I hesitated to post this, didn't want to start another wifi war
    This isn't just about Sprint it includes VZ also. Makes sense to me, take some of the data burden off the networks but still collect the same data revenue.

There's also a thread in the Tour forum on this.

Sprint's BlackBerry Tour to sprout WiFi next year - FierceWireless
    Last edited by sprke81; 07-09-09 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Both links I posted was from the same source. Delete one link.
    07-09-09 11:09 PM
    No CDMA with wifi. Sorry
    07-09-09 11:39 PM
    ^^ako, CDMA carriers are going to have Wi-Fi next year. So your post is indicative that you didn't read the article.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-09-09 11:43 PM
    No CDMA with wifi. Sorry
    Plenty of WinMo phones that are CDMA and support WiFi.
    07-10-09 12:45 AM
    Maybe Sprint can also mandate they don't lose a million customers a quarter anymore.

07-10-09 12:46 AM
    sprint comment hilarious
    07-10-09 01:20 AM
    Hey gang - the second gen Tour is being promised in a WiMAX version, supposedly after an LTE version - but it probably won't hit until late 2010 or early 2011.

WiMAX is hopped up WiFi.

Sprint is going WiMAX.

VZW is going LTE.

Put two & two together.

07-10-09 02:09 AM
    This was posted late yesterday on phonescoop.

Verizon and Sprint to Add Wi-Fi to BlackBerries
    Yesterday, 4:59 PM by Eric M. Zeman updated Yesterday, 9:06 PM

Sprint Nextel recently revealed that it plans to add Wi-Fi to the BlackBerry Tour starting in 2010, and will begin to require that all its future smartphones come with Wi-Fi. Sprint didn't say exactly when this requirement will be reflected across its entire line-up of devices, but Wi-Fi is definitely on the way. Verizon Wireless also admitted that it will begin adding Wi-Fi to its BlackBerry line-up in the future, but it didn't reveal a timeframe. Wi-Fi is absent on devices such as the current 9630 Tour and 9530 Storm.
    07-10-09 08:15 AM
    I would say cool...
    I'll believe it when I have one in my greedy little hand.
    07-10-09 08:32 AM
    Here is interesting thought though. When and if this happens, will VZW still require a data plan?

Please keep any debate on this matter civil. For if you do not I am mod hammer will close this thread
    07-10-09 08:38 AM
    Here is interesting thought though. When and if this happens, will VZW still require a data plan?

Please keep any debate on this matter civil. For if you do not I am mod hammer will close this thread
    I would think that any wifi data plan would be billed like the current MiFi that VZW offers.

I could be wrong and have no proof whatsoever of any of this but I see a major restructuring of how data plans are billed within the next few years. As the network for VZW grows and gets more indepth with the newer technologies. If you've been a data user on VZW over the years you have seen the price drop.
    07-10-09 09:59 AM

Absolutely they will still require data plans. If they don't they are shooting themselves in the foot by offering wifi.

07-10-09 10:01 AM

It's not a hammer, it's STICK! Mod Stick! Yes I think they will still require a data plan, but I DO believe wifi is coming. I'm hearing, and I believe the Storm 2 will be VZW's first wifi BB. Should be out JUST in time for my annual upgrade.
    07-10-09 11:18 AM
    Disco Stick, maybe? Sorry....had too. LOL.
    07-10-09 11:20 AM

They will always require a data plan thats what they do
    07-10-09 11:27 AM
    Data with bb is a given. Having smartphones without data is just being a poseur.

07-10-09 07:30 PM
    As Sarah Palin would say "You betch ya!" That's the only reason VZW is opening up to allowing WiFi on their smartphones.
    07-10-09 07:42 PM
    As Sarah Palin would say "You betch ya!" That's the only reason VZW is opening up to allowing WiFi on their smartphones.
    Then why did I have an htc6800 on verizon two years ago? It had wifi and didn't require a data plan. Still had the data plan because wifi was a joke.

07-10-09 09:29 PM
    I would think that any wifi data plan would be billed like the current MiFi that VZW offers.
    To clarify, the MiFi does not require a WiFi data plan, it requires a data plan. The only thing that the MiFi does is allow 5 devices to connect via WiFi to Verizon's 3G data services.

The difference here is, when you use the MiFi, you are still using Verizon's 3G data services. When you use WiFi on a smart phone, the data is running directly through whatever that WiFi router is connected to, so maybe your DSL or Cable at home (or the neighbors ).

And why wouldn't VzW require a data plan? You can't get any of the smart phones currently available with WiFi without a data plan.
    07-10-09 11:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD