My wife and I are not really into smartphones, texting, or accessing the net from phones, so we've basically stuck with our old flip-phones until now. Then the other day my mother-in-law offered to buy my wife an Iphone so she could email or text her at need while she's at work, so we've been looking into various plans to see what we should do. We currently have our cell phones hooked up with Verizon, and did some homework to see what our options were as far as upgrading to the Iphone for my wife and getting something else for myself. Personally I don't really care one way or the other if I get an smartphone, and told my wife I'd be happy to simply hook up the unlocked Blackberry 8830 (formerly used with Verizon) we bought last year for use when we're traveling abroad.

Only problem is that Verizon rep can't - or won't - tell us if we can keep the Blackberry unlocked so that we can slip in cheap overseas SIM cards when we go overseas again. I mean, it's our phone now, not theirs, so I think we should be able to keep it unlocked to switch over at need. I don't see why we should get locked into using Verizon's exorbitant overseas roaming fees when we travel when I can get much cheaper rates via the over the counter SIM cards. Is this possible with Verizon? If not, I'm leaning towards keeping the Blackberry aside for overseas use and getting a simple smartphone.

Thanks.
    08-26-12 03:43 PM
    Once a phone is unlocked it will remain unlocked.
    08-26-12 05:30 PM
    Okay, that's how I figured it. But the rep at Verizon that we spoke to today insisted it would get locked again if we put it back on their network. Just seemed to me that she was trying to get us to buy a new phone to go with the Iphone, as she knew that I wanted the Blackberry to remain capable of being used separate to Verizon when we travel.

So just to confirm, you're saying we can hook it up to Verizon, unlocked, and still be able to put in our own SIM cards at need when we travel?

Does Verizon put a SIM card back in of their own if we hook up the Blackberry, and then it just comes down to slipping it out when we travel, then slotting it back in when we come back home? Or does it mean having to fiddle around with settings, as well as SIM cards, each time we go overseas? I don't mind, I just need to know what will be required. We only go overseas once every couple of years for a few weeks, so it's not like it will be a big inconvenience if I have to change settings backwards and forwards to put in cheap overseas SIM cards.
    08-26-12 07:02 PM
    Once a phone is unlocked, it stays that way. They will give you another SIM card to put in. If you go abroad, you need only get a SIM card from a provider (Prepaid) and pop it in.
    08-26-12 07:05 PM
    Thanks, I appreciate the response.
    08-26-12 08:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD