Hey there - so good news. I'm upgrading to a Curve from a Pearl...maybe.

So I know that Alltel recently merged with Verizon and had heard from sources that Verizon would have no trouble activating Alltel phones for their network. I found out quite a different scenario today..

I take my new Alltel Curve to a Verizon store and ask to have it activated. They say no problem, until they look at the branding on the phone and say "Oh, it's an Alltel phone..." They try putting it in the computer and say "well, I think your phone needs to be flashed to Verizon in order to work. Take it to a corporate store and they'll do it for you there."

So I drive another 5 miles to a corporate Verizon store (the store I was at was one of the 'authorized retailers,' which I guess is somehow different) and have to wait at least half an hour to speak to a rep. When I finally get to talk to a rep, they try activating it, then say "well, since this is an Alltel phone, we can't flash it from here. The phone will have to be troubleshooted by a tech person."

So they tell me to wait while they take the phone to a tech to see what they can do. The guy comes back after 5 minutes and says: "Since this is a PDA, it can't be troubleshooted or it will kill the phone completely. You'll need to call customer care and have them try to activate it, and if they can't, they'll send you a new phone that will work with Verizon."

Then the question comes up about where I got the phone. I bought it on eBay, and of course if I didn't get it through Verizon or Alltel, I can't get another phone through them, at least that's how the guy acted but didn't specifically say after I told him where I got it.

So they gave me the number and I called and spoke to a tech person there. He behaved as if there was no problem trying to activate it, and I thought I was home free, until he told me that an error message had come up...

So he said he had to talk to his manager (put me on hold), then said they'd have to talk to a different tech to try to work through the error message (asks me for my home number so he can call me back once it was worked out). So after a half hour he calls and says that there is most likely something wrong with the ESN (NOOOOOO!!) and that he couldn't get a tech because they won't be in until Monday, so he said he'll call Tuesday with a definite answer.

So, first - thank you if you were patient enough to read that.

But long story short - if an ESN is messed up, can it be saved, and will the Alltel phone eventually work with Verizon? And although I know it's highly unlikely, is there a chance I could still get a new phone from them? Heh heh.. anyway, thanks for reading. Look forward to responses.
    03-28-09 07:22 PM
    It depends on the "problem" with the ESN. If it was reported lost or stolen, or on a delinquent account that was flagged, I doubt that you could get it activated on any carrier. But they probably would have told you that right away.

I have a feeling that the ESN wasn't in the Verizon database, but they are checking to see if it can be added, since it is after all an Alltel device. So keep your fingers crossed that they check with Alltel that the ESN is clean and not on a delinquent account. Then, Verizon just might activate it.

Hope that helps.
    03-28-09 07:47 PM
    Ok so this doesn't mean alltel phones can't work on verizon you are using a possible used phone that could be on stolen/lost list. Very misleading title. Why is everyone so scared to to activate a phone on their own through vzw website? I do all my phones that way. Anyways if the esn is frozen since you did purchase off of ebay you might be sol! Was the phone ever active on alltel or you just bought an alltel curve and this is first activation?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-28-09 08:57 PM
    Alltel phones won't work on verizon til the merger is completed and vice versa.

Yes, some ppl have gotten them activated. I've heard for some ppl it works fine and for others, it doesn't work correctly in regards to data and whatnot.

As far as changing the esn and an esn database......never heard of that. Most likely, they are trying to figure out if the phone will work properly for you. U could always call alltel and have them check the esn to be sure its clean. Just call 800-alltel1

03-28-09 10:40 PM
    If the esn is clean just have the phone unlocked hop on vzw website and boom ull be working.

03-29-09 01:20 AM
    Alltel phones won't work on verizon til the merger is completed and vice versa.

As far as changing the esn and an esn database......never heard of that. Most likely, they are trying to figure out if the phone will work properly for you. U could always call alltel and have them check the esn to be sure its clean. Just call 800-alltel1

No one said anything about changing the ESN, that will never happen. When it comes to Verizon, the database containing the ESN numbers is key to whether or not they will activate a phone on their network. There have been some cases that I've heard of someone getting their ESN added to the database, but that has to be done by people higher up than the customer service reps.

If the esn is clean just have the phone unlocked hop on vzw website and boom ull be working.

There is no unlocking with Verizon/Alltel cdma phones.
    03-29-09 01:56 AM
    what about people unlocking the storms? is this solely because it has gsm radios?

now this is a random question if you did a system wipe and completely remove the os then reinstall and complete official release from vzw with the verizon vendor files would this allow it to work if the esn was clean? since the hardware is the same. it probably won't but i am just asking out of curiosity.
    03-29-09 02:04 AM
    Yes, they are unlocking Storms and using them on a GSM carrier. They aren't unlocking them and using them on a different CDMA carrier.

Loading the "Verizon" OS won't work because the OS really isn't Verizon's. RIM develops ALL the OS versions. They then release them to the carriers so that the carriers can test to be sure that the software works with their network infrastructure. Once the carrier is satisfied that the OS works with their network, then the carrier releases the OS.

The carrier's do not write the OS. The only thing the vendor.xml does is identify that a particular release was released by a particular carrier.

The other carrier specific things are coded into the ROM of the device and can't be altered by normal methods.
    03-29-09 08:10 AM
    hello
    what this knowing to be about the upgrading to a Curve from a Pearl?
    12-13-10 04:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD