Verizon coverage in Haiti?
    I have an 8830 (the silver one) from work...I anticipate that I will be deployed to Haiti in the coming hours. Is there coverage there?
    01-13-10 08:18 AM
    Check thier web site
    01-13-10 09:08 AM
    My guess,is nothing is working there, no power at all on the whole island
    01-13-10 09:09 AM
    IF the phone system has not been disrupted by earthquake, you may be OK if you have the 8830WE.

Haiti is a GSM country, using world standard 900/1800 frequencies. There is some evidence to suggest roaming agreements are limited.

GSM Coverage Maps | Haiti

In reality it is likely you will need to pick up a local phone and prepay SIM.
    01-13-10 09:19 AM
    Nobody knows at work. everything is in flux and no one knows who is going. I do have the world edition, it's the silver one and it ssays so on the front.
    I don't think I will hae access to get anything on the ground. we usually don't during disasters on the ground. what we carry is what we have.
    01-13-10 09:44 AM
    Nobody knows at work. everything is in flux and no one knows who is going. I do have the world edition, it's the silver one and it ssays so on the front.
    I don't think I will hae access to get anything on the ground. we usually don't during disasters on the ground. what we carry is what we have.
    WE should work but reports here suggest all comms are down. It is likely there is no power to the systems, possibly no mains power at all. Also expect disrupted power supplies so charging will be difficult unless you have access to a generator.

The info I have suggests roaming agreements only with T-Mo. You need to beat on VZW to find out if they have any agreements there which might let you use your phone on GSM. I would be looking for an Iridium Satphone as backup.

Good luck and stay safe if you get deployed.
    01-13-10 10:07 AM
    If there is no power no cell coverage will be there other than Sat-Com handsets. Be safe there.
    01-13-10 10:19 AM
    I've seen reports where the locals called home to report that the were ok, so it seems you may have some connectivity. I wouldnt count on having CDMA, GSM is probably a go.
    01-13-10 10:29 AM
    I just heard on NBC News that the entire cell phone infrastructure is down in Port-Au-Prince. Everywhere else in the nation of Haiti has cell service. They also said that Haitian cell service is primarily pay as you go, so finding a SIM card may be hard to do in the city.

Good Luck.
    01-13-10 10:35 AM
    Sounds like you are going there to help with the quake, just want to acknowledge and say Godspeed! Hopefully you'll have some luck with the phones.
    01-13-10 10:42 AM
    Thanks evryone! This is going to be more intense tha even Aquila was.
    Someone mentioned sat phones and ijust learbed that we will have a sat phone per group.
    Thanks, everyone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-10 10:52 AM
    Good luck and may you return safely. The Crackberry Family is a tight knit group (as dysfunctional as we are).
    01-14-10 02:36 AM
    Just a quick note - sporadic availability. We are actually usung a mobile satellite dock of some sort with satellite phones. It's very expensive so it's only emergencies. Team has one local device on loan. .
    Brought work 8830 and 9000 but left 9700.
    The situation is beyond horrific. This is the worst I have ever seen.
    My dog was injured on exposed jagged splinters but I have enough vet wrap.
    There is no way to describe the smell or the soumds..

Coverage IS UP but very very sporedic.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-15-10 11:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD