mail them and just state what happened. I have made that exception a few times, especially for a customer that is always in good standing or has been with us for some time.
    02-07-10 09:47 AM
    If you want to use your wifes upgrade in May, you better come up with a good Valentines day gift for her this year! LOL!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-07-10 07:01 PM
    I would just call Verizon and be sincere. I dropped my uninsured BB in the toilet on New Year's Eve. When I called two days later (phone wasn't working. Even with the rice treatment) I explained exactly what had happened. They were very understanding and helpful, AND they let me upgrade early with a year long contract extension.

02-07-10 07:36 PM
    Or you could always just pay 50.00 for a refurbished since you don't have insurance and just wait until May. The phone isn't covered under warranty because it wasn't purchased on your account but it can be replaced with a fee, even with physical damage provided it hasn't gotten wet.

02-07-10 08:31 PM
    I don't want to be misleading. I'm hoping my bill is large enough monthly to warrant an early upgrade in this circumstance.
    LOL........I love that mentality.
    02-07-10 08:42 PM
    I think it is always better to be honest about the situation. Good karma comes to those who are honest and not try to mislead a circumstance.
    02-07-10 11:26 PM
    Not to be rude but bringing up your monthly bill rarely ever gets you anywhere. I am taking a guess but your bill is probably around $200. I have seen accounts that pay more for a days worth of service than you do in 2-3 years!

Just be sincere in saying you realize it is your fault and is there anything VZW can do to help you. More than likely the rep will be understanding and offer you plenty of options in which one will satisfy you.

I would call or e-mail them and just state what happened. I have made that exception a few times, especially for a customer that is always in good standing or has been with us for some time.
    A good standing customer will always get the most help I can possibly give. Funny how paying your bills on time and abiding by the rules get you out of some of the policies and procedures that are supposed to be the standard norm.
    02-08-10 08:45 AM
    Indeed. If you don't have a phone, there are cases in which they'll allow you to upgrade early.

On that note, I'd also check in with the website. Occasionally there will be a deal available that will allow an early upgrade. Log in as the account-holder line and see what hitting "upgrade" on the "my services" page brings up.
    02-08-10 04:23 PM
    i broke my blackberry with out insurance once with verizon and told them i wanted to add insurance i waited 2 weeks then told them i broke my phone paid $50 recived it the next day
    02-09-10 09:41 PM
    I have 5 phones on my account. My BB and for dumb phones. I seldom use an upgrade for a dumb phone for a kid. I buy those on craigslist or E-Bay and save the upgrades for my own personal fix on my techy addiction.
    02-10-10 08:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD