I have a Tour activated now, but I thought I'd activate my Storm instead to see how I like the new 5.0 OS. My Tour has insurance whereas my Storm does not. When I dialed the *228, 3 it said something about my Tour insurance would cancel if I shut off the Tour and activated the Storm. Did I hear that right? I hung up before finishing the call....
    10-28-09 02:03 PM
    No, most times it will continue to charge but the insurance be invalid.
    Sometimes it will remove the insurance but in my experiences it often ends up in some sort of of credit.
    Best idea - Call CSR and see what they say.
    10-28-09 02:11 PM
    Insurance can only be transferred with warranty or insurance replacements. It can only be added on new activations or upgrades.

It's to avoid fraudulent claims with already broke phones. Imagine if anyone could activate whatever phone they have and add insurance.
    10-28-09 02:17 PM
    I called CSR & they weren't sure so they called Asurion who said that my Tour would keep the insurance AND that if I deactivate my Tour/activate my Storm, the insurance would also cover the Storm. Seems odd but that's what Asurion said

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-28-09 02:54 PM
    Insurance can only be transferred with warranty or insurance replacements. It can only be added on new activations or upgrades.

It's to avoid fraudulent claims with already broke phones. Imagine if anyone could activate whatever phone they have and add insurance.
    Not true. Transfered my insurance to a phone I bought off someone and ended up having to file a claim down the road. Didn't have a problem.
    10-28-09 06:02 PM
    Not true. Transfered my insurance to a phone I bought off someone and ended up having to file a claim down the road. Didn't have a problem.
    The rep shouldn't have allowed insurance to transfer over.. or the system - however you done it..

How to Get It

For any of these programs, Verizon Wireless customers can only enroll within 30 days of the following:

* New account activation with new equipment.
    * Upgrade with new equipment purchase.
    * To enroll in any of these programs, customers should contact Verizon Wireless Customer Service at (800) 922-0204 or visit any Verizon Wireless retail store location; or to enroll in the Asurion Wireless Phone Protection program only, customers should call Asurion at (888) 881-2622.
    Source: Calling Features: Total Equipment Coverage
    Last edited by tsguy52; 10-28-09 at 06:07 PM.
    10-28-09 06:05 PM
    Yep, the system did it automatically. As a matter of fact, when ever I switch to any handset (I switch a lot) *228 tells you its going to do it automatically.
    10-28-09 06:06 PM
    Further info on this from the Asurion Brochure:

2. Covered Property
    Covered Property means only the mobile wireless communications equipment as follows:
    a. The wireless device owned by you for which: 1) the unique identification number (International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI), Electronic Serial Number (ESN), or Mobile Equipment ID (MEID) of such wireless device is reflected in the records of the Wireless Service Provider at the time your coverage initially became effective; and 2) for which airtime outgoing usage has been logged with the Wireless Service Provider on your account after coverage became effective: unless you have logged outgoing airtime on a different wireless phone immediately prior to the time of loss, in which case such wireless device becomes the covered property so long as: i) such wireless device is owned by you and you provide us proof of ownership and ii) airtime usage was logged on such device on your account with the Wireless Service Provider immediately prior to the time of loss.
    10-28-09 06:17 PM
    Further info on this from the Asurion Brochure:
    2. Covered Property
    Covered Property means only the mobile wireless communications equipment as follows:
    a. The wireless device owned by you for which: 1) the unique identification number (International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI), Electronic Serial Number (ESN), or Mobile Equipment ID (MEID) of such wireless device is reflected in the records of the Wireless Service Provider at the time your coverage initially became effective; and 2) for which airtime outgoing usage has been logged with the Wireless Service Provider on your account after coverage became effective: unless you have logged outgoing airtime on a different wireless phone immediately prior to the time of loss, in which case such wireless device becomes the covered property so long as: i) such wireless device is owned by you and you provide us proof of ownership and ii) airtime usage was logged on such device on your account with the Wireless Service Provider immediately prior to the time of loss.
    Which means:
    • If you buy a device somewhere USED, keep proof of purchase
    • You will have had to actually USED the device prior to filing the claim

It will obviously be at Asurion's discretion whether or not they feel you'd used the phone long enough to approve the claim.
    10-28-09 06:21 PM
    Which means:
    • If you buy a device somewhere USED, keep proof of purchase
    • You will have had to actually USED the device prior to filing the claim

It will obviously be at Asurion's discretion whether or not they feel you'd used the phone long enough to approve the claim.
    Exactly!
    10-28-09 06:35 PM
    I believe, from a legal standpoint, if you have documentation stating that number one, you are the owner of the device, and two, it was active on your account at the time of the "incident" they have to cover it.
    10-28-09 06:40 PM
    I know of someone who switched devices, insurance stayed, they filed a claim, the second device was covered & 14 months later, they were billed full retail for the phone - upon questioning VZW, they punted to Asurion who told this person that they were allowed to charge back because it was insurance fraud & could do so at any time up to 7 years after the fact.

So, you might get away with it - or you might take it in the shorts.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-28-09 07:57 PM
    Since he called CS and CS called Asurion who stated it would cover the Storm. I would think he would be in the clear as long as the CS rep made good notation on his account.
    10-28-09 09:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD