01-22-11 02:56 PM
97 ... 234
tools
    I think Blackberry will lose market share in 2010 and when they come out with the QNX devices they better be more amazing than anything else out there if they want to regain that market share back...
    In 2011 that is, it's not 2010 anymore. I don't think they will lose anything.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-12-11 05:22 PM
    If the iPhone is announced today for Verizon as everybody expects it to be, I don't believe there will be any room for RIM on Big Red. Verizon is heavily invested in Android phones, add the iPhone to that and it spells doom for RIM IMO.
    VZ would lose more business than it gains if it drops BB's
    howarmat likes this.
    01-12-11 06:54 PM
    Definitely good discussion! At this time I'm keeping my 9650 and not getting an iPhone. I don't get an upgrade until next year so I'm good.
    01-12-11 07:08 PM
    I think Blackberry will lose market share in 2010 and when they come out with the QNX devices they better be more amazing than anything else out there if they want to regain that market share back...
    That market share is never coming back, sorry.
    01-12-11 07:14 PM
    VZ would lose more business than it gains if it drops BB's
    on the business side they would, consumer side might not mean near as much though. i am curious to see how many storm 2s they sell in the first quarter. not that we would get that data, but it would be interesting
    01-12-11 07:14 PM
    on the business side they would, consumer side might not mean near as much though. i am curious to see how many storm 2s they sell in the first quarter. not that we would get that data, but it would be interesting
    And this is just a guess: 3
    01-12-11 07:16 PM
    nobody is going to want to be left behind when all their friends have great touch screen devices. there will be a few HC BB holdouts. very few.
    I don't want a touchscreen phone. If a phone I want has a touchscreen, it had better have a QWERTY keyboard too. I don't care if my friends have touchscreens. That's fine. Yeah, their phones are wicked cool, but so is mine. I love my phone.

Am I hardcore BB holdout? No. This is, honestly, my first BB. This is the phone I chose over Android devices, over touchscreens, because I dislike candybar phones and I am not a huge fan of sliders. I chose it because it offered the form-factor I wanted, and because it does exactly what I want it to do. I'm not settling for anything; I have exactly what I want. Android is a wonderful platform and there are wonderful to-drool-over Android phones, but only RIM makes exactly what I want and what I need. (And, by the way, I had someone today drooling over my phone. "Ooooh, is *that* the new BlackBerry? Can I see?")
    01-12-11 07:42 PM
    That's fine. Yeah, their phones are wicked cool, but so is mine. I love my phone.
    Style? No, your phone isn't that cool.
    01-12-11 07:48 PM
    Oh, don't be a ****. Different things are cool to different people. I've had a number of people think my phone is cool. If I want your opinion on the coolness of MY phone, I'll give it to you.
    01-12-11 07:57 PM
    Excellent discussion. Interesting points made. I want RIM to succeed. I will personally be moving to the iphone 4 or the thunderbolt. But I'm hoping a Storm 3 will have me conflicted again this time next year.
    I think it would be better off putting that "storm" branding to the rest..it wouldn't be wise for RIM naming any of their future phones with "storm".

Stay with the numbers instead..or just keep calling them bold or curve and add a version number to the end, that's it. I even oppose the "torch". Kinda childish if you ask me.
    01-12-11 08:03 PM
    I think it would be better off putting that "storm" branding to the rest..it wouldn't be wise for RIM naming any of their future phones with "storm".
    So what should they call it instead? Typhoon?

Stay with the numbers instead..or just keep calling them bold or curve and add a version number to the end, that's it. I even oppose the "torch". Kinda childish if you ask me.
    We'll have to agree to disagree there. I personally love the looks of the Torch, and I am getting it next.

Dude, different phones appeal to different people. I think the Style looks cool. Stop the pretentious attitude, because different things work for different people. Just because it doesn't work for you doesn't mean it's uncool. Yeah, you've gone onto Android, yea, you think everything seems to work better on Android than on BlackBerry, but don't hate and bash people for their phone choice. If he thinks it's cool, let him think it's cool. And I agree with him.
    Ferretling and buwee like this.
    01-12-11 08:10 PM
    So what should they call it instead? Typhoon?
    Don't call them any of those. Just curve or bold. or slide or flip..forget about the damn extreme weather phenomenas and comic book figures..
    01-12-11 08:20 PM
    If he thinks it's cool, let him think it's cool. And I agree with him.
    She.

And ooh, I like the name "Typhoon". BlackBerry Typhoon. It kind of rolls off the tongue.
    01-12-11 08:49 PM
    I'm willing to bet RIM doesn't see that big of a loss. At this point, most of the buyers are RIM faithful anyhow, and will continue to be so due to the unique feature set available on RIM devices. Yes, some will go, but not as many as most think.

As for the iPhone4, I was a devoted iPhone fanboy when it came to my personal line. I had 2 iPhone4 units in the first month, and HATED them. I went back to my 3gs, until I finally settled on the Captivate. The Torch is on a business line.
    01-12-11 09:36 PM
    RIM needs to get away from exclusivity like the Torch and Storm, and focus on getting handsets to carriers, both CDMA and GSM. Storm and Torch both would have sold much better in US if they weren't exclusive to one carrier.

Ditto, Inichols.
    01-12-11 09:46 PM
    Well, I think it's cool and I think my Torch is cool too and NO your opinion means **** all to me just as my opinion that whatever phone you use is a piece of crap.
    01-12-11 10:00 PM
    Blackberry is still a great phone for stable email and security. Blackberry still offers the highest level of security out of all the phones on the market. This features is key to many business and government employees
    buwee likes this.
    01-12-11 11:26 PM
    Blackberry is still a great phone for stable email and security. Blackberry still offers the highest level of security out of all the phones on the market. This features is key to many business and government employees
    That's true but there's more to it that just stable email and security. While both are important and BB does this well, there's also that expensive data plan these phones work on and with a less than adequate browser, small screen and keyboard, it becomes difficult to take full advantage of the data plan. With that said, I could function with a regular flip phone for the occasional text message and not need a data plan.
    01-19-11 10:59 AM
    Well if this were the case then why did the Torch do so well despite the iPhone being the AT&T "flagship device"?
    01-19-11 11:53 AM
    Well if this were the case then why did the Torch do so well despite the iPhone being the AT&T "flagship device"?
    Quite honestly , the torch really didn't do all that great.
    01-19-11 12:23 PM
    Quite honestly , the torch really didn't do all that great.
    One persons "these sales suck" is another person "these sales are great". Conversely one persons "these sales are great" is another persons "these sales suck".

I'm assuming you are representing ATT when you speaking for them?
    01-19-11 02:29 PM
    We can only hope that they will step up and start to offer some technology equivalent phones. Lately (Even the Torch) they have been falling way behind. Processor Speed, RAM, PIXELS, Touch Screen... The saddest thing is that I still have the Storm and haven't traded in because I don't want to lose BBM.... Damn you RIM give me a good Touch Phone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I am right there with you, I want a nice touchscreen phone but I have bought so far into blackberry i'm not ready to leave (including accessories and such).

Do what I did; go ahead and get a second hand S2 (save your upgrade); the wifi and double the app memory IS MORE THAN WORTH IT. no more freeze ups from "zero app memory" and so forth. I like the screen click more too. I picked up one off ebay in mint condition for $180 (after months of watching and waiting; you can get one for $225 any day of the week). The batteries are interchangeable so you will automatically get an extra battery. It will hold you over until a new bb touchscreen finally comes out.... Also I am going to snag a playbook as soon as one comes out so I will in effect have an "amplified blackberry".

The other main benifit from the S2 is that it has very little "memory leak". I have the exact same apps that I had on S1 plus a few extra... and I have no MORE than a 1 meg or 2 meg loss by the end of the day.
    01-22-11 02:56 PM
97 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD