01-22-11 02:56 PM
97 123 ...
tools
    If the iPhone is announced today for Verizon as everybody expects it to be, I don't believe there will be any room for RIM on Big Red. Verizon is heavily invested in Android phones, add the iPhone to that and it spells doom for RIM IMO.
    Last edited by Slapnpop826; 01-12-11 at 04:15 PM.
    01-11-11 10:36 AM
    I don't think it'll spell DOOM, it'll spell 'this device is defective by design' by the smart people, since the free software foundation doesn't like devices that limit the freedoms of use and choice of what can and cannot be installed/done on the device.

Just my three cents.

PS. RIM will still thrive. if they were suffering dramatic losses, it would already be on the news.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-11-11 10:41 AM
    iPhone is on AT&T, and AT&T still gets plenty of Blackberry love. Maybe Apple showing some CDMA love will force RIM too also. RIM needs to get away from exclusivity like the Torch and Storm, and focus on getting handsets to carriers, both CDMA and GSM. Storm and Torch both would have sold much better in US if they weren't exclusive to one carrier. Apple is saturated with just AT&T in the US, only growing a fraction of percent this past 3 months, they have to add a carrier to grow more.
    01-11-11 10:41 AM
    AT&T is just starting to get high end android phones so we will see how much love they will have for Blackberry in the coming months.
    01-11-11 10:47 AM
    Why, because of iphone? lol
    01-11-11 10:52 AM
    If the iPhone is announced today for Verizon as everybody expects it to be, I don't believe there will be any room for RIM on Big Red. Verizon is heavily invested in Android phones, add the iPhone to that and it spells doom for RIM IMO.
    Officially=No

Unofficially=Yes
    devGOD likes this.
    01-11-11 10:53 AM
    The beginning of the end? Verizon hasn't cared about BlackBerry ever since they launched the original Droid. They were the last carrier to get the 9650, the last to get the 9330, didn't want the Storm 9570 and are the last to release official OS 6.

It seems the only use they have for BlackBerry is the Curve, so they can get a bunch of first-time smartphone users hooked to $30 data plans. But even that is diminishing as they are now pushing low-cost Android devices instead.
    01-11-11 10:56 AM
    There is more to the world than the USA
    Indeed this is true.

01-11-11 10:56 AM
    There will be plenty of blackberry love on verizon. I really think as it looses exclusiveness it will loose steam

01-11-11 10:57 AM
    Indeed this is true.
    Ahh, I was going to edit that post, but you quoted me before I could

When the original iPhone came out people screamed "RIM is dead". In the big scheme of things a single phone being released in one country on one carrier won't change everything. BBs will still exist on Vwz as they did with At&t.

People love sensationalism...
    01-11-11 11:00 AM
    There will be plenty of blackberry love on verizon. I really think as it looses exclusiveness it will loose steam

What are you basing this on? RIM has all but admitted that they have no desire to compete.
    01-11-11 11:01 AM
    Ahh, I was going to edit that post, but you quoted me before I could

When the original iPhone came out people screamed "RIM is dead". In the big scheme of things a single phone being released in one country on one carrier won't change everything. BBs will still exist on Vwz as they did with At&t.

People love sensationalism...
    Yes, and the VZW Blackberrys are doing quite well too.
    01-11-11 11:03 AM
    What are you basing this on? RIM has all but admitted that they have no desire to compete.
    its not about RIM competing. The big deal with that iPhone garbage is that its been exclusive. Everyone wants a piece of it. Now that its coming to other networks its losing that exclusiveness
    01-11-11 11:07 AM
    We can only hope that they will step up and start to offer some technology equivalent phones. Lately (Even the Torch) they have been falling way behind. Processor Speed, RAM, PIXELS, Touch Screen... The saddest thing is that I still have the Storm and haven't traded in because I don't want to lose BBM.... Damn you RIM give me a good Touch Phone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    01-11-11 11:12 AM

OMG OMG OMG OMG GGAAAAHHHH!!!!!!!JIAWO;DSFJSA;FDIA !!!!

lol
    01-11-11 11:16 AM
    OK, just got a kick out of that last post! That was funny!

01-11-11 11:21 AM
    Indeed this is true.

Not really.

BBs will still exist on Vwz as they did with At&t.
    I was just going to raise that point...AT&T sold both iphone and BB. This thread's a fail.
    01-11-11 11:22 AM
    RIM won't have a high end phone ready for Verizon until probably 2012. By then the dual-core Android phones and the iPhone 5 will have completely shut them out.
    It's a big day for a h3ll of a lot of people....enjoy it, y'all! Long time coming. I honestly didn't think it would happen.

Not really.

I was just going to raise that point...AT&T sold both iphone and BB. This thread's a fail.
    AT&T did not have high end Android phones at the time either.
    01-11-11 11:23 AM
    AT&T did not have high end Android phones at the time either.
    They are selling all 3 now, aren't they?
    01-11-11 11:25 AM
    Id say yes, RIM doesn't care about CDMA BB's, Storm 1 and 2, Tour/Bold all pale comparison to other smartphone's- including the 9700 series and Torch. VZW gonna go with what the public wants and they want Android and IOS. RIM phones will survive in business and Corporate BES on both GSM, CDMA carriers. But they missed their chance of further BIS personal accounts.
    2 months ago ( i wanted RIM to "win"), I was in denial- ****, I run a BB web blog. But I can finally see the writing on the wall.
    01-11-11 11:35 AM
    Blackberrys went From 90% of VZW's smartphone sales, to less than 20% IN ONE YEAR. Without the iPhone.
    Slapnpop826 and howarmat like this.
    01-11-11 11:36 AM
    12 is expected for release this year.

They're ramping up their efforts on Android now that the iPhone is no longer exclusive.
    01-11-11 11:38 AM
    Blackberrys went From 90% of VZW's smartphone sales, to less than 20% IN ONE YEAR. Without the iPhone.
    Exactly my point. I don't see how they survive on Verizon.
    01-11-11 11:45 AM
97 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD