Hey guys,

I currently have 20% of a month from my now out of business employer (Circuit City). Its been 7 months now and I still have it. What do you think the odds are of Verizon canceling this? I heard before that verizon had close to 15,000 lines on this discount.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Hughett87; 09-23-09 at 12:08 PM.
    09-23-09 12:02 PM
    They are in the process of back-charging all accounts & adding late fees & penalties for this error. Then they will be switching all these accounts to AT&T.

Okay - no more kidding around.

They may purge the discount or they may not. Enjoy it while you have it. I've never heard of VZW or any carrier charging back for an employee discount.

However, if you don't like the uncertainty, call them, bring it up & tell them you want it removed - that you WANT to pay more.

09-23-09 12:16 PM

However, if you don't like the uncertainty, call them, bring it up & tell them you want it removed - that you WANT to pay more.

You're in rare form the last couple of days aren't u.
    ROFL...........
    09-23-09 12:22 PM
    where do you see if your eligible for a discount on the vzw website?
    09-23-09 01:52 PM
    From the menu across the top, highlight business-->employee discounts. you will be brought to a page where you can enter in your work email address and then you will be sent a link to have the discount applied.
    09-23-09 02:04 PM
    https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=THljxio6

If you have an email address for your company then type it in. If not look to the right. A very good way to find out if you have a discount is to go onto your companies benefits page. From your benefits page you may find that you have discounts with MANY companies. A Verizon Wireless employee can attempt a search for you HOWEVER this may be VERY inaccurate as they don't know who you work for only you do and with a lot of companies the employees don't actually know who they are working for in the bigger scheme of things. So if your company is owned by a larger company then the discount may be listed under the larger company. Or if you work in health care your discount may be based off of the GROUP that your employer is in. Therefore the best way to find out is using your corporate email address or ask as many people at work who have your carrier if you have a discount available.

Again the benefits page at your employer should be the first place you look! If you aren't sure that you have a benefits page then ask yourself do I work for a very very large company? Then I probably have a benefits page, just try to find out how to get to it, usually can only be accessed from a work terminal.
    09-23-09 03:05 PM
    Legally, they can not ask if you are no longer at your job that gave you the discount. Your old job can also not tell Verizon that you no longer work at the place that gives you a discount.

You my friend, have found a Catch-22 in your benefit. If you don't tell them, the discount will stay on your account.
    09-24-09 09:29 AM
    Edit. Sorry about the grammatical errors in this post. Its not easy to go back and correct on the Storm.
    Legally, they can not ask if you are no longer at your job that gave you the discount. Your old job can also not tell Verizon that you no longer work at the place that gives you a discount.

You my friend, have found a Catch-22 in your benefit. If you don't tell them, the discount will stay on your account.
    Its in the terms and conditions on the doscount request form that they reserve the right to re verify employment at anytime in addition, the former employer is no longer on business and VZW obviously knows this but for now they are allowing former CC employees to keep their discount as. a courtesy.

Last edited by gvillager; 09-24-09 at 10:53 AM.
    09-24-09 10:49 AM
    Probably not a coutesy - they probably haven't run a purge of that discount code yet.

09-24-09 12:38 PM
    They will be removing Circuit City discounts this fall. That's what a VZW rep told me.

09-24-09 01:00 PM
    They might be legally able to ask, and an employer not able to tell them. But I find it hard to believe someone there doesn't realize circuit city is out of business. My opinion is that they are smart enough to realize cutting the discount as soon as they can would add insult to injury and would be a PR disaster. By waiting, they show they "care".

09-24-09 01:15 PM
    They might be legally able to ask, and an employer not able to tell them. But I find it hard to believe someone there doesn't realize circuit city is out of business. My opinion is that they are smart enough to realize cutting the discount as soon as they can would add insult to injury and would be a PR disaster. By waiting, they show they "care".

While I feel for everyone who lost their job, I lost mine also a few years ago, Verizon is not deriving any income from out of business employeers and as far as I am concerned, this is cheating the system. For profit corporations aren't in the business of caring, they are out to provide a service and if they want to remain at the top of their game, provide the best service possible. In that vein they may provide you with service above and over the call of duty.

When I was out of work, my bank still asked for the mortagage payment, credit card companies still asked for their payments, my state stopped my unemployment checks and to boot had to pay Cobra. Nobody really "cared". So why should VZW cut you a break?
    09-24-09 02:54 PM

You left out the legal reality that the entity circuit city does not exist any more and neither do their employee discounts. I think he will lose it at some point in the future.
    09-24-09 04:56 PM

True, we cant ask. But since there is no more Circuit City, there are also no more employees of Circuit City.

The discount can be removed with a click of a mouse, i would say just ride it out. I know it wont come off mid contract but if you try to renew the discount may be removed at that point.
    09-26-09 05:35 PM
    I wouldnt say anything if I were you really... keep it as long as ya can
    09-26-09 06:00 PM
    Circuit City the retailer is gone...but circuitcity.com has been resurrected - someone bought the rights to the domain name. Therefore, you may try to argue that CC still exist and you can keep your discount...that is, if they try to take it away.
    09-26-09 06:06 PM
    Circuit City the retailer is gone...but circuitcity.com has been resurrected - someone bought the rights to the domain name. Therefore, you may try to argue that CC still exist and you can keep your discount...that is, if they try to take it away.
    They can remove the discount from the account due to the contract that CC/VZW entered into is no longer in effect. They really are allowing discounts to remain on accounts as a courtesy.
    09-26-09 06:48 PM
    No argument to be had there - the employee agreement was with Circuit City, as a VZW Authorized Retailer, not with Systemax, the retailer that bought the name in bankruptcy.
    09-27-09 11:55 PM
    So why should VZW cut you a break?
    For the same reason any company does something like this. To make themselves look good.

The business is under no obligation, but they're also under no obligation *not* to. If they do it, who are we to question? It's not like us forum-rats are holding a "save the circuit city employees" charity fundraiser, are we?
    09-28-09 12:09 AM
    It's not like us forum-rats are holding a "save the circuit city employees" charity fundraiser, are we?
    Too late - they are beyond saving, now.
    09-28-09 12:41 AM
    I neglected to read that it was CircuitCity. I could see why that discount would be removed.
    09-28-09 09:47 AM
    But it hasn't been, yet.

Although I'd not be surprised if publicity changes that, before it is all said & done with.
    09-28-09 11:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD