There are 2 updates after the one on my phone and I keep wondering why VZW wont put them out? I really dont like using the leaked versions as I have had problems doing that in the past. Totaly bricked a Tour and dont wan to take the chance with the 9930. Anyone have an idea when they might be released on VZW?
    10-11-11 01:40 PM
    You run the same risk of "bricking" your phone on a leaked vs official OS.

Carrier official releases are always insanely slow. Waiting ~a year for a single update is not uncommon.
    10-11-11 02:02 PM
    Not to mention that Verizon has made it clear that they have no love for BlackBerry. I went onto MyVerizon to check out my bill and under each of the devices in my family plan (even my mom's basic phone) is a button with "Pre-order iPhone 4s". None of my devices is eligible for an upgrade until over a year from today.

Are they targeting BlackBerry owners or are they putting that button on everyone's accounts? Why didn't they put "Pre-order your new Torch" buttons on my account when they were close to releasing them?

Then right below that is a new section headed with: "Learn to use your BlackBerry Torch™ 9850 smartphone like a pro" followed by a list of classes you can sign up for online or at your local Verizon store to use your phone. That is great, but they are ALL FOR ANDROID PHONES AND iPHONES! Sigh.
    10-11-11 02:35 PM
    Are they targeting BlackBerry owners or are they putting that button on everyone's accounts? Why didn't they put "Pre-order your new Torch" buttons on my account when they were close to releasing them?
    It's not only that, but the devices sell differently. BB devices don't really tend to sell because of carrier supported, pre-release hype. There was pretty much zero carrier pre-release hype for the 9900/9930s and they still sold very well regardless.
    10-11-11 03:42 PM
    It's not only that, but the devices sell differently. BB devices don't really tend to sell because of carrier supported, pre-release hype. There was pretty much zero carrier pre-release hype for the 9900/9930s and they still sold very well regardless.
    I believe it must be in their contract with Apple, as AT&T does the same thing and also as much as I love BB, the iPhone is the best selling smartphone on the market and it is only natural that they want to make it as easy as possible to order one.
    10-14-11 12:25 AM
    There are 2 updates after the one on my phone and I keep wondering why VZW wont put them out? I really dont like using the leaked versions as I have had problems doing that in the past. Totaly bricked a Tour and dont wan to take the chance with the 9930. Anyone have an idea when they might be released on VZW?
    There are actually more than just 2, there are probably a couple dozen that were tested by the carriers, these are just the ones that leaked out. This is normal and expected with BB and while VZW tends to be a little slower than other carriers at it there really isn't any pressing need to upgrade the OS works just fine. There is some talk about slightly improved battery life in one of the builds but there are always tradeoffs.

In case you're not familiar this is the cycle of OS upgrades:

* every few days an OS build is generated, and tested inside of RIM.
    * Some of these never make it past alpha testing in the lab
    * others are passed onto RIM's own field test team
    * builds that are deemed good enough are passed onto carriers for testing. Some carriers test every build they are given others just ignore the bulk of them and test new builds only as needed or if they are looking to add a new feature or fix bugs. This is where most leaks come from.
    * What OS is released is entirely up to carriers and some carriers are more aggressive than others.

If you want you can load an unofficial build on your device and NO contrary to popular believe it does NOT void the warranty. But yes you always run the risk of bricking your device and while most of the time it is recoverable (you loose any un backed up data) occasionally it isn't.

I've used a lot of BB devices and gone the route of both running leaked/alternate carrier OS's and just sticking with stock. I've almost always (the Storm 9530 and Tour 9630 being the notable exceptions) had better luck with the stock OS's.

Why are you so concerned about having a newer OS? Newer does not always mean better. If the phone feels slow to you reboot it once a day (BB7 takes a minute and a half or so to reboot) but I personally haven't had the need to yet on my 9930.
    3dogsnme likes this.
    10-14-11 12:39 AM
    O/S update for Verizon Torch 9850 coming out tomorrow 10/18/11
    Last edited by MeetJoeAsian; 10-17-11 at 10:00 PM.
    10-17-11 09:58 PM
    How about YESTERDAY!!!!!!!!!!!
    10-19-11 10:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD