09-07-09 12:44 PM
51 123
tools
    I have a question for all in here.
    I have not seen anything posted at all or published regarding WIFI on Verizon upcoming BB models.

Is WIFI only going to be able to support data only? Or is it going to be able to be used to make calls as well like Tmo's UMA service?

I had Tmo before and the WIFI and UMA feature was great for me signal wise. I was just curious.

I figured I guess one could use and should be able to use Google Voice or Skype like application to make calls over WIFI.

Either way was just curious since I was not sure at all and have not seen anything on what the WIFI will be able to be used for Data only, Data/Voice, etc.

Thanks
    08-25-09 12:41 AM
    It is rumored that all future Blackberrys, after the Tour, on Verizon will be wifi equipped. Personally, I doubt Verizon will allow UMA unless they can make money off of it.
    08-25-09 10:27 AM
    RUMOR has it... Key word... Rumor has it that storm 2 will have wifi... Honestly if it does it does if it doesn't its not the end of the world.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-25-09 10:46 AM
    With all the publicity of wifi on the Storm 2 it's pretty much concreat it will have it. Even CrackBerry hands on states it has wifi.
    08-25-09 02:46 PM
    I would say nothing's "concrete" untill its in my hand or on a store shelf.
    08-25-09 02:53 PM
    With wifi slowly but surely making its way aboard airliners, it will be something good to have. Because there is a spot where you will not have any available data service on the network.
    08-25-09 07:31 PM
    wifi... pppppft!

I'd prolly never even turn it on... its rare I dont ahve good enough service to use the network well.
    Glad the CDMA BBs are getting on board so I can stop hearing about it though.
    08-25-09 08:11 PM
    True always come in handy when you least expect it
    08-25-09 08:35 PM
    if u have a blackberry world phone and u dont travel at all, then u have a blackberry as a fashion statement, plain and simple. So while its not my job to judge why you have yours and whether you need it or not, its fair to say that non travelors should not have such a strong opinion about not needing wifi
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 08-25-09 at 11:40 PM.
    08-25-09 11:31 PM
    Yeah I know supposedly all BB coming out from this point forward is suppose to have wifi. Do hope that is true, just nice to have when you need it. I was trying to figure out what services or what one would be allowed to do with the wifi or will not be allowed to do with wifi or what services.

Other than the fact that despite how great VZW network is and is suppose to be (which it is good) I still dont get squat for signal at my apartment, my parents or my fiance'es.

So thus why wifi to me would be important so I can at least have some communication with the outside world and not have to step out side with a tinfoil hat on standing on one leg trying to get a signal :P

I just am curious since I have not seen anything where they have stated what would be allowed with wifi. Again not saying one needs it all the time but in my case it would just help out and augment the cell network.
    08-25-09 11:49 PM
    Its an old argument... "whens wifi coming? Whens wifi coming?"

Glad its finally going to be on a Verizon BB device... I just dont think its THAT important... theres more likely to be a cell signal than a wifi hotspot... but thats not everyones case... I'm sure theres a time and a place...
    *sigh* I'm not going to get into it... its my opinion and its ( my opinion ) not THAT important. wooo
    glad wifi will be on the Storm 2

woooo
    Last edited by heather.law; 08-25-09 at 11:54 PM.
    08-25-09 11:52 PM
    Wouldn't wifi be more valuable outside the USA? I am not sure exactly what UMA actually means. If a global phone had wifi, couldn't I use it to connect to the internet overseas independent of the carrier's overseas data plan?

Could one use it to make Skype phone calls from overseas and avoid high cellualr roaming charges?
    08-26-09 07:36 AM
    I would think yes. But it would be even better if the BB had a tiny webcam on the same side as the screen.
    08-26-09 07:52 AM
    I would think yes. But it would be even better if the BB had a tiny webcam on the same side as the screen.
    Just read that Nokia is coming out with a netbook... the lines between the platforms are getting fuzzier all the time!
    08-26-09 12:36 PM
    if u have a blackberry world phone and u dont travel at all, then u have a blackberry as a fashion statement, plain and simple.
    So, because the Tour is brand new and someone wants it for BBM,Apps,Email, but are not travelling they are "posers" making a fashion statement...
    Yeah that makes sense.
    08-26-09 12:43 PM
    Yeah... POSER! It does make sense...
    LOL

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-26-09 03:48 PM
    If you like a BB and the best one on your network you like happens to be a world phone how is this a fashion statement? You do not have to travel abroad to have a world phone, just like you do not need to be a business man/woman to get a BB in the first place.
    08-26-09 09:21 PM
    as I said in the very same statement... I will never judge the reasoning for wanting a blackberry, as there are many other than the world phone capabilities. I only point out that for it to be a true world phone, it needs to have connectivity options. And those who scream the loudest about wifi being overated or not necessary are those who never travel. So all I have said is that those voices should not speak so opinionated since the phone is designed with "THE TRAVELOR" in mind!

its a simple point
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 08-26-09 at 11:39 PM.
    08-26-09 11:34 PM
    I was not commenting on wifi. I think it should be on every BB device. Actually i think it should be included in any computer type device that is capable of accessing the internet. Even if you don't use it why would you not want the option? I don't even have a wifi capable device in my home but I maintain a wireless network just in case. If someone comes over with one it is available for them to use.

And I did not mean to sound rude or anything. I apologize if I sounded that way. I was simply making the point that at the current time the best BBs on VZW would be the Tour or Storm and both are world phones.
    08-26-09 11:41 PM
    no apology needed. I dont want to make it as lear cut as "if u dont travel, u dont need a blackberry." Don't read into that idea too much. I'm just saying that those who dont travel are the ones with the loudest voice against wifi progress, which makes no sense
    08-26-09 11:52 PM
    With WiFi being so widespread in the US and abroad, I find it hard to imagine why anybody would argue against having it available on their device, BB or otherwise.

Even if you don't use it now, you would likely do so if it were available, in certain siuations.

And if it were on your device and you don't want/need to use it, just keep it turned off.

With the wide spread availability of WiFi around the world and it being relatively inexpensive for manufacturers to install, I think all smartphones should come with WiFi as a standard feature.

That being said, it should also be required that all service providers allow the use of WiFi on their networks. (listening VZW?)
    Last edited by Berrydale; 08-27-09 at 12:16 AM. Reason: spelling & punctuation
    08-27-09 12:13 AM
    that is what I been saying on here for over a year with much resistance from carrier loyalist for strange reasons. As for Verizon not wanting it, there's obviously a financial reason behind that considering that they do offer global plans that will be less popular if wifi was available on blackberries.
    08-27-09 12:18 AM
    that is what I been saying on here for over a year with much resistance from carrier loyalist for strange reasons. As for Verizon not wanting it, there's obviously a financial reason behind that considering that they do offer global plans that will be less popular if wifi was available on blackberries.
    Which in turn makes their global plans less attractive to all of us who do travel!
    08-27-09 06:47 AM
    "I will never judge the reasoning for wanting a blackberry"

if u have a blackberry world phone and u dont travel at all, then u have a blackberry as a fashion statement, plain and simple.
    That sounds like judging the reasoning for getting a blackberry...
    You are basically saying that if my reasoning for getting a blackberry with global capabilites is anything but using it globally then I shouldn't have it.
    08-27-09 08:13 AM
    "I will never judge the reasoning for wanting a blackberry"

That sounds like judging the reasoning for getting a blackberry...
    You are basically saying that if my reasoning for getting a blackberry with global capabilites is anything but using it globally then I shouldn't have it.
    why dont u read the rest of my statement after that?

So while its not my job to judge why you have yours and whether you need it or not, its fair to say that non travelors should not have such a strong opinion about not needing wifi
    08-27-09 08:22 AM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD