Good morning!

Perhaps some of my problems yesterday were related to the BIS outage, and if that is true, then we can disregard this whole question, but assuming that the BIS/data outage wasn't the problem:

Two Storms == both bought in the same store, same time. Both have since upgraded to .148 and both did *228 yesterday.

One has service in all rooms of my house -- good clear service, and the other does not. Of course, the one that does not, is mine, which lives in said house.

Any ideas? I had the hybrid PRL pushed to my phone and kept it for several weeks -- it helps service in that location, but means that service at work is terrible and my data service was bad overall, so I went back to the VZW wireless PRL by doing the *228 yesterday. The other storm did it yesterday too and then tested the service by calling me and moving around the house and her service was great.

Is there something about the phone itself that might be the problem? (Assuming it wasn't the outage, which was affecting some phones and not others -- if it is that, I'll be perfectly happy as that will be fixable.) If it is my Storm, I need to figure it out, so I can get it fixed or replaced.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Libby
    08-14-09 10:06 AM
    Do both of the phones have the same area code and prefix? One phone can be disrupted by an outage, leaving the other in the same area but different prefix (the area where the outage was) with service but still in the same household.
    08-14-09 02:17 PM
    Hmmm -- vewwy interesting! They have the same area code, but different prefix.

Hmmm -- will be interesting to test this afternoon when I get home to see if my lack of service, especially data service was due to the outage, or if there is something else going on.

One thing I realized -- I didn't do a battery pull after I *228 updated my roaming. As soon as I did a battery pull this morning, missing emails appeared in my phone. Hmmmm. Weird.
    08-14-09 02:21 PM
    One thing I realized -- I didn't do a battery pull after I *228 updated my roaming. As soon as I did a battery pull this morning, missing emails appeared in my phone. Hmmmm. Weird.
    Do the PRL updates & battery pulls on both devices, then check them side by side again. As for exchange (prefix), you can check to see if they are on the same central office (CO) at NANPA : North American Numbering Plan Administration. Check under Numbering Resources.

If all is equal, and the two devices are still operating differently, you have issues with a device.

The CO effect is probably the least of your concerns if both are working. Unless you live in a larger city, most VZW numbers tend to be housed within the same CO. Where you might see some variation is if one of the numbers was ported from another carrier. Still, side by side, both phones should be on the same tower - data is more tower-based, while voice services are more CO-specific.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-14-09 02:46 PM
    Still very interesting. They are alltel numbers that we totally switched to VZW on the day of the official merger here.

One is an original Alltel number -- like really early issue one, and the other was issued in the last two years.

also interesting is that an ENV Dare is used in the house and it always has good signal when my BB does not.

Argh. I had pretty good signal, but not data with the Alltel hybrid PRL on my phone but it sucked everywhere but home.

I keep telling myself it is just a growing pain issue that will eventually be fixed. Right? <sigh>
    08-14-09 03:00 PM
    Still very interesting. They are alltel numbers that we totally switched to VZW on the day of the official merger here.

One is an original Alltel number -- like really early issue one, and the other was issued in the last two years.

also interesting is that an ENV Dare is used in the house and it always has good signal when my BB does not.

Argh. I had pretty good signal, but not data with the Alltel hybrid PRL on my phone but it sucked everywhere but home.

I keep telling myself it is just a growing pain issue that will eventually be fixed. Right? <sigh>
    Should be the same, with both originally Alltel - check to be certain both phones have the same PRL version.

Also, comparing BB signal with LG, Moto or Samsung phones is asking for unhappiness - those phones' radios will smoke a BlackBerry radio. BlackBerrys are typically the first phones in the group to lose signal.

Another oddity I've seen a lot of lately - it doesn't affect everyone and those it does affect don't see it everytime - but PRL updates can sometimes kill your data connection. A RIM programmer confirmed my suspicions - it isn't the fault of the PRL update or the OS, but some third-party apps will slow down the OS recognition of the update. Security protections see the update as a threat & shut down the connection. You then need to resend service books.

So you update to get a better connection & end up losing it. Go figure.

08-14-09 03:28 PM
    Good to know about comparing signal with the LG. My BB is still cooler, tho that phone my 14 year old buddy has is pretty cool!

Will check the PRL version and will see -- I did the battery pull this morning on my way into work and wham! Had full bars as soon as it rebooted. But, however, I had also just gotten onto I-10 and I have suspicions that the service is just better there for everyone, three miles from my house. Those three miles can be a big difference -- they are with my Tmo G1. :

I'll look at the PRLs tonight if I see my friend at dinner -- I'd think they were the same, as we both did it yesterday.

Should you do a batt pull after updating PRL as a general rule?

Thanks!
    08-14-09 05:16 PM
    do they both have the same software?? some software platforms produce different radio reception.
    08-14-09 05:28 PM
    Yes...... I believe so

08-14-09 05:29 PM
    Should you do a batt pull after updating PRL as a general rule?
    No - some platforms require a reboot, but BlackBerry & WM are not on that list. Those that do need to reboot will do it for you - witness a PRL update on an LG flip phone, for example. So if the device doesn't auto-reboot and you have no problems afterward, don't pull the battery.

As a general rule of thumb, you should only do a battery pull when absolutely necessary. Yanking the power source on any electronic device will do progressive long-term damage to the components. Radios and audio amplifiers are the most susceptible to the damage & each time you do it, a little more damage is done. The damage is slight, but it can add up. The older the device, the more damage. So a six month old smartphone will take a bigger hit than will a brand new one.

You don't turn off your TV, computer or stereo system by yanking the cord; you should also not do it with a smartphone, if at all possible.

When you pull the battery or unplug an active device, it suddenly leaves the current with nowhere to go. You can carefully walk into a block wall without injury. Run full speed into one repeatedly and you will notice injury - and each time you do it, the more bruises & broken bones you will accumulate, until you can no longer function. The difference is that you self-heal, while a smartphone cannot.

The only current devices I have that require an occasional battery pull are all made by RIM. The rest can be fully restarted without ever looking at the battery cover.

08-14-09 06:03 PM
    No - some platforms require a reboot, but BlackBerry & WM are not on that list. Those that do need to reboot will do it for you - witness a PRL update on an LG flip phone, for example. So if the device doesn't auto-reboot and you have no problems afterward, don't pull the battery.

As a general rule of thumb, you should only do a battery pull when absolutely necessary. Yanking the power source on any electronic device will do progressive long-term damage to the components. Radios and audio amplifiers are the most susceptible to the damage & each time you do it, a little more damage is done. The damage is slight, but it can add up. The older the device, the more damage. So a six month old smartphone will take a bigger hit than will a brand new one.

You don't turn off your TV, computer or stereo system by yanking the cord; you should also not do it with a smartphone, if at all possible.

When you pull the battery or unplug an active device, it suddenly leaves the current with nowhere to go. You can carefully walk into a block wall without injury. Run full speed into one repeatedly and you will notice injury - and each time you do it, the more bruises & broken bones you will accumulate, until you can no longer function. The difference is that you self-heal, while a smartphone cannot.

The only current devices I have that require an occasional battery pull are all made by RIM. The rest can be fully restarted without ever looking at the battery cover.

Okay, so now I have a question. Could the frequent battery pulls be contributing to the radio issues and problems you've mentioned regarding BBs? I mean, it makes sense. The fastest way to destroy a computer is to mess with the power source. Voltage, amperage and general current fluctuations all damage a computer. Doing a battery pull on a BB effectively causes some mean power fluctiations and a smartphone is really just a micro sized computer.
    08-14-09 07:18 PM
    Hmm -- the plot thickens.

I am home now and have a great 1xev signal. And no data service. I'm off to look at the outage thread to see if that is the problem, but this is frustrating.

I have phone and SMS and no data. Argh.

I've been doing a battery pull at least once a day, as instructed when I got the phone. Will it make any difference to use quick pull instead? Or will it have the same bad effect?

Thanks for all the help guys!
    08-14-09 09:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD