09-07-09 01:44 PM
51 123
tools
    Sounds like contradiction
    08-27-09 09:24 AM
    no apology needed. I dont want to make it as lear cut as "if u dont travel, u dont need a blackberry." Don't read into that idea too much. I'm just saying that those who dont travel are the ones with the loudest voice against wifi progress, which makes no sense
    or this...
    08-27-09 09:25 AM
    Sounds like contradiction
    no contradiction and again, ur reading into words and not point! My POINT is that the voices against wifi are louder from the side that DOES NOT travel!

And this is a GLOBAL phone

I dont understand how this is a hard to grasp concept that requires continued desemination of my statement
    08-27-09 09:26 AM
    Ok I guess that i'm just making a fashion statement because I'm not travelling. Sorry I guess I just need to understand your logic
    08-27-09 09:34 AM
    Ok I guess that i'm just making a fashion statement because I'm not travelling. Sorry I guess I just need to understand your logic
    it ain't that hard! CONSUNTWAIT DAINO SON!
    08-27-09 09:41 AM
    OK I guess we'll say you can p*ss further...
    08-27-09 09:44 AM
    Grow up guys!
    08-27-09 10:00 AM
    The more I read about wi-fi and all, the more I can do without it I think. It is a nice to have but not deal breaker for me.
    08-27-09 11:09 AM
    Agreed. I would like it if I travel... which I hardly go to europe and such. And VZW has great coverage where I live so for the most part I'm always covered.
    08-27-09 11:15 AM
    I like my pink blackberry... its PURTY... and functional too...

spacey single mom + blackberry calender= at the soccer game on time! haha
    08-27-09 12:33 PM
    The more I read about wi-fi and all, the more I can do without it I think. It is a nice to have but not deal breaker for me.
    The point is that if you can wait a few weeks or months to upgrade, there will be many different Verizon offerings which include wifi... including BBs if that is your culture!
    08-27-09 01:09 PM
    I know, but then when I do that, then there will be something else to wait for, and so on.

For me, it was a big thing to say, I am going to spring for the Tour with the price drop rather than get a curve and wait for further price drops.

So I'll get it now and in the next 2 years, if I wish I had wi-fi, then obviously the next one will have it. It's just not a deal breaker for me. It's not as big a leap for me as going from my current LG enV phone to a BBerry.
    08-27-09 01:54 PM
    this is from bb site
    Overview
    A Wi-Fi enabled BlackBerry smartphone can access voice and data services using multiple radio technologies.

If the wireless service provider makes Unlicensed Mobile Access (UMA)/generic access network (GAN) technology available for subscription, the Wi-Fi enabled BlackBerry smartphone can access voice and data services over a mobile network and a Wi-Fi connection. UMA/GAN allows concurrent connections to data services over a Wi-Fi connection and voice services over the mobile network.

A Wi-Fi enabled BlackBerry smartphone can establish a Wi-Fi connection from an enterprise Wi-Fi network, a personal Wi-Fi network with a virtual private network (VPN) connection, or a hotspot with a VPN connection direct to the BlackBerry Router.

In addition, using a Wi-Fi network to connect directly to the BlackBerry Router, with or without a VPN session, or to the Internet on the appropriate port, a Wi-Fi enabled BlackBerry smartphone can access the BlackBerry Internet Service, BlackBerry Messenger, and personal identification number (PIN) messaging.

A Wi-Fi enabled BlackBerry smartphone requires a Subscriber Identity Module (SIM) card to connect to the BlackBerry Data Services over Wi-Fi for PIN messaging and BlackBerry Internet Service connectivity. It may also require a SIM card to connect to the BlackBerry Router on a BlackBerry Enterprise Server to access BlackBerry Data Services.
    09-03-09 02:14 PM
    It is rumored that all future Blackberrys, after the Tour, on Verizon will be wifi equipped. Personally, I doubt Verizon will allow UMA unless they can make money off of it.
    And they will.

I would say nothing's "concrete" untill its in my hand or on a store shelf.
    Really, the only concrete thing is a bunch or rocks and sand mixed with a little water....
    09-03-09 03:33 PM
    this is from bb site
    Overview.....

A Wi-Fi enabled BlackBerry smartphone requires a Subscriber Identity Module (SIM) card to connect to the BlackBerry Data Services over Wi-Fi for PIN messaging and BlackBerry Internet Service connectivity. It may also require a SIM card to connect to the BlackBerry Router on a BlackBerry Enterprise Server to access BlackBerry Data Services.
    Well lookie there - this time it is straight from RIM, instead of me.

Hey boys & girls - VZW doesn't use SIM cards. You would need to somehow activate a AT&T or T-Mobile SIM in a Tour/Storm.

So let's see here - can anyone else see that WiFi BlackBerrys probably will not be coming to VZW before LTE?

At the very least, quit talking about WiFi being a certainty before you can actually hold one in your hand.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-03-09 04:49 PM

Hey boys & girls - VZW doesn't use SIM cards. You would need to somehow activate a AT&T or T-Mobile SIM in a Tour/Storm.

So let's see here - can anyone else see that WiFi BlackBerrys probably will not be coming to VZW before LTE?

At the very least, quit talking about WiFi being a certainty before you can actually hold one in your hand.

Again. Untill that phone is sittin like a rock in my hand... its all S P E C U L A T I O N.
    09-03-09 06:22 PM

I'll give you credit, you're very persistent. I'm staring at a Verizon BlackBerry 9550 in my hand, with a black and white wifi symbol on the screen. May I ask why do you still think it's a myth? Pictures and videos aren't enough huh? Just take a L, and admit that you were wrong. Doing so doesn't make you less intelligent.
    09-04-09 08:59 AM
    I'll give you credit, you're very persistent. I'm staring at a Verizon BlackBerry 9550 in my hand, with a black and white wifi symbol on the screen. May I ask why do you still think it's a myth? Pictures and videos aren't enough huh? Just take a L, and admit that you were wrong. Doing so doesn't make you less intelligent.
    Pictures please.
    09-04-09 09:02 AM
    Pictures please.
    Pictures mean nothing - there were pictures with the same thing before the Curve & Storm came out.

Either way, it doesn't really matter here - the pre-production testers I have are crap - the most recent is two weeks old & has no WiFi. I don't buy crap, WiFi or no WiFi. When the new Pre arrives, people will forget about any version of Storm.

09-04-09 09:17 AM
    Pictures please.
    Ask Salomondrin for pictures. What me and him does are two different things, as he has the power to post whatever he wants. I just speak on personal references to either help with your decision or add excitement for the device. I don't post pictures and videos.

@Twins: Are you at liberty to discuss what was the .OS? I'm not knocking you, but I'm surprised you haven't seen one with Wi-Fi yet.
    Last edited by Sinternet Jr.; 09-04-09 at 09:21 AM.
    09-04-09 09:17 AM

?

The VZW Tour has a SIM card.
    09-04-09 09:25 AM
    ?

The VZW Tour has a SIM card.
    Yes - I alluded to that - but let's say you unlock your phone & get that AT&T or T-Mobile SIM to work. Are you going to pay for their service to use WiFi? The SIM is not active in North America.

09-04-09 09:39 AM

There was another thread about this that ended badly but I will jump in here again to try to explain why some people doubt the wifi option.

I have watched several of the videos you speak of but not one of them actually has showed the WIFI functioning. They all showed an option in the OS but that was all. As a matter of fact Salomondrin stated after one video that his had the WIFI option but not the hardware to use it. Pictures themselves can be faked.

Now I know this is just my opinion and I am not trying to convince anyone of anything. I just will not believe anything until the device is on Verizon shelves and I am able to pick it up, turn on the wifi, and actually be able to use it. Production models can change greatly from testing models. With the fact that AT&T will also be getting a version of Storm 2 at some point, there is always the possibility that the GSM version may be the only one to come out with WIFI.

As I said it is just my opinion. And I want WIFI to come to VZW BlackBerries. I am just not going to believe everything I read on the internet.
    09-04-09 12:11 PM
    Good grief everyone, does anyone own a wide slice toaster and not use it at all for wide slices of bread? I do... If so, did you buy it because it made wide slice toast that you might never use it for, or did you buy it because it looked nice and you liked the way that it toasted normal width bread as well?

Does anyone on this forum use ALL of the features and functions of Microsoft Office products, or just the few features that allow you to get through your day?

Do we have to use ALL of the features of a world phone, in order to enjoy the few features that allow each of us to get through each of our individual days?

Traveling internationally as a prerequisite to owning a world phone is absurd... Anyone who thinks it's a fashion statement should look in the mirror to see how they are dressed, and then look in the garage and examine the kind of car they drive... Then talk about "fashion statements"...
    09-05-09 08:32 PM
    I have watched several of the videos you speak of but not one of them actually has showed the WIFI functioning. They all showed an option in the OS but that was all. As a matter of fact Salomondrin stated after one video that his had the WIFI option but not the hardware to use it. Pictures themselves can be faked.
    Not even necessarily faked - RIM doesn't always fully tailor the OS on prototypes. No manufacturer does.

The first Storms I had all showed a WiFi option, but no radio. Same for the prototype 8330s. I still have a Tour with a WiFi option - choose it & the phone freezes up.

It is the same OS, regardless of radio technology - in the production models, certain OS features are turned off, removed or disabled. Think HP customized Windows & you'll get a rough idea.

Curve, Storm & Tour were all initially reported to have WiFi. News about Tour with WiFi died because after the first round of prototypes, because it was running a tweaked Storm OS & the WiFi option was missing. Storm was initially running the same backbone as Bold, so WiFi stayed in the options until right before release. Curve 8330 was running with the OS from 8320 until release. Folks sure were disappointed with these devices missing WiFi.

A bit of trivia - VZW commissioned RIM to design & build the Storm as an iPhone competitor. The original specs called for WiFi. RIM couldn't make it happen.

On the other side, AT&T commissioned RIM to design & build the Bold. The original specs called for some frequency compatibility that didn't come out because RIM couldn't do it with WiFi - AT&T wanted WiFi.

So as many of us have said - don't believe the videos, the images or the reviews. Not a one that I've seen shows WiFi in action - just an optional setting. When the device hits the shelves, you will then know.

And, from what I know - after using them, testing them & taking them apart, no WiFi radio.

But what do I know? I don't do things for a fansite hoping to drive up hits & traffic.

09-05-09 11:01 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD